When did you realize evolution was true?

by Coded Logic 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

1.) How old were you?

2.) Which person/source first made you reconsider your position on creationism?

3.) How long a period of time did it take to fully convince you?

4.) What books and videos did you read and watch?

5.) How much better do you think you understand biology is now vs. before?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's hard to say, I must've been 7 or 8.

But the basic idea of evolution is not inherently contradictory to a belief in a creator.

The origin of species and the origin of life are different questions.

This used to cause me a great deal of frustration with countless JWs that didn't understand this relatively elementary fact. So many JWs would say, "We don't believe in evolution, you know!"

I'd respond, "Really? You don't think anything ever change? Ever?"

The usual response would be some version of the classic deer-in-the-headlights look.

I was equally frustrated with the WTBTS's books and talks that attempted to reduce the issue to "Creation vs. Evolution" because that also incorrectly framed the issue.

Many times I incorrectly credited the GB with merely stating it the way most people understood it, believing they were smart enough to realize that was incorrect. I now know better. The likes of Stephen Lett, Anthony Morris, Gerrit Lösch and Samuel Herd clearly lack the education and intellect to appreciate the subtle nuances of the issue. Frankly, they're just not that smart.

That being said, it has become abundantly clear to me that, if there is any kind of creative force or intelligence in the universe, it has absolutely NO resemblance to the petty, narcissistic, capricious and genocidal god of the Old Testament.

That god is a psychopath. And all of his followers are delusional, especially the ones that claim(ed) to "speak for him."

The name Jesus comes to mind.

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

1. It wasn't until I was 27 or so that I could even entertain the thought. I watched a documentary from the library and was so frustrated because all it talked about was the number of people who accept evolution. It bothered me that they were already following the line of reasoning that is was true. I needed something more basic.

2. Less than a year later I discovered this YouTube series by PotHolder54 while looking for criticism of Noah's Flood:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w57_P9DZJ4&list=PLD27A2EB88A16EEA0&index=7

3. Within a few weeks after more questions were answered I was convinced evolution was real. I was also convinced JW's for the most part accept evolution but refuse to call it what it is.

4. I listened to Richard Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth and watched ARon Ra's series Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism. I also watched on YouTube the Richard Dawkins Christmas Lectures and Thunderf00ts series Why do people laugh at Creationists.

5. I understand biology so much better than before. I find biology so much more fascinating now and its a bit more spiritually enlightening to know every creature on earth is related. My mind also opened up to the possibilities of life and unknown creatures and the future of life in technology.

*P.S. I have to add I originally wanted to give another look into evolution after I understood why a peacock would have such extraordinary feathers that do not help in its survival in any way. The answer was sexual selection. Bright colorful feathers were fitness indicators which usually means healthy procreation.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    With the mapping of the DNA I don't know how the WT can explain that we humans share over 95% DNA of a Chimpanzee.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Didn`t a watchtower publication once state that the blood of a mouse was more closer to a human than the blood of a chimpanzee ? as their objection to evolution ?

smiddy

• enigma1863
    enigma1863
    William, they usually would say to me that's obvious. Manufacturers use similar parts so god made similar animals with the same parts. Then I usually comment about how shark DNA and dolphin/whale DNA is quite different even though they look a lot the same. And that Whales are more closely related to Hippos then Hippos are to Pigs.
  • SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    My stepson is addicted to science shows. I told him that cartoons make you stupid but documentaries make you smart when he was about four, and I guess he took me a little too seriously. He shuts down when family bible interrogation starts.
  • HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Well this was simple. I read a book that portrayed 19th century schoolership on the bible (wrong mostly) but still showing the two genesis accounts as babylonian legends the proof was strong so I decided I would debunk it by finding absolute proof evolution was wrong!!!!

That nigt I found an ERV video and my faith was dead... gone poof... Chromosome #2 came up next and that was it.

Now I hate the GB since they know this. They are just moneymakers.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Never.
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    When I made the effort to understand the theory. Sadly that wasn't until I had left the JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit