JW's & theU.N.

by JUG 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JUG
    JUG

Look before I get started I just want to say I'm new so hello everybody. I've been disfellowshiped for two years and some times still contemplate going back. I still make pretty much all of my meetings but I just havent wrote a letter yet because I realy dont miss the drama that goes along with being a witness.Anyway I found this web site that said something about the JW's getting involved with the UN and it made me curious. I was wondering If any body knows the whole story and could tell me more about it.

Also can sombody tell me about these group meetings or what ever they are. If its just abunch of exJW's crying on eachothers shoulders and sitting around bitching about the WBTScocieties inconsistencies thats pathetic and I don't want anything to do with it, but if its a group of freinds getting together for some fun I'm enterested.

Jesus I hope I spelled all of that rite!!!!!!!!!

• Dune
    Dune

Welcome.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/10732/1.ashx

Thats a thread about the UN/NGO thing.

And if you go to the get togethers forum you should see the apostafests around your area.

• JUG
    JUG

Apastafest thats pretty funny!!!

Know anymore about the UN thing?

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi Jug, welcome to the board.

Dune put a link in his post for a discussion on the UN scandal. Just click on it.

Cellist

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Jug...welcome! About the U.N. it has been re-hashed and hashed to death on this and other forums. As it came out in 2001...you're getting the info a little late. Back then you could go to the U.N. website and find all the info...it has since been removed. However, if you go to www.freeminds.org, there is a lot of info there. Randy Watters, who runs the site, posts here as Dogpatch. Hope that helps some.

As far as the meet-ups go, well it's like any other get-togethers...you will like some, but probably not all the people. That's life!!!

Enjoy yourself on the forum,

Swalker

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The UN statement has been moved to http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/ngo-docs.html

• Forscher
    Forscher

Simply put, the WTBTS joined the UN as a nongovernmental organization, or NGO. That was back in 1991. For ten years the WTBTS participated in many UN conferences and otherwise used its status to get certain things done. They also published UN propaganda in the Awake magazine which millions of JWs distributed throughout the world. In 2001, a newspaper in Brittain found out about the membership and prepared an expose. When the WTBTS found out about it, they hurridley resigned their membership and went into spin control mode.
    The excuse they give for the membership is that it was required in order to gain access to the UN library. Look up the links the others provided and judge for yourself.
    Forscher

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome JUG! Looking forward to hearing from you in the future. By the way, I attended an ex JW Meetup two years ago. It was a disaster. It turned out to be Ex JW's who had converted to Born Again Christians who were attempting to convert the rest of us Ex JW's to the Born Agains. On the other hand, I have heard through this forum that there are good Ex JW Meetings. I guess it depends on where you are.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://www.randytv.com/secret/emailNGO.htm

Subject: Access to the Dag Hammarskjold Library in 1991

To: (undisclosed)

Mr. P___,

In 1991, access to the Dag Hammarskjold Library was given for short

Periods of time to individuals who needed to consult unique materials which

Were available only in our Library and not elsewhere. The procedure for a

library pass was the following: the interested party needed to fill out

an application form and supply a letter of recommendation in support of

the research. If the required material was not available in a UN

depository library (the list of depository libraries is posted at:

http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/deplib/countries/ ), the application was

approved and sent to UN Security and Safety Service for further review.

If this Service approved the application, instructions were then given to

the Pass Office to issue a library pass (bearing a photograph of the

applicant) of fixed duration.

The issuance of a library pass is independent of NGO status or any

Other status. There has been no change in the library pass policy in general;

however, as a result of the tragic events of September 11th, the

issuance of library passes has been suspended indefinitely.

I hope this information is useful and answers some of your questions.

Sincerely,

Maureen Andersen

Chief, User Services Section

Dag Hammarskjold Library

Same information here from Dana.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Welcome Jug

Another issue re the WTS and the UN is here

"Mission to Africa" Revisited

and you will find tons of discussions here The Best of... WTS and the UN

Also can sombody tell me about these group meetings or what ever they are. If its just abunch of exJW's crying on eachothers shoulders and sitting around bitching about the WBTScocieties inconsistencies thats pathetic and I don't want anything to do with it, but if its a group of freinds getting together for some fun I'm enterested

if you are referring to the "apostofests" I suspect it is far more about friendship than running down the WTS.

Many of us have family who are still JWs. We almost unanimously agree that JWs are for the most part honest sincere people who are doing their best to live good lives.

But what you will find here is that people have been hurt, some tragically hurt, by life in the WTS. Their complaints are legitimate.

And as you will see as you read about the UN issue, we do a lot of work to make sure we have facts, (like getting the copy of the UN letter from their website) as proof that the WTS did have membership as a non-governmental organization (NGO) of the UN. The first link I posted "Mission to Africa" Revisited shows a bit more of the benefits the WTS had in their membership as an NGO with the UN other than their statement that it was for a library card.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit