WHAT DO YOU THINK OF CHILD BEAUTY PAGENTS?

by Mary 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I was watching Dr. Phil yesterday and they had these women on there who have their daughters entered in beauty pagent contests looking like miniture hookers. I was stunned when I saw pictures of the one 8 year old girl: more make-up than Tammy Faye Baker, hair pieces, false teeth, fake tan and totally slutty outfits. She looked like a plastic Barbie. It really made me sick to see this. It's a pedophiles' dream child if you ask me.

Of course, you've got the mothers up there defending their actions and insisting that it's "just for fun". They claim that it "builds self-confidence" in the child. Ya, riiiiiight. More like it's the mothers living through their daughters.

To me, these 'beauty pagents' for children should probably be banned. I find it very disturbing that anyone would dress their children like hookers and teach them to "strut" down the runway in a very sexually promiscuous manner. What kind of message is that sending?

Anyone else think these things should be banned?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I think they are disturbing. I think those moms have a sickness.....an addiction. They could support a daily coke habbit with the money they spend on pagents.

• slugga
    slugga

Yeah they are kinda tacky, here in the UK these kind of things are held up for us alll to laugh at how tacky and tasteles Americans are.

These mothers are basically playing "dress up dollies" with their little girls, they need to grow up!

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

There was documentary about this on HBO called Living Dolls. The mother put all of her time and energy into the pageant kid and practically neglected the other two children.

There was one disturbing scene where she was curling the little girls hair and the girl started crying and saying that she didn't want to compete. I felt so sorry for that poor child. She should have out playing not stuck in a hotel room having her hair and makeup done.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i hate all beauty pageants.

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    These mothers are basically playing "dress up dollies" with their little girls, they need to grow up!

These mothers are miserable monsters who are hurting and exploiting children. The children should be removed from the home before permanent damage is done.

willow

• Scully
    Scully

I think there are much better ways to develop a child's self esteem than teaching them that their looks and the way they dress is of paramount importance. How do these kids manage to survive academically if they are always competing in a beauty pageant and having to try new hair styles and make up and clothes and practice their catwalking skills?

I think it also sends a very poor message to girls that their worth is tied up in their appearance. What happens if they get into an accident and are disfigured or maimed? What other skills are they going to have to survive on?

Playing dress up is one thing. But turning it into a competitive sport is another. Those moms need to get a life.

• Mary
    Mary

Just to give you an idea of what these kids look like, here's the daughter all dressed up. An eight year old kid!!!!

alt

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

just creepy

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Jesus God - that is just not right. Who would want to do that to their kid? It would be interesting to see how some of these girls turn out at teens and young adults - what effects this message sends. Wouldn't I be surprised if it did in fact "build confidence"

Creepy is right

Are they sponsored by pedofiles?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit