listing of authorities and their date for the fall of Jerusalem

by M.J. 128 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    I didnt realize you were sick Marjorie. May I ask what you are recuperating from? I hope things are going well for you.

Tor ---

Thanks for asking. I'm still recovering from a car accident that took place almost 16 months ago, in November 2004. I'm definitely making progress, but I still have to watch the typing as it tends to aggravate my neck and arms. I am months behind on my emails and forum messages. On the plus side, I have become very good friends with two wonderful women who have helped in my recovery -- an accupuncturist and an occupational therapist/massage therapist. They've become real friends.

This thread caught my eye, so I skimmed through it the other day. I see that not much has changed.

Regards,
    Marjorie

• toreador
    toreador

I am very happy to hear that the acupunturist therapy is going well. Some seem to get real benefits from it. I tried it a few years ago for a completely different reason and it did not help me at all. I imagine you get headaches quite frequently as well as most do from the whiplash effect.

Yes, Scholar is like a broken record but sometimes still mildly entertaining.

Have a great day,

Tor

• a Christian
    a Christian

I thought I'd bring this back to the top to give "Scholar" another chance to answer my questions.

Mike

• toreador
    toreador

I was thinking along those lines too Mike. He has been awfully quiet these past few days. You raised some very good questions and observations. It would be somewhat interesting to hear what he has to say.

Tor

• startingover
    startingover

BTTT

I'm waiting too

• a Christian
    a Christian

Startingover,

You wrote: I'm waiting too.

I think we will be waiting a very long time.

How long has Alan F has been waiting for scholar to respond to his post which proved that the Jews' returned home from Babylon in 538 BC, a year earlier than the Watch Tower Society says they did?

The fact of the matter is, the questions I asked "Scholar" can not be honestly answered by any JW. To answer these questions honestly a JW would have to admit that the only reason the Watch Tower Society accepts the date 539 BC for the accession year of Cyrus ( as established indirectly by Strm Kambys 400 ) and rejects the year 587/6 BC for the year of Babylon's destruction of Jerusalem ( as established in a much more direct way by VAT 4956 ) is that doing so allows them to hold on to their Daniel 4 interpretation.

As we know, this interpretation says that 2,520 years passed between the year of Jerusalem's destruction ( "607 BCE" according to the Watch Tower Society ) and the year of Christ's invisible return ( "1914" according to the Society ). Of course the Society needs this interpretation so they can continue to maintain that shortly after Christ invisibly returned he appointed them over all his belongings.

The only reason the Society tells us that the astronomical dating for "the 7th year of Cambyses" found in Strm Kambys 400 is trustworthy and implies that the astronomical dating for "the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar" found in VAT 4956 is not trustworthy is because to do otherwise would demolish their Daniel 4 interpretation and with it their only claim to spiritual authority over the lives of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The fact that the Watch Tower Society has chosen to accept as accurate the astronomical dating contained in Strm Kambys 400 and has chosen to not accept as accurate the astronomical dating contained in VAT 4956 has nothing to do with one document being considered by historians to be more reliable than the other. For both are considered to be equally trustworthy. And, since we are able to date Jerusalem's destruction in a much simpler and more direct way using VAT 4956 than we are able to do by using Strm Kambys 400, it makes much more sense for us to do so by using VAT 4956 than by using Strm Kambys 400.

These things being so, and I suspect "Scholar" knows that they are so, I didn't really expect Scholar to answer my questions. I was only trying to get him to face the fact, and make any "lurkers" here aware of the fact, that the Society has been far less than honest when dealing with this subject matter.

Mike

• startingover
    startingover

Guess we're in for a long wait on this one.

And I was really looking forward to a response.

• a Christian
    a Christian

Maybe Scholar has no time to answer my questions. He may be too busy trying to win 250,000 Pounds Sterling in the "607 Challenge" by being the first to prove Jerusalem fell in the year 607 BCE. http://607challenge.org/ http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/109243/1.ashx The real point of this Web site, of course, is to get JWs to look closely at all the biblical and archeological evidence for the time of Jerusalem's destruction by Babylon. When they do this they will see that the Watchtower Society is wrong about this matter. Mike

• startingover
    startingover

Well, I guess Scholar has left the room.

I have watched threads on 607 that he posts on for some time, and I have always been tempted to ask if anyone on this board agrees with him, or is swayed by his argument. Unless I missed something, I haven't seen one as of yet. Of course with the JW mentality, that proves all the more to him that he is right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit