About Peter Russell, from Wikipedia:
Peter Russell (born May 7, 1946) is a British author of books on consciousness, spiritual awakening and their role in the future development of humanity. He has degrees in physics, psychology, and computer science from the University of Cambridge (UK) and has studied eastern and western philosophies of the mind.
In The Global Brain Awakens (2000), an update of The Global Brain (1983), Russell's most popular book, he opens with part one on the Gaia Hypothesis. In part two, he discusses orders of evolution going from the evolution of the early universe during the Big Bang, through biological evolution, and finishing with "the emerging social superorganism." In part three, he discusses "inner evolution" and the "high-synergy society". In some ways, this book echoes the optimistic dot-com zeitgeist.
In From Science to God, Russell evokes Thomas Kuhn's paradigm shift to argue that science is on the threshold of a new metaparadigm. Russell disputes scientific materialism and says science will come to "embrace spirit and -- dare we say it -- God". 1 He likens current efforts to explain consciousness in terms of neuropsychology to the convoluted epicycles before the Copernican revolution in astronomy. Russell's views are in sharp contrast to materialists like Daniel Dennett, author of Consciousness Explained. Depending on one's point of view, Russell's perspective could be argued as either protoscientific or pseudoscientific.
Books by Peter Russell
- The TM Technique (1976) -- on Transcendental Meditation.
- The Upanishads (illustrated 1978), (2003), with Alistair Shearer. Translation and commentary on the Upanishads.
- The Brain Book (1979)
- The Creative Manager (1992)
- Waking Up in Time: Finding Inner Peace in Times of Accelerating Change (1992). Updated edition of The White Hole in Time (1992).
- The Global Brain Awakens: Our Next Evolutionary Leap, (1995). Updated version of The Global Brain (1983) which was published as The Awakening Earth (1982) in the UK.
- The Consciousness Revolution (1999), with Stanislav Grof and Ervin Laszlo.
- From Science to God: A Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness, (2002).