Thinking of coming out of the apostate closet

by Brigid 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Brigid
    Brigid

My Dear Fellow Sojourners,

I am in deep repose today. As free as I feel from the Organization, there is still one tiny veil yet to be lifted. That one in front of my face--my very identity. I have been doing much inner journeying (one reason why I'm here). I feel free yet I hesitate to freely post my picture here.

Why?

What am I afraid of? The only answer I can come up with is my mother and my brother. They are the only family I have in the organization. They know that I am no longer a JW. My brother knows I told all kinds of dirty little JW secrets to a counselor after I exited about the organization. But that I am what they would consider openly apostate? That I, on an almost daily basis, speak what I believe to be my truths against the organization?

What would they think? Would they not love me anymore? Yes, that is the fear. That I would lose their conditional love. That the even limited association (occasional phone calls, mostly at my initiation) would come to a complete halt. I miss my brother the most. He had some bad experiences while he journied outside of the organization and came to the conclusion that inside the 4 windowless walls of the kingdom hall was where he and his children need to be. We used to be so close. We'd talk and laugh all the time. We had a running SNL/MadTV skit going all the time. Now he hardly ever jokes or laughs. I miss him terribly.

So, here I stand at an exit in the road. I can continue in the safety of my anonymity or exit off into freedom. The freedom of lifting the veil off of my face.

Anybody had experiences "coming out"?

Input appreciated.

Loving regards,

~Brigid

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am probably at the same stage as you -wondering if and when to come out of the apostate closet - not an easy decision as far as I am concerned

• jstalin
    jstalin

You have the opportunity to show them that a good and successful person can leave the organization and still be good and successful in life.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

You are kind and sweet. I wish you luck regardless of what you decide.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Thanks guys. I do not expect to make this decision overnight. But when I do, I'm posting my pic! (unless I decide not to)...

~Brigid

• daystar
    daystar

I am in almost the same position as you. (Surprise! Surprise!) My entire family is out except my mother and father. My father seems to be on his way out though.

I just don't want them being told that their son is considered "Apostate". Even though I don't consider myself to be, I'm sure my mother would believe the Org over me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

"to thine own self be true"

Each must decide the when and how - the inevitable course had been set when you learned the 'truth' of the 'Truth'.

Good Luck.

Jeff

• Brigid
    Brigid

I am in almost the same position as you. (Surprise! Surprise!)

Separated at birth? I was born in Tarrant county at Harris Hospital---oh wait, a little (very little ) before you were!

~Brigid

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I was in your position Brigid. After a lot of thinking I realized for me fear was not a good reason to stay in the closet. I dont think fear by itself is a good reason to do or not do anything. It boiled down to honesty to myself and the people I love. I let the chips fall where they would and its been an adventure in living with where they fell.

I can say it was the hardest thing I've ever done but I'm a new and better person for it. I always thought I could do anything if I put my mind to it. After this experience, I know I can.

All the best in whatever descision you make.

Freedom from fear is the sweetest freedom

Matt Foster
    Uvalde TX

• daystar
    daystar
    I was born in Tarrant county at Harris Hospital

Heh, Baylor Dallas here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit