What is the Minimum age for Disfellowshipping ?

by Clam 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• uninformed
    uninformed

Blondie,

Did you know Sis Trumbore? She was baptized at 7. They were in the Chicago area for a long time, as DO and teaching KM School.

Actually, I am trying to locate them.

Uninformed

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Pay Attention to Yourself and to All The Flock p.98
    “When a baptized minor becomes involved in wrongdoing that threatens the cleanness of the congregation, the assigned committee should meet with such individual just as they would with any other member of the congregation.”

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    I knew two JW sisters, about ages 11 and 12. Neither were baptized, but at the time it didn't matter because it was during the 4-year(?) period when an unbaptized publisher could be treated the same way as a baptized person. Well my son saw them smoking at school, reported them to the elders, and their names were read to the congregation. Can't remember the terminology, but everyone understood that they were to shun them as if they were disfellowshipped.

Something similar happened to the 12 year old daughter of a friend of mine. Her JW dad kept shoving the religion down the kid's throat until she rebelled and said she didn't want to go to meetings anymore. Her dad then reported her to the elders. They made the announcement and totally humiliated that poor girl.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

there is no minimum in print - but obviously there are practical limitations - I would never allow anybody under 11 to get baptized - it is just way too young unless the yhave been exposed to the world a bit. How can somebody possibly know what they are letting themselves in for at that early age

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think you have to be able to read to get baptized...so since the WTS likes to point to Samuel and the fact that he was five years old when he was sent to be at the temple, that even five would not be too young in their view. They have to get the numbers up and catching them younger is a strategy. Some parents have that concept when they marry off their daughters at 16, 17, 18 to prevent them from getting involved in immorality.

w92 3/1 p. 27 Pursuing a Goal Set at Six Years of Age ***

In the summer of 1946, I was baptized at the international convention in Cleveland, Ohio. Although I was only six years of age, I was determined to fulfill my dedication to Jehovah. That summer I served as a pioneer for the first time.

AS TOLD BY SANDRA COWAN

w52 1/1 p. 29 "Clean Worship" Assembly in Frankfurt ***

There were many witnesses to the mass baptism, and among them many photographers and professional newsreel men. In less than two hours 50 baptizers immersed a grand total of 2,373, baptizing 1,545 women and 828 men, the oldest being 87 years of age and the youngest 8 years.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I was 18 when I got baptized...and now I realise I was too immature spiritually to make that choice. When one is brought up in a religion and closed to the outside world and it's many different path and thoughts....it's pretty hard to make a real choice.

Now that I made researches and DAd myself, my dad is shunning me. And the most horrible part is that he's telling my 13 years old brother that's it's my fault because I broke the vow and promise I made. Crap! Now I'm trying to explain my bro that the WT is actually the one that lied to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit