WHO WAS RIGHT/WRONG: JESUS or PAUL?

by Terry 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I think. And I'm very happy about that. And here's what I think about this discussion:

Jesus never meant for his words to be canonized or revered. Paul did not ever indicate he was writing under inspiration of Holy Spirit. The Catholic Church picked and chose (and edited?) that which would support doctrine they already taught and rejected all else. The determination of the Bible canon was not by God's spirit.

Beyond those thoughts, I have many others. And for any who say this leaves the door open for subjective morality I would challenge you to demonstrate where anything else has ever been the case.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slugga
    slugga

I always had doubts about Paul. For me Jesus was all about freeing people from the petty traditions that had grown to surround the Law. Jesus realised the law was for the people, the people weren't for the law.

He tried to release the people from the heavy yokes that the scribes, pharisees and other religious leaders had places around the general publics necks. They had weighed the people down and made Judaism a chore (rather like the "truth") rather than something to rejoice in. By the time Jesus died he had given them the seeds of Christianity, he had set them free from religious oppression.

Then Paul came along.

Paul saw a religious movement that was growing and growing without any real direction. So what did he do, he tried to instill order, he drew up a list of rules and regulations and forced the people to obey them. If they disagreed they were expelled from the congregation and labelled apostates. It was Paul who once again placed these people under a heavy yoke.

Time and time again Jesus rebuked and spoke out against spiritual policemen, people who used religious law, the word of god to oppress people. I honestly think that if Jesus and Paul wouldn't have gotten along had they known one another, Jesus was very laid back whereas Paul was very anal.

Take something like disfellowshipping. Knowing how big Jesus was on forgiveness and on not being judgemental who here can say that Jesus would have been for disfellowshipping anyone?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Take something like disfellowshipping. Knowing how big Jesus was on forgiveness and on not being judgemental who here can say that Jesus would have been for disfellowshipping anyone?

That's Pauls wimpy 'don't carry swords anymore its against Roman law' type Jesus you're talking about slugga. My real Jesus was an underground resistance fighter and woulda removed your goannas if he caught you in bed with the vicars daughter!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Just guessing here, slugga, but I'll bet you haven't read the letters attributed to Paul as letters to people he knew since leaving the bOrg. It gave me a very different perspective.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slugga
    slugga

What read them as if they were written to mates instead of congregations?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I've gone down this thought path also. However, Narkissos observation that Jesus (the Jesus we know and Christians love) came after Paul is a bit of an epiphany for me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Jesus did not intent to abrogate the Mosaic law but to fulfill it. However after the Jews killed him that caused their law to die and things took a different route as the Jews who were the natural branches of the olive tree got ripped off and contrary to nature many gentile branches were grafted onto it.

Paul rightly says that the Jews had to pay a price for crucifying Jesus and the Jerusalem council agreed. The Mosaic law and God's connection to the Jews died. From the year 200 AD at least they were ordered by their rabbis to spit whenever they saw a crucifix or passed outside a place used for Christian gatherings. Some ultra orthodox Jews still do this in modern day israel. They even removed the arithmetic plus sign which is of course a cross (+), from school books.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Auld Soul:

Too bad we can't travel in time and settle this. However, we can still make a case for the probable person Jesus was. Great movements don't take off without a person having a strong belief in what they were doing. Jesus may have been a mad man. But to deny that he intended people to follow him is the least probable scenario. He had a major impact on civilization. That kind of impact in a day without mass media outlets required an extraordinary person. Jesus worked the crowd.

Paul, too, was dynamic. Whatever you may believe it was, he did experience something powerful while he was on the road. I believe it was some kind of input our civilization needed.

I don't believe in God but I do believe that in this multiverse there are advanced intelligent beings that have evolved past our level and serve as preservers and mid-wives of planetary cultures.

• slugga
    slugga

But I like my "wimpy" Jesus.

Any bloke who gets involved in a public stoning and stops it with just a sentence and reproves them all at the same time for being judgemental is fine in my book. My Wimpy Jesus also kicked salesmen out of the temple, no doubt these salesmen would have been giving the priests a backhander to have a pitch there, So my wimpy Jesus had balls and was anti establishment too.

• gumby
    gumby

Everyone knows Russell was the antitypical Jesus and Rutherford was the antitypical Paul.....sheeesh!

Gumtypical

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit