listing of authorities and their date for the fall of Jerusalem

by M.J. 128 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Thanks MJ

• scholar
    scholar

M.J

Thanks for the list of dates as it demonstrates what I have been saying on this board for many years, that using secular chronology cannot give a precise date for the Fall. The chart or list proves that the lack of agreement and that the methodology is hopeless.

This list of dates with its broad and narrow range compares with the certainty and precision of the date 607 BCE for the Fall as determined by celebrated WT scholars over many centuries of careful biblical research and the Holy Spirit. Such confusion of dates shows hoe both old and modern scholarship with higher critics and apostates have have all together stumbled over the seventy years of exile, servitude, desolation running from the Fall until the Return.

scholar JW

• M.J.
    M.J.
    M.J., Great Research, glad you posted your results.

Oh, no. I can't take credit for this one. The author is named DAVID ASPINALL. I simply found it on the net.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Oh, no. I can't take credit for this one. The author is named DAVID ASPINALL. I simply found it on the net.

I remember David. He used to live 2 blocks away from me but moved shortly before I joined the JWs. He and his wife caused quite a stir when they became "apostates", and I remember them picketing at conventions. It was a long time ago, but JWs in Toronto still talk about him. I wonder if he posts here at all?

W

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Scholar you ought to put your little thesis here on some of the historians and archaeologists web sites.I am sure they will be impressed. Especially by the Holy Spirit and the CELEBRATED?? wt scholars.

By the way do these celebrated wt scholars have names??

Outoftheorg

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Thanks for the list of dates as it demonstrates what I have been saying on this board for many years, that using secular chronology cannot give a precise date for the Fall. The chart or list proves that the lack of agreement and that the methodology is hopeless.

This list of dates with its broad and narrow range compares with the certainty and precision of the date 607 BCE for the Fall as determined by celebrated WT scholars over many centuries of careful biblical research and the Holy Spirit. Such confusion of dates shows hoe both old and modern scholarship with higher critics and apostates have have all together stumbled over the seventy years of exile, servitude, desolation running from the Fall until the Return.

'scholar's' logic is so very badly flawed! 'scholar' tries to suggest that many sources must all be wrong, and that the Society is singularly correct. This is despite the fact that there is agreement pretty much all other sources that the event occurred at around the same period - within a year of 587 - and many of them agree with each other. In contrast, there is the Watchtower Society, one source, with whom no-one else at all agrees. The supposed 'precision' of the Society's date only exists because no-one at all agrees that it is even close to the correct date. So it is not at all surprising that there are not other suggested dates in the vicinity. Furthermore, the Society gives no actual valid basis for the claim that their 70 years ended in 537, and it is much more likely that the Jews returned in 538.

• carla
    carla

as determined by celebrated WT scholars over many centuries

scholar JW

WT scholars and many centuries?! What are you talking about? just when did they pull out the 607 date?

• dozy
    dozy

I've read several times about how virtually all historians are agreed that 586/587 is the date for the fall of Jerusalem.

Is it possible for a large body of experts and an overwhelming prevailing view to be wrong? Yes - I was at college in London in 1981 when 364 economists wrote the letter referred to below. Every single economist was wrong.

"To restart the economy, Thatcher instituted a fierce attack on the British deficit, coupled with an expansionary monetary policy. Her moves were immediately condemned by 364 distinguished economists. In a letter to the Times of London, they wrote: "Present policies will deepen the depression, erode the industrial base of our economy and threaten its social and political stability." Thatcher was quickly vindicated. No sooner had the 364 affixed their signatures than the economy boomed. People had confidence in Britain again. "

• carla
    carla

dozy,

Some people here really have a thing about citing authors, books, magazines and books, etc... The lack of doing so makes some suspect to the information given. Maybe because the wt so often does not cite authors and many, many times when they have, they have been found out to have completely twisted what the author has really said. Or even outright lied. Please cite your sources so others can check the validity of what you say.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

that using secular chronology cannot give a precise date for the Fall. The chart or list proves that the lack of agreement and that the methodology is hopeless.

Scholar - of course celebrated WT scholars have only had two dates for the fall of Jerusalem 607 and 606 BCE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit