Awake = College Education, % of brain usage, where are these?

by drew sagan 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Does anybody know where this is? I've heard that this is somewhere in the magazines, but i have no clue where. ALSO, does anybody know where (or even if) the Watchtower ever fed off the idea that we only use a fraction of our brains, an idea that has proven to be false? I heard so many people talk about this in discussion, but have been unable to locate it in a publication. Thanks

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

*** w83 6/15 p. 31 An Excellent Education ***

Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake!

*** g94 11/8 p. 32 "What a Plethora of Knowledge!" ***

Many times people honestly mistake me for a college graduate, and when I confess that I have never darkened the doors of a college, they are surprised. But I say: ‘No, I am only an avid reader of the Watchtower and Awake! journals.’"

*** g74 12/8 p. 16 Our Amazing Mind ***

The human brain, on the average, weighs about three pounds. Brain sizes vary, but the old theory that brain size determines intelligence is a fallacy. Another false idea is that man uses only a small percentage of his brain. There is apparently no part of the brain that is never used. However, this does not mean that anyone’s brain capacity is ever fully used.

w50 11/1 p. 423 Evolution Contrary to Scientific Fact ***

Science says man uses but a small percentage of his marvelous brain. Evolution would not evolve something that was never used, but perfect man was created with his wonderful brain and used it in the beginning, though degenerate man does not now use it fully.

g88 1/22 p. 28 From Our Readers ***

College

Education

I disagreed with the article "College Education—A Preparation for What?" (January 8, 1987) and also the letter in the August 22, 1987, issue. I personally know young people who have attended college, and they have stimulating jobs as well as strong Christian marriages. Life is not just learning practical things. As we walk in the woods, look at the stars, learn to play tennis, or read a book about art, we are not doing anything practical, but these things can enrich our lives tremendously.

A. J. M., United States

Your article on college education annoyed me. I agree with the reader who said it was unfair and biased, and I also agree with your reply. (November 8, 1987) College has its good points and its bad points. Whether a person succeeds in college or in a religious organization depends on how well he individually applies what he has learned.

T. M., United States

We

agree that there are many benefits to be gained from increased knowledge that institutions of higher learning can dispense. At the same time, we do not ignore the benefits society has received from men such as Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, who had little or no formal education. We do not condemn the so-called higher education as such and reaffirm what we have stated before, that going to college is an individual matter. At the same time, we feel compelled to point out the hazards of the college environment.

First,

although there may be exceptions, the thrust of college education is generally against faith in God and in favor of humanist philosophies.

Second,

college education usually puts the emphasis on getting ahead in the world and attaining material success, contrary to the advice of Jesus and the apostle John.—Matthew 6:19-21, 25-34; 1 John 2:15, 16.

Third,

the usual college environment fosters a spirit of independence and permissiveness, resulting in sexual immorality and drug misuse that may be difficult for many young people to resist. We encourage young people to continue acquiring knowledge, especially that found in the Bible because it leads to gaining everlasting life. (John 17:3) We also encourage them to cultivate the skills necessary to lead a useful, productive life with the emphasis on Jesus’ words at Matthew 6:33, to keep seeking first God’s Kingdom and his righteousness.

And

fourth, the time is short. (Luke 21:34-36; Ephesians 5:15, 16) It can be spent most profitably in serving our Creator.—ED.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"It has been said that by reading the Watchtower and Awake magazines, along with other publications of Jehovah's Witnesses, a person will receive, over a period of years, a considerable and broad education." - Watchtower 06/15/83 p31

It then launches into the remarkable experience of a person who passed a high school equivalency exam after only a grade 9 education.

"Helpful as guides to daily living. That is what a woman from Toronto, Canada, called the publications of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. She added: 'I am a university graduate, and I must shockingly admit that I have learned much more through your publications than through all my years of study.'" - Watchtower 06/15/88 p32

She's not the only one who's shocked by that admission.

The same article was repeated, almost word for word, in the Watchtower of 02/15/91, p32. Even the picture was the same. So, now we know the memory capacity of a witness - 2 years, 8 months.

I'm pretty sure the fraction of the brain argument is used in the Creation book, but I don't have it handy.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

thanks alot guys

• Think
    Think

Yep ! The time is short. No need for learning anything, except how to peddle magazines. This is the BEST USE OF ANYBODY LIFE. Become UtopiaTower clone/drone member.

NO Brain Needed AT ALL !

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My cousin said the other day that since we only use 10% of our brain it shows it was designed to live forever. !!?? Under that idea, if we can fill up 10% in 100 years, we will fill up the next 90% in a thousand years, so what happens for the rest of infinity. You can't relate a finite capacity to proof of infinity. I don't think JWs have the capability to think past the 1000 year rulership.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    *** w83 6/15 p. 31 An Excellent Education ***

Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake!

g94 11/8 p. 32 "What a Plethora of Knowledge!" ***

Many times people honestly mistake me for a college graduate, and when I confess that I have never darkened the doors of a college, they are surprised. But I say: ‘No, I am only an avid reader of the Watchtower and Awake! journals.’"

Ugh, and people actually believe this stuff??

-Becka (of the "proud and intelligent university student" class) :)

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Ahh, you found the motto for University of Awake. Actually, they are technically NOT a university, since the only degree they offer is a BS. (universities offer PhDs too).

The fallicy about the brain usage is as follows: If you look at an MRI (or whatever measurement of brain activity you want), you notice that only a small percentage (less than 1% or so) of the neurons fire AT ANY GIVEN TIME for any task you perform. Thus, people conclude you use ONLY that % of your brain. What they don't tell you is that vrtually EVERY neuron gets fired over a long enough time period, thus indicating the whole brain is used.

For a more empricial repudiation of this fallicy, take a class in Psychiology of the Brain. Basically, you study examples of people who have had head injuries that damage a part of the brain, and see what functionality they lose.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

by the way -- I took that class at much less august institution than University of Awake. It was merely Ivy League. :-(

• Kudra
    Kudra

they don't offer "a" BS

They just offer BS

Kudra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit