Do you miss the sense of Superiority?

by Dune 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

Well i'm slowly wrapping up my stay in JW land, but as I move further and further into the year, i've noticed that my views of the world are slowly changing.

No more am I just a watcher who feels completely aloof of the world's struggles and injustices. I dont look at activists, philantropers and humanitarians and silently laugh to myself because I KNOW that whatever they are doing is a waste of time (because the end is so close).

I was listening to that song by the Flaming Lips called "Do you Realize?" and i couldnt stop thinking about that verse where he says "Everyone.. you know... someday...will die."

For some reason, I've always felt that i was in a sort of higher level of consciousness , it bewildered me and other witnesses i've grown up with as to why other people couldnt see that the world was definently coming to an end.

I think one of the unique things about being a JW is the sense of security, that you are beyond the mediocrities of life and that you are detached from the world's troubles.

What do you guys think?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't miss it. I hated it. I could not see why I deserved to be so superior to everyone else.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I never had that sense but I sure don't missing having to see it in the jws that I knew/know

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Nope, I've replaced it with the aposta superiority

Just kiddin, I dont miss it.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    I think one of the unique things about being a JW is the sense of security,

It's a false sense of security though.

Personally, I feel much better now that I am in touch with the world. I was always disturbed by the fact that witnesses didn't do anything to help the poor and the sick. Realizing that I can make a difference in someones life, even if it's just giving my time, is better than any self-righteousness I felt as a JW.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't miss the false sense of superiority that I had as a JW. I also get involved in causes I used to scoff at, and I finally feel like I'm contributing something worthwhile to society rather than being the parasite I once was.

W

• Spectre
    Spectre

I don't miss it at all.

• Emma
    Emma

I don't miss it. I'm glad to realize that I don't have all the answers. That's part of what let me leave.

Emma

• james_woods
    james_woods

The "superior" mantra never worked for me. I was ashamed to be a witness and of the weird beliefs. I was pretty sure several years ahead that nothing was going to happen in 1975. Even as an elder, I tried to not let any of my outside friends know I was JW. I have never admitted this to anyone before but I was probably going to join the military to avoid prison except that the draft just barely missed me. I was glad to get out of it all - but I still had to go through the process of proving to myself beyond all doubt that it was BS.

Now, I still don't feel superior to the remaining captives either.

Just lucky.

James

• greendawn
    greendawn

I never had it because I could see that the JWs were not any better than the rest of the world I could see they were hypocrites. So I never felt elitist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit