A survey

by deneranys 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• unique1
    unique1

Welcome and good for you!!! I sent an email as well.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Hello and welcome to the board!!!! Your post made me what to stand up and clap for you. I'm so glad you are living your life.

When I took DeDevelopmental Psychology the development of identity in adolescence was the thing that most fascinated me, too! I am so glad I took that class in my general ed.

I am going to email you for the survey for sure!

Please check out this post I wrote about identity development in JW kids if you have time and tell me what you think about my theory: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10438/1.ashx

I don't even know you yet, but I am already so proud of you for living your life and doing what you need to do. It must have been frightening to make that leap. I think it is so exciting when someone says, "Hey! This is MY life and I'm gonna live it just how I think it ought to be lived!"

I will email,

-Lisa

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome & good luck with the survey. I was an adult when I was hooked.. So HAPPY to hear your FREE!!!!!!!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi Deneranys. Welcome to the board. I was 19 when I started studying.

Cellist

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Deneranys-

I emailed you earlier. It takes alot of strength and courage to do what you are doing! Welcome to the board!

shelley

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

That's a great topic for a paper. I'm new here too and your post struck a particularly similar chord with me. . I know from experience that a JW adolescent misses out on learning so many fundamentally important social skills because of the isolation from "the world". Not to mention that we never got to believe in Santa!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

There are some questions as to the validity of your methodology, especially with regards to your control groups and sampling. I believe the results you recieve from these respondents will invalidate your research. You are comparing/contrasting non-JW adolescents and JW-adolescents and their respective development, correct? However, most of the responses you receive here will be from persons who have left the Jehovah's Witness faith. You need responses from those who were raised as, and continue to be, Jehovah's Witnesses. And, it is highly unlikely that will you obtain such responses. .

• deneranys
    deneranys

I know that establishing validity in this test is high nigh near impossible. The survey isn't the basis for most of my research, I have peer reviewed psychological articles concerning studies on adolescents, religion, etc. that I will be using to assert my theories. Surveys in general, and surveys that give you only a limited choice for response aren't that accurate, usually. (People lie, lie, lie for one, and giving choices prompts the person.) I most certainly would not use data of this sort in my master's thesis, but for the purpose of this paper, it serves to show that I have gathered data from more than just my own thoughts and experiences, and establishes some credibility for me. Plus there are a few other things...but I don't want to put too many of my thoughts down because I don't want to unduly influence anyone's unfilled-out survey. Suffice it to say that all data gathered by the survey will be qualified.

• deneranys
    deneranys

DARN IT! I made paragraphs...where did they go??

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome Deneranys, nice to hear your story and I wish you good sucess with moving on. Click the "Automatic cr/lf box above the submit post button to get paragraphs.

I would be happy to answer your survey and have sent you a pm. I will round up some friends for it as well. Since apparantly over 70% of those raised as JWs leave your results will not be too skewed. I am sure you can get some active JWs if you make it look like legitimate college research. I will see who I can find.

What is good here is that you will get some young ones that have just left and some older ones that have spent many decades in the organisation. There are also some that left recently and some that have been out for many years, so each one will have a slightly different perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit