Bald is not funny! Or is it???

by simplesally 17 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Today, I took Teryn to a birthday at a jumper 'fun' zone. There were several jumpers, inflated slides, a jumper obstacle course, etc.

Well, I got into the action and got into one of the jumpers and decided to do a flip. As I flipped over, my wig flew off my head. When I landed, of course, I was bald as could be! The little 4 year and 5 year old kids were shocked and silent for several seconds, staring!!!

I got my wig back on, my daughter so sweetly said, "My mommy's bald. It's ok."

Then the little kids started laughing and saying, "She lost her hair, ha ha ha ha."

I could not stop laughing when I got out of the jumper. The other mothers started roaring when I told them and they all had to check with their kids wanting to hear what the kids thought of that funny thing!

• calico
    calico

I suppose having a sense of humor can get you thru the tough times Maybe if you make fun of it yourself, it won't hurt as much!

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

With or without hair... I'm sure you're beautiful on the inside! :)

• simplesally
    simplesally

Calico, I thought losing my hair would be traumatic. And, truthfully, it was very traumatic ....... at first!! Now, it's not ....... I am used to it. Hair is not such a big deal. I have 6 wigs so my workmates and most customers are quite aware I wear wigs....... can't be blonde one day and brunette with long hair the next!

• calico
    calico

I've often wondered what it would be like and how I would react! I have a weird sense of humor--I think it would be funny to paint designs on my head! I would think that most people would understand what you are going thru--kids might not. My neighbor went thru cancer treatments and lost her hair--she used to hang her wigs outside to dry! I always wanted to say something silly about it, but I was afraid I would hurt her feelings.

How are you feeling?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Good for you! I think it's lovely that you can laugh about it!

Josie

• jstalin
    jstalin

That reminds me of a story I once read:

2 Kings

2:23 And [Elisha] went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

You didn't happen to curse the children and summon she-bears to tear them up, did you?

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ J Stalin. Nice one!

SS, we have one of those places, too. "Pump it up party," right? That's a great story. Sometimes getting embarrassed can remind you that you're human.

Nice to see you are enjoying some fun times with your daughter.

• Dansk
    Dansk

SS:

I could not stop laughing when I got out of the jumper.

That's the best thing you could have done!

I met a lady at the hospital the other week who walked into the waiting room with her live-in partner, Nigel. Her name is Alison - Ali for short - and she came in with just a few bristles on her head. Like us, she had been through the chemo and her hair fell out. I told her I thought she was very brave going around without a wig, but Ali said she just didn't care. She has a lovely sense of humour and an infectious laugh and we now communicate via e-mail and hope to meet up. Ali, like me, is also aiming for a stem cell transplant (SCT). She has been battling cancer for over six years and without the SCT her chances of survival are much reduced - yet she still puts a brave face on things.

I'm glad you can still laugh. It really is the best form of medicine.

Love,

Ian

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((((((((Sally)))))))))))))))))

I so respect your attitude through this. I have much to learn from having a better sense of humor. I don't laugh at myself as much as I probably need to. Thank you for showing me the way.

((((((((((((Ian))))))))))))))))))))))) How are you my friend? I am so out of touch with you and your sweet eClaire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit