WHO WAS RIGHT/WRONG: JESUS or PAUL?

by Terry 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I wonder why people don't do more reading about the history behind early Christianity?

There is a lot of information available.

I was stunned when I began reading it. My number one question was: "Why didn't I know this when I was a JW?"

My answer has to be "because I couldn't read anything the Society didn't write".

Ohhh, the headache!

• TheListener
    TheListener

I read everyone's posts (and understood less than a third) and have a question.

If I accept the canonized Bible and I accept that God inspired the words in it to help me live my life then...

Paul clearly feels the law is no longer operative upon followers of Jesus.

But, does the Mosaic Law itself point toward future fulfillment and thus cessation?

I've always assumed the law had a built in "Jesus clause" that pointed to the Messiah as the fulfiller of the law. Perhaps that is just the NT scriptures and not supported by the OT law itself.

• Terry
    Terry
    I've always assumed the law had a built in "Jesus clause" that pointed to the Messiah as the fulfiller of the law. Perhaps that is just the NT scriptures and not supported by the OT law itself.

Paul actually invented "Christianity".

You can't fulfill a law. It is a stupid idea.

The "logic" of the atonement defies imagination.

It wasn't Adam being replaced with Jesus we are dealing with.

It was man not following god's instructions: i.e. "sin".

Men did what was right ___IN THEIR OWN EYES__ and God had to deal with it.

The law offered a certain group of people the purportedly "actual description of behavior" which God was said to require to have a relationship with man without getting so pissed off he killed them.

What Jesus did---even by Paul's standard---was cheating.

Mankind still is in the exact same condition it always was.

All the rest is just words, assertions, interpretations.

Nobody I know has heard word one from the sky verifying any of it.

Hearsay and nothing more.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    If I accept the canonized Bible and I accept that God inspired the words in it to help me live my life then...

Which Canon? The Canon of the Bible

Paul clearly feels the law is no longer operative upon followers of Jesus.

Well actually no. Paul is not as clear as we try to make him. Commentators have spun many different ways of harmonizing seemingly conradictory statements about the Law and his Christ. It is clear that Paul was outside the norm in his belief that God was not forgiving of infractions of Law if repentent. His theology was more like the Mystery cults that required a god/man's death as part of the formula.

But, does the Mosaic Law itself point toward future fulfillment and thus cessation?

No. Matt speaks of fullfilling the law but not with any hint that this meant making obsolete. But rather fullfill meant to do it. The witer rather clearly said that 'not one letter was to pass away'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit