I am faced with serious decisions here - Can you help me find the answer?..

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest social family

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am going to reveal details of a personal nature here. These details may reveal who I am to anyone looking to finally expel me from the organization - but frankly that it of little importance compared to what I am now having to decide. I ask those who here - with either the qualifications, or who can direct me to those with such, to respond. I can make this decision without your aid - but I know there are many here who could and will add insight that has not occured to me. So here goes;

My only daughter is the mother of three children - all have different fathers. She is currently incarcerated for a non-violent crime, but one that will see her behind bars for some time to come. Wifey and I have become the 'parents in abstensia', both out of a sense of obligation to keep the kids together, and out of natural love of family. The girls are 6 and 4 years respectively. The boy is just 18 months old. We have had them in our custody pretty much since the day he was born.

The girls are having 'identiy issues' already - questions like "Why do we not have the same Daddy?" or "When is my Daddy going to come over and see me?" Things like that - but it is on their minds. The grandson has no idea at his age of any of this - He calls me 'Pa' and his grandmother 'Ma'. He has only seen his mom a couple times due to distance.

Herein lies the rub of the moment: Last nite we get a letter from our daughter informing us that the boys' Dad has been in touch with her, and that he may wish to initiate contact with his biological son. He has not ever seen him to my knowledge. He has been a 'sperm donor' at best. Anyway - in anticipation of our surprise at this she has asked us to 'treat him with kindness' should he show up here. Of course, we treat all with kindness, so this goes unspoken. But this guy has no legal rights at this point - he has never claimed patternity, he is not named as father on the BC, and I don't even know the guys name at this point.

Wifey and I are of opinion that we should take the position that if he wants to be a 'father' to this child, he needs to legally establish his paternity, then obtain legal visitation or custody as the law allows, before we will allow him contact with the child. Otherwise we are not going to allow a virtual stranger into our home. We are further concerned about confusing the role model issues with the girls.Their 'fathers' [can you say sperm donors] are not involved in their lives much at this point. One is a dead-beat dad most of the time, and has only seen his bio-daughter a few times. The other is also in jail on unrelated matters.

I think this is the way we should go. But I don't know the law in this regard. We have legal custody of the child, have supported him and the girls 100% for the past year and a half, provide well for them in all regards. In short, we are doing our best to be good parent/grandparents in a very emotional and difficult time for these children. Seems as though the state agencies have little helpful advise - apparently the problem is so widespread they are just content to leave good enough alone if the kids are together and well cared for.

I know this must sound like we are a messed up family. Not really so. Our daughter has lead a seriously dangerous lifestyle in rebellion against all things in authority, and has brought a host of problems on all of us - but wifey and I are solid, hard-working, respectable people. We live in a decent neighborhood, have a dog and two cats, care about our neighbors, have a good reputation, and spend too much time on apostate websites. [just a little levity there to lighten the mood].

Sorry for the length of this post - please advise if you are qualified or experienced in matters similar. Of course all opinions are ok- but we really want to have some sound advice in this matter from those 'in the know' so to speak.

I will be away at work most the weekend - but any thoughts on the matter are appreciated and I will check them later today also.

Thank you all for listening - though this is not a pity party - I know that good advice can come from the fine people here, and that is the reason I post this matter.

Jeff

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

M y condolences to you and yours in this troublesome time.

I have no certain information but I firmly believe you should contact an attorney who specializes in these matters.

Perhaps you should either adopt or be granted legal custody of the children?

The past and potentially future instability of the father(s) does not bode well for counting on them to be "reasonable."

Protect the children and yourselves.

Best wishes.

• daystar
    daystar

I most certainly agree here with JW_Researcher.

If the decision is made to let the father see your grandson, I think it would probably be best to do so without the other two present.

It might be difficult for the two girls to see their baby brother get to see his father, when they never see theirs (I'm assuming?).

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

If you have legal custody, the FIRST thing you should do is contact your attorney. No way this guy should be allowed to disrupt the life you are providing for your grandchildren (good for you) without some sort of committment from him. The laws are now leaning towards fathers' rights however, and if he is sincere, I would make sure you have your ducks in a row. He will have to establish paternity first and his motives for this sudden desire to see his son, then work out arrangements with YOU for visitation. You can then request supervised visitation at first, nothing wrong with that, but I agree, don't let him in your house. I was advised at the beginning of my custody case that without custody established, if my ex were to take our son out of the country or refuse to return him during one of his visits, it would be difficult to get him back, as he was his legal father. Get the paternity established first before you decide on any type of visitation!

As for the girls, explain to them that the fact their BSD (as I refer to my own daughters "father") were not ready for the responsibility of fatherhood. It wasn't their fault it was a decision that they made. Assure them that you love them and their mother loves them and no matter what you will be there for them. My daughter recently went thru this with her own BSD and after getting his address & whatnot, decided she did not want to talk to him. She feels (she's 16 now) that it was his choice, and it was a bad one for him in her opinion, why should she bother now. She may change her mind, who knows. She does have the benefit of knowing who he is and how to get in contact with him, not sure if you have that available.

I'm sorry you are going thru this, but I applaud you for taking care of your grandkids, you're amazing in my book.

SK

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good advice !! But my only recommendation is DONT have him in your home for the first visit.(If he doesnt know where you live). I have a simular situation going on in my family>>>.Get a GOOd lawyer.

I know that is hard to find... But search around. Good luck ...You dont have to convince Mouthy your decent folks. Anyone that would take on that job have to be Angels....

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Jeff,

As you know, I don't have any legal credentials, but I do have some experience with similar situations.

As far as I know, without paternity, he is just as you described; a virtual stranger. I would highly recommend going the "establish paternity and visitation if you want to see the kids route." Don't be a hardass about it or anything. Just tell the guy you have two choices, to allow him in your home or to allow him to take the child... he will likely present alternatives and those might be reasonable.

But the bottom line is if he wants to wear the daddy-pants, then he needs to step up and sign up. The nice part about this is establishes guidelines, and it also FORCES HIM to actually do something proactive in terms of taking care of his children. If he is serious, then a couple grand to a lawyer will show that. If he isn't willling to do those things, then it will show he is qualified to own a dog maybe but not for parenthood.

Try to keep it amicable though. Biology takes precedence from a legal standpoint. He could mount a legal battle to gain custody. I am not sure that you could do anything about it, and it would be unfortunate for the other children. I don't know about bio grandparents, but in the case of non-bio adoption you pretty much have to prove the other parent is unfit! Not an easy or inexpensive thing to do legally.

I would do everything you could to keep the other children out of the loop whatever you do. They don't need to know about any visit from other baby-daddy's.

Just give them all as much normalcy, discipline, and love as you can. Whatever you do, do it with their best interests in mind. As long as you do that everything should be ok.

Good luck. Sorry about all the drama. Take care.

CYP

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Perhaps you should either adopt or be granted legal custody of the children?

Jw Researcher - yes we have legal custody at the moment -

It might be difficult for the two girls to see their baby brother get to see his father, when they never see theirs (I'm assuming?).

Yes, Daystar, I agree. Thanx

I was advised at the beginning of my custody case that without custody established, if my ex were to take our son out of the country or refuse to return him during one of his visits, it would be difficult to get him back, as he was his legal father. ; Get the paternity established first before you ;decide on ;any type of visitation!

Agreed, Seeking. Thanx

.(If he doesnt know where you live).

So far he doesn't as far as I know, Grace.

But the bottom line is if he wants to wear the daddy-pants, then he needs to step up and sign up. ; The nice part about this is establishes guidelines, and it also FORCES HIM to actually do something proactive in terms of taking care of his children. ; If he is serious, then a couple grand to a lawyer will show that. ; If he isn't willling to do those things, then it will show he is qualified to own a dog maybe but not for parenthood.

CYP - Right with my thinking at the moment. Thanx

Thanx all. So far I see most thinking in the same vein as I and Wifey at this time. I will check back later on - so thanx all.

Jeff

• rebel8
    rebel8

I know a few ppl who have been in similar situations. They arranged for the bio parents to meet with the kid in a restaurant. After that, both parties lost interest. In their case it seemed they were just curious and dropped their plans to pursue a relationship after they met once.(Please don't construe this as advice! I am completely ignorant in these matters. Simply sharing a story FWIW.)

You are good people for taking care of your family the way you do!

• ferret
    ferret

I agree you should make him prove paternity and also with the other person that said not to let him come to your home.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

(((((((((((AK - Jeff))))))))))))

This sounds like a really tough situation for you and your family, my heart goes out to you. It must be so hard for you to know what to do, and so hard for your grandchildren to understand everything that's going on.

I'm sorry I can't offer any good advice on this situation, I really don't know what to say. The others here seem to all agree that finding a good lawyer who specializes in situations like yours, so that's probably your best bet.

And please be careful with this, for your family's sake. I know you'll handle this as best as you can, just be extra-careful with your grandson's father, since you don't know much about him, and be careful with the girls, they'll probably be confused about the whole thing.

I know you'll make the right decisions. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Keep us posted!!

-Becka :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit