Possible baptism loop-hole

by vomit 23 Replies latest jw friends

• vomit
    vomit

I am a fader... Actually I probably would be considered fully apostate for my views. But I will do almost anything to avoid shunning. Well thinking over my life, I got baptised at 15 or 16. So I think it rules out getting an annulment.

Well I was in the catholic church until the age of 10, I was baptized a catholic(infant baptism) but I also had my communion. I guess solidifying the fact I was a catholic. My parents joined the JWs, I guess they renounced their religion. But I don’t think I did.

So would that make my baptism void? If the elders argue that it was an infant baptism and wasn’t of age to decide. What about my communion when I was 8. JWs baptize at 8. So I was not too young to decide I wanted my communion at the age of 8. The elders at my hall actually all have protestant backgrounds, so they would have to do a hell of a lot of research.

What do you think?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Sometimes they will allow people to rebaptized if they feel their first baptism wasn't fully understood. This is only in rare cases though.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think that someone here about 3 months ago or so escaped judicial expulsion on the grounds that he was underage and thereby not legally responsible to make any contractual agreement (ie: joining the JWs).

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the poster...

-Aude.

• vomit
    vomit

Thanks for the quick replies.
    I probably cant get it annuled because I was 16. It would be a hard fight.
    I stopped going to the hall almost compleatly at the age of 19.
    So I am really hoping for a loophole.

• mustang
    mustang

When I looked up the Baptismal Vows of 30+ churches on the web, I found that the Catholic Infant Baptism has the follow-on situation of the CONFIRMATION. The TWO of those actions essentially do the same thing as the JW feature of "Family Merit" doctrine and an early "underage" Baptism.

You had best look into that, as the JW's of Brooklyn are so into the legalistic schemes of things. You might have enough to disqualify the Baptism, and perhaps an "Annulment" (a dicey venture, at best) would be considered with merit, in such a case. Indeed, I remember that we were counseled to get out of the churches and make the "clean break".

Unfortunately, they will also invoke what amounts to "Ratification": that your continued service and especially continuation after attaining your legal "majority" ("coming of age") makes the Baptism valid.

You can argue these things and you might have a point, but they will usually only "give you a forum" when they have the advantage.

Best Wishes,

Mustang

• mustang
    mustang

If you combine

1. your "tender age",
    2. likely peer pressure and the "rah-rah effect" of those around you being more compelling than understanding,
    3. the Catholic Infant Baptism (hopefully w/ Confirmation) + not reversing/renouncing that,
    4. your leaving about as quickly as you were out of the sphere of influence of parents or others (I'm assuming that is what transpired) and
    5. the relatively still "tender age" of that leaving,

you might get somewhere.

You will still have the issues of "all those questions" to confront. I believe that the question process was some effort to avert what you are trying to do. I still am not sure that a teenager or 10-year old can handle this business properly.

Your real problem ultimately boils down to getting a real and fair hearing of your points.

Mustang

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I wonder if you can get it annulled if you can prove that you were mentally unstable at the time?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

That's actually a good point MsMcDucket - like in Court? ''Diminished Responsibility''?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Awesome post Mustang!

Unfortunately, they will also invoke what amounts to "Ratification": that your continued service and especially continuation after attaining your legal "majority" ("coming of age") makes the Baptism valid.

Bugger!

ratified unc --- LOL @ FlyingHighNow "Sometimes they will allow people to rebaptized if they feel their first baptism wasn't fully understood. This is only in rare cases though." Unless you're in Adelaide SA. I knew a looney there who was baptised at least three times

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Actually, I'm not happy about the Baptismal thing at all - a minor is a minor. 18 is the legal age in England to drink, get married, vote etc etc. ALSO to enter into a valid contract. Contracts cannot be valid if made with a minor.

I see a JW Baptism as a CONTRACT, but not with God, with the GB (as the recent vows show). To be party to any contract (as an adult) THAT contract cannot be misrepresented to you. I believe the GB misrepresent themselves and so ANY Baptism is invalid if the 'candidate' wishes it to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit