Who's more ignorant--

by MerryMagdalene 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

them for believing this or me for not being able to believe it (and not being able to stop chuckling)?

It should be realized that the Bible does not say that any mountains in Noah's day were as tall as Mount Everest. Scientists have said that in the past many of the mountains were much lower than at present and that some have even been pushed up from under the seas. Furthermore, it is believed that there was a time when the oceans themselves were smaller and the continents were larger than they are now, as testified to by river channels extending far out under the oceans. But regarding the present situation, National Geographic magazine, in its issue of January 1945, reported: "There is ten times as much water by volume in the ocean as there is land above sea level. Dump all this land evenly into the sea, and water would cover the entire earth, one and one-half miles deep." So, after the floodwaters fell, but before the raising of mountains and the lowering of seabeds caused water to drain off the land and before the buildup of polar icecaps, there was ample water to cover "all the tall mountains," as the Bible states. --Survival Into a New Earth (1984) p.47-48

~Merry

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Dump all this land evenly into the sea, and water would cover the entire earth, one and one-half miles deep.

You might be crazy merry, but not for not believing this.

1.5 miles is a pretty puny mountain even if mountains suffered from dwarfism in the past.

• skyman
    skyman

Clearly they must be smoking something. By the way who are they or the them you are talking about?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Scientists have said that in the past many of the mountains were much lower than at present

Really? You mean the mountains haven't always been just like they are now? Golly, there's a shocker. Good thing we have these scientist-types around to set us straight. That is, as long as they don't go spouting their crap about "radio carbon dating" and ice cores and all that flood-disproving stuff. That's all wrong. But this stuff? Spot on.

Intellectual dishonesty -- is there anything it *can't* do?

Dave

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Skyman-- "they" would be whoever wrote Survival Into a New Earth for the Watchtower, and whoever read and believed it

IP_SEC-- I admit, I am a wee bit crazy at times, and somewhat ignorant as well. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a factor in my reaction to that quote. Thank you for your balanced assessment

~Merry

• thankyou12
  • thankyou12
  • Quotes
    Quotes

Another case of WTS glossing over the facts when quoting others.

Yes, the Plate Tectonic Theory says that the mountains are, essentially, huge wrinkles created near the seams when plates press up against one another.

However, this process generally takes, according to the theory, millions of years.

WTS is cleverly implying that these tall mountains popped up within the last 5000 years (i.e. since the alleged Noachian flood).

~Q

P.S. interesting how they seem to embrace part of Plate Tectonic Theory, and yet feel that Evolutionary Theory is unacceptable because it it just a theory. Hypocritical Double Standard.

• Clam
    Clam

Mountains must have been smaller in those days. Jehooba hated anything too close to heaven, hence all the shit over the Tower of Babel.

Those people in Nepal probably started out like Plains Indians and hey presto after 5000 years were "on top of thr world ".

• Woodsman
    Woodsman
    Scientists have said

Are these the same scientists who the WTS says cannot be trusted when their findings contradict the WTS?

Classic Cherry Picking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit