JW Wedding

by Chimene 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Chimene
    Chimene

I have a question, Help!! LOL One of my best friends who is still a very active JW is getting married in March. The second head elder from the KH I used to go to is DJ'ing her reception. His wife is who I used to study with. And she is one hard individual. VERY judgemental person. She will be there also. I really don't want to go to the actual wedding in the KH. The thought of it actually makes my skin crawl. I thought, I would just go to the reception, and I'm wondering if that's even a good idea, would you go? If you did, how would you act?

THanks!!! Chimene

• Purza
    Purza

For me, I think it would be easier to go to the wedding rather than the reception. At the wedding you really don't have to have a lot of interaction with others. But the reception is more of a social thing. If there are going to be people there that make you uncomfortable, is it really worth going? JMHO.

Purza

• Chimene
    Chimene

Good question, she just really wants me to come. I really don't want to step into a KH though, it's sort of like how a JW would feel about walking into a haunted house on Haloween night, they would have the creeps, that's how the KH makes me feel now, I guess because of all the horrible things I've learned and experienced

• Purza
    Purza
    really don't want to step into a KH though, it's sort of like how a JW would feel about walking into a haunted house on Haloween night, they would have the creeps, that's how the KH makes me feel now

I can totally relate to that. You have a tough decision to make. If it makes you feel better, maybe try going to the reception and just leave if things get to uncomfortable. Can you bring a friend with you? That is always helpful -- having someone there to buffer the experience.

Purza

• Chimene
    Chimene

She did invite one other lady we work with, (who is wild!). I told her I guess that she and I can sit together and be "worldly" together, LOL

Thanks Purza

• jonsey
    jonsey

If they need another DJ...Let me know www.mikesmobiledj.com LOL

Mike

PS I am booked on the 11th ceremony and reception 12th St. Pats Party 18th ceremony and reception 30th corporate event
    I say this so just in case I get to go...I can get on the dance floor and tell the DJ...play something dance to

MJ

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'd just send her a gift and skip the whole thing all together. Why put yourself in a situation you know you'll be uncomfortable in?

Think of all the $$ you'll save on an outfit, and who needs the lousy chicken dinner or cake? Assuming it's not catered by the local KH j-dubs, ewellll.

Enjoy the day doing what you really want to do, pamper yourself!

• jonsey
    jonsey

Chimene,

What I meant to say is that if the KH make you uncomfortable like it does me...bail on it. See her at the reception congratulate her and go. If she is tight with you then she will catch up with you later. She has to understand the way you feel and that it is not her but the circumstances around the wedding. That's just my 2 cents.

Good Luck

Mike

• rebel8
    rebel8

If it were me (and it's not), I'd skip everything but the reception. Then I'd have a nice shot of liquor (or two) b4 going in, say congratulations, and leave immediately after dinner. I wouldn't stay for any part of it that involved socializing with dubs.

I agree the ceremony is less interactive than the reception, but stepping inside a KH gives me the creeps. I had to go to 1 wedding in a KH after making my exit, and although I'd been free for years, I wept and had an almost irresistible urge to run away. The hair on the back of my neck is standing up just thinking of it. Ppl assumed it was happy tears for the bride, LOL.

• undercover
    undercover

Let's look at this from another angle...if you really want to see them get married, if you're close enough to them to want to share in that joy, why would prejudice against a building stop you?

It wasn't an overnight thing, but over time I came to not fear or hate the KH. It's just a building. I've been in them for funerals and weddings since become inactive. The JW ceremony might creep me out or disgust me, but I'm not there for the religious aspect, I'm there to share in the joy or grief of the occassion.

I can go to a meeting once in a great while and completely tune it out or zone myself out. They no longer hold power over me that makes me afraid of them.

The reception will probably present more of a challenge to non-JWs or inactive ones. You're no longer on the inside and JWs usually are pretty good about letting you know it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit