What happens if someone gets sick at an Assembly?

by MinisterAmos 23 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

You were lucky, Scully. Around here the qualified medically were not qualified "spiritually" and sisters who were RNs had to work under the supervision of the medically unqualified brother. There were EMTs and firefighters but they were considered necessary in other assignments.

I can't believe that you shouldn't call 911. What if someone dropped from a heart attack and they had to check with an attendant or someone doofus in first aid before they called 911?

Blondie (thinking that the WTS might have to pay for the ambulance to come)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I actually did get sick at an assembly once. REALLY sick. They took me to a back room where there was the "nurse" AKA some old lady with a bottle of asprin. A friend ended up taking me home.
    One time there was this girl going into some kind of shock and she needed attention fast. One of the other attendents who had gone to the nurses station came back with the nurse (no lie about 5-8 minutes later because the whole building was overcrowded). While we where waiting she sat down and started feeling better. The entire thing was a joke. Good thing that girl didn't need real help, she would have been in troubble.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"at least one of the brothers this W/E is not an MD, and in fact is a auto mechanic"

Yeah, but wouldn't he have wrenches & saws & stuff? Maybe even a torch for cauterizing wounds?

• alamb
    alamb

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/72863/1165197/post.ashx#1165197

Sick stories of people getting ill and/or dying at the KH's.

• Scully
    Scully
    these brothers also offer to assist the sisters that need a rest or are breast feeding their babies.

Most breastfeeding women don't need or want that kind of help. Trust me. That's just not territory where a Brotherâ„¢ or any other male would be welcome to intrude. I am speaking from personal and professional experience.

::: wonders if they need the services of a lactation consultant at the next local convention so I can score some new publications :::

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Most breastfeeding women don't need or want that kind of help. Trust me. "

Well ... what if the rugrat gets tired? :-P

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

For the Assemblies I attended during my last 8 years I was in charge of First Aid. I had EMT certification as well as being a certified instructor in First Aid/CPR.
    I always had at least an RN on duty at all times.
    My biggest mistake was allowing a 13 year old with abdominal cramps just to lay down with a hot water bottle without further examination. I was trying to be sensitive to her privacy. After 20 minutes and checking on her, I noticed her sweaty and slightly pale. Upon palpatation and further exam I determined it was actually appendicitis. Called 911 and it ended well but scared me shitless that I had almost missed it.
    Beyond that it was non-eventful. Well except when a member of the GB passed out (Barry) while giving a talk and the attendants wouldn't let us onto the stage.
    I've dealt with heat stroke, heat exhaustion, burns, strokes, heart attacks and minor cuts (lots of general malaise and mysterious headaches) at assemblies.
    Unfortuantely first aid services are dependant on the available of trained Witness personnel.
    Sucks to be in a district with no-one.

Uzzah

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

On average two people have died at every convention I've attended (attendance in the tens of thousands). Lots of people there are old and have been holding out to see their brothers one last time, and the excitement gets too much for them. Part of the grieving process is to be happy that they died among the friends. *yawn* In the bigger ones they usually have the ambos on alert full-time for the weekend anyway...

I have family in the first aid unit at these gigs (umm, cleaning supplies and bricklayers in real life), and I'm not surprised that they don't call an ambo at first. Neither would anybody around them as they're all accustomed to looking for direction. Anybody with a clue would be pushed aside by somebody with an attendance badge.

Still it's not all bad news; something to be aware of is that this is policy at most stadiums - staff are usually trained to tell the first aid staff first, who will then deal with the situation (usually involving calling the ambos), but they know how to get the ambo up to them the fastest so they're better off doing it. Not necessarily true of Mr Bad Suit at a DC, but you get the picture.

• DaveNwisconsin
    DaveNwisconsin

Well lets see, Assembly + Sickness = A lot of ASLEEP magazines with vomit all over them. Wait they already have it in them.

• dozy
    dozy

In th UK , the Health & Safety legislation is very strict. At every large assembly , there are 1 or 2 ambulances on-site and all First Aid staff are fully trained. Usually witnesses who work in hospitals are involved in first aid - a sister in my congregation volunteers (she is the senior nurse in a large old folks home).

For the circuit assemblies we have nurses , pharmacists and a GP (general practitioner = family doctor) on the First Aid desk.

I would imagine the suggestion not to call 911 or 999 is valid to prevent numerous brothers dialing on their mobile phones - I've seen this happen at car accidents & it creates tremendous confusion.

A side point - statistically you would expect about 1 person per 10000 per 3 day convention to die - perhaps it does increase slightly for the reasons mentioned. "Died with their boots on" is the traditional expression!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit