No More Bound Volumes or CD ROM's - the most exciting news of all....

by AK - Jeff 25 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I think that the cash flow issue pretty well covers it all.

We might care to debate the thought ( my opinion) that the most remarkable thing about the Society, in recent years, is

its lack ( not emphasis) of reaction.

If you're an old timer, you must be appalled by the utter passivity of the organization - compared with the days of Rutherford

and Knorr. This was an organization that used to comment on any new finding or doctrine or even quiet tendency it found

disturbing. They just don't 'do' much of anything! Even the condemnations of 'apostates' feel like cut and paste repetition.

You might consider a somewhat different explanation of the facts at hand:

They are losing faith at the top. They are just 'going thru the motions' of running a "Theocracy".

They are aware of the declines and are following a "senescent market strategy" , doing just enough to keep some

remaining cash flow coming in.

metatron

• TheListener
    TheListener

Phasing out bound volumes? Possibly.

Ceasing the WT CDrom? No way. The printed material is necessary to prepare for meetings, talks, some return visits and to research the WTS viewpoint on a matter before rendering judgment - whether personal or congregational.

Even if they cease production of the CDrom (which I just don't believe) we here in apostateland would scan each magazine as it's distributed and each new tract, book and brochure to create our own yearly WT CD rom update. And don't think those who are in the organization wouldn't do the same thing. There would be after-market CD roms everywhere - much like the theocratic ministry school schedule that many dubs have.

• Jourles
    Jourles

I will go on record and say that the WTS will not cease making the CDROM's. I would drink my own pee if I'm wrong.

• blondie
    blondie
    Even if they cease production of the CDrom (which I just don't believe) we here in apostateland would scan each magazine as it's distributed and each new tract, book and brochure to create our own yearly WT CD rom update. And don't think those who are in the organization wouldn't do the same thing.

Long before, the official WT=CDs, many JWs online had downloaded the bound volumes and were sharing them with other JWs online. Several elders showed me it mostly to brag. To keep control of that the WTS had to come out with the CDs.

But I don't see an end completely to the bound volumes unless the WTS comes up with a substitute for the dirt poor, technological backward JWs.

Blondie

• TheListener
    TheListener

Blondie,

I agree. The WT could do one of two things. 1, they could request that each publisher keep a copy of the WT/AW for their personal use in the future since bound volumes will no longer be produced in their language. Or 2, they could produce softcover bound volumes just for such countries. This would reduce cost because the production numbers would go way down and they would be soft covered and not hard.

• james_woods
    james_woods

An old-timers view (well at least semi-old-timer): I haven't really looked over their latest publishing. We have been out so long now that it just holds no more curiosity for me. The last ones I personally had around was 1981 and I barbequed the whole lot. However, once in a while I see a mag in some waiting room or other.

What occurred to me king of goes back to the seven006 thread on the competency of their art and printing department. I think someone else mentioned the debacle of trying to go to offset printing and computer typesetting back in the 1970's. They didn't really have the expertise to do it effiiciently.

Two points on this: First, this switchover in printing method c.1970 & the IBM computer thing marked the first time I ever saw the WTS really whine and cry for money. This was IMHO when they really started putting the screws on for increased literature sales, better return from assemblies, estate turnovers, etc. Some may not remember that back then the Society did not customarily make Kingdom Hall loans, even in dire straights. Exceptions were made for special halls like the ones in NYC and Pittsburgh - but not for the little halls where the need was great. Also, the first (gasp) ARTICLES ON GIVING FREELY appear in the WTmag.

Second point: IMHO2, the printing and paper quality took a noticeable DOWNTURN with the offset method. One decent thing I could say about the society printing was that early 60 up until this it was really quite elegant for 2-color rotary. Nice paper, beautifully engraved art, etc. It seemed that this emphasis on quality got lost after that - OK, so its sort of in color, but it is NOT the National Geographic. Could this be the result of saving money to grub back what was spent on the equipment? As commented, the paper looks like USGovernment TP.

So - the no more bound volumes in this context could mean that profit margin is higher with the CD/ROM. Or, maybe they have kind of given up on normal paper and ink except for promotional stuff.

I think its kind of neat that they tell people not to get on the internet, but they give out their stuff on media that pretty much needs a computer to read. Most computers have wires nowadays, don't they? HaHA.

James

• TD
    TD
    But I don't see an end completely to the bound volumes unless the WTS comes up with a substitute for the dirt poor, technological backward JWs.

Good point....

"Sorry I can't give the number ______ talk next week..."

"Why?"

"Because my hard drive gave out and I haven't been able to get the computer fixed yet."

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, the rank and file do not donate direct amounts for the publications any more. It is done confidentially through donations into the contribution boxes. I know some have said there is a donation box on the literature counter, but I have never seen that in this area (20 congregations, been in all of them) and the 40 odd (smile) congregations I have been in the US and Canada.

The idea of a profit margin is not an issue since many JWs are not donating now that they can't be monitored.

Cheaper paper and constant reminders to donate. Most JWs I know don't even ask for donations at the door any more.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    they could request that each publisher keep a copy of the WT/AW for their personal use in the future since bound volumes will no longer be produced in their language.

It seems to me there must have been a time when bound volumes were not produced and sold at the end of the year. I recall seeing some heavy binders that were designed to hold a year's worth of Watchtower magazines. The elderly sister who had them explained that they used to save each issue and put it inside the binder so they'd have a "bound volume" at the end of the year. She implied this was "back before they had bound volumes."

Of course, this could have been some aftermarket thing sold by one of those JW companies that sells book bags and book covers, and she might have been confused.

Does anyone know?

• blondie
    blondie

I used to keep them in those binders...I refused to pay for bound volume...but then they stopped making those binders (back around the end of the 70's).

I recall seeing some heavy binders

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit