With the recent media attention to the blood issue, public interest in this issue is heightened. I am considering publishing a book about the blood issue. My tentative plan for the book's contents:
- Introduction with a chapter(s) explaining the blood issue, teachings, legal issues, etc.
- my own story about almost dying several times due to refusal of blood/avoidance of preventative medical care as a child
- submitted stories written by those whose lives were affected by the blood issue (the "patient" being themselves, relatives, or friends)
My tentative plan to publish the book would be self publication (along with the rest of my books), and submission to "real" publishers to try and get a contract.
I need to determine if there is sufficient interest before I could proceed. I would need numerous submissions in order to support the project. The project would move forward as soon as there are enough submissions and I have the time to work on it. That being the case, I cannot yet give a projected finish date.
If you have a personal story or one you are aware of and would like to contribute, here are some points to consider:
- Note if you wish to have your name revealed or not in the book. Very important!
- Provide references to support your story if they exist. (i.e., news clippings, obituaries, etc.) If it is a loved one who died, you may submit photos.
- Your story should be written with your audience in mind. Your audience is the general public, i.e., a person who has absolutely zero knowledge about JWs and their blood teachings except for what they read in the introductory chapter (described above).
- Please be sure to elaborate on your emotions and how you suffered to make the story as compelling as possible.
- Of course, no profanity or overtly hostile/threatening comments would be published. (Sorry to have to mention that but from experience it's unfortunately necessary.)
Send me the story (preferably in the text of the email or in a Word attachment) to beth s author at hot mail dot com. You can send photos, clippings, etc. in attachments too. I will confirm receipt of your email by emailing you back. FYI I have had some trouble with receiving lengthy emails or attachments, so if you do not hear back from me, it is because I didn't receive your message. If that happens, PM me here on JWD and we'll figure out a workaround. THANKS!