Marriage or Living together

by pratt1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

How many of you lived with your spouse before you got married and how do you think it effected the outcome of your marriage?

For those not married would you live with someone before you agreed to marry them?

• daystar
    daystar
    How many of you lived with your spouse before you got married and how do you think it effected the outcome of your marriage?

Not in any negative way.

For those not married would you live with someone before you agreed to marry them?

Sure. It depends upon the situation, but I think a person absolutely needs to see how the other half lives before being able to decide if they can live the rest of their lives with them.

• ferret
    ferret

I lived with my wife for six years before marriage. We have now been married for 20 years. I cant really say it has made any difference than if we were married from the start of the relationship.

• Chimene
    Chimene

I'm living with someone. My ex husband, the JW, would not live with me before we got married. After he said I do, he turned into a completely different person. I will never make that mistake again. I would definitely live with the person first.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you need to live under the same roof with someone before you marry them? I think you don't have to because it's possible to get to know them through a lot of social intimacy, the only thing you can't check out is the sexual compatibility.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Personally I recommend living together for a few years then if you still like each other and find you still love each other then marry. My husband and I lived together for 1 1/2 years then married, and we couldn't be happier. But we're older couple. He and I were childhood sweetheart back in Middle school and found each other after 30 years.

My son age 23 and his girlfriend live together she's 18 and my baby grandson and I think they are doing fine the way they are. She is very high maintence and their relationship runs hot and cold. Why get married if they are only going to turn around and split up?

The fact is that 50% of the marriages today end in divorce. Marriage does provide some financial security and is good when it come to insurance coverage and buying homes. But only the couple know if they will continue to stay together.

I watched my parents who were married 60 years, at the end of it they could barely stand each other, so what was the point of being married so long?

Balsam

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I lived with my husband for almost a year before we married. We were acting like a married couple almost from the getgo so we thought it would be a good idea to make it official. That was over 13 years ago.

Josie

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I advise living with someone for a while before getting married. I also advise being familiar with any laws that govern families and relationships, and getting a legal agreement signed before cohabiting with anyone. Get a pre-nuptial agreement before getting married. Protect your assets, both current and future. Trashed relationships can be very heartbreaking. Why become financially ruined on top of it?

W

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm with Finally Free.

• slugga
    slugga

We've lived together for 8 years.

I can't get married. I couldn't do it in a church because it just wouldn't feel right and a registry office ceremony would just feel to empty and meaningless for me. So I'm quite happy as I am.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit