Anybody still buy vinyl records?

by DanTheMan 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    My receiver blew up this summer and I haven't had it replaced yet, I miss spending the afternoon listening to my LPs

(((((damselfly)))))

• xjwms
    xjwms

Two weeks ago I sold a bunch I had at an auction.

However, ... I keep the Rusty Warren Lp's. Anybody remember her?

Hint, ... Knockers Up !

• blondie
    blondie

I remember listening to her when I was a kid, probably not age appropriate.

• Clam
    Clam

Yeah I buy loads of vinyl to go with my ancient collection. Especially since ebay became a quick and easy way to buy good vinyl. It sounds totally better and I go all nostalgic when the fluff build up causes the pick up arm to slide to the middle, LOL. .

• LDH
    LDH

Here in Fresno at the two flea markets (Fairgrounds on Sunday and Cherry Avenue Auction on Saturday) there are usually one or two guys that have a HOT collection of vinyl....we sometimes buy. My husband still has his turntable hooked up to the sound system, even though we don't often use it.

The last vinyl I bought was ....what the hell is her name...."I feel the earth .. move .. under my feet, I feel the sky tumblin' down." LOVE IT man.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

not carly simon...not candy statton......aaaaah...carol king...tapestry

• greendawn
    greendawn

That will surprise many people because it is generally thought that CDs reproduce a better quality of sound, I used to think that for a long time. I am surprised that music CDs can only last for 15-20 years I thought they went on for ever.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    That will surprise many people because it is generally thought that CDs reproduce a better quality of sound, I used to think that for a long time.

Here's a link that explains it fairly well:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=375592

Basically, a vinyl record contains the full audio spectrum of the original recording with no loss of information. Digital music, because it breaks up the signal into into digital bits, will always be inferior, though there is some debate as to whether people can tell the difference between an analog and a high-bitrate digital recording. I used to think that there wasn't a discernable difference, but that was before I hooked up my iPod shuffle to my stereo and listened to some 128 kbps AAC files through it - there is definitely a dropoff in quality from a CD recording to that, and so I imagine it's the same thing when you go from vinyl to CD.

I am surprised that music CDs can only last for 15-20 years I thought they went on for ever.

I can think of a couple of factors that come into play, such as how well the CD is taken care of and stored, and the different standards of quality that exist in the CD manufacturing industry. I had a cheap Beethoven CD that was completely shot after 6 or 7 years, but this was probably due to poor manufacturing. OTOH, I've realized that I have some CD's that are over 15 years old that still play fine. This link states that 30 years or so is the upper end of life expectancy for most CD's and DVD's.

• jojochan
    jojochan

To me it's nostalgia. Me and pops always went and hunted for vinyl, every weekend. Then we went home and cleaned them ourselves. To me I love to hear the warm sound that comes from the vinyl record. One best example for me is the old herbie hancock albums, and of bob james, the 1,2,3,4 albums. I also love jazz albums of miles davis, and old drum solo sessions on vinyl.

oh, the memories, you're gonna make me pull out the milk crates again.

jojochan.

• daystar
    daystar

I can understand. However, my CDs rarely get but a couple or more plays anymore anyway, as I immediately rip them to MP3 and store the CDs. They'll last much longer.

I do sometimes miss the old vinyls though... of course, I was only a kid back then.

(daystar, of the "tape generation" class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit