UNITED NATIONS , NGO's and WTBS

by MacHislopp 501 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad Apostate and of course others,

I phoned Ms. Oca back at about 10:35 edst. (Edit - I will tell you Ms. Oca was a little taken back that Mr. Barry passed on in 1999)

There was another name that the DPI has.

According to Ms. Oca, the second Watchtower representative is Ciro Aulicino.

Do you know who he is?????

To me, the following is an important fact

By the sounds of things, with a recent member of the Governing Body, the former Mr. W.L. Barry, on the application file, it seems the highest powers in the WTS (the FDS) knew about this. Thus, we NOW CAN CONFIRM AND DOCUMENT that the highest level of the WTS was involved in this association with the UN's DPI. None of this blaming the "excited" brothers crap.

According to Ms. Oca, Mr. Aulicino can get passes to enter the United Nations (however not since Sept. 11/01 for obvious reasons). He can also apply and get passes for other Watchtower members but these other Watchtower members would have to be checked out by the UN security.

Ms. Oca has no other names on file or any other Watchtower representatives that may have come and gone out of the United Nations over the years.

Ms. Oca has requested me to send an Email to the DPI requesting the information from the Watchtower file to be released. However, she cautioned me it is unlikely that I will ever see it for confidentiality reasons. Apparently she does not know what will happen to my request but I cannot see or be sent a copy of the Watchtower's file at this time.

hawk

p.s. - I am still waiting for the Email from the United Nations on what a blank application form looks like.

• msil
    msil

I would encourage you all to designate ONE person and only ONE person to be contacting the UN.

Why jeopardize your research at this point? If they get bombarded with calls they will do one of the following:

1. not answer the calls (our research ends)
    2. revoke WT membership (before all evidence is gathered)
    2. notify the WT and give them a chance to withdraw membership (thats not good also)

Please get organized!!! Think strategy. Don't just swarm everything that you get a chance to. The key is to be effective.

Look what the US govt is doing right now. They gain intelligence first and then they strike. Anything to be learned there?

Once all the intelligence is complete then you guys can go at it like a pack of dogs.....

You can be pissed off at me for saying this but if you want maximum effect you will handle this intelligently.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I have to agree msil, people going off half-cocked as it were will nto do any good. Hawkaw seems to be doing a VERY good job of gathering info, and has a good contact at the UN. Why not let him proceed. Once htis is done we can decide what to do with the info. Bombarding the WTBTS or UN with tons of emails/calls will not do much good.

Thanks for the hard work Hawkaw!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well thanks back.

But I got to tell you that according to Ms. Oca they have already been "bombed" and "swamped" with Electronic mail and phone calls. That is why they are having a meeting over this issue next week.

I will keep plugging away.

hawk

• LDH
    LDH

HAWK--I have a contact that I'm going to try and exploit.

Received an email from a dear friend this morning--guess what I was told?

(not will to reveal location or gender because of WT Trolls).

Here is the quote VERBATIM:

#*$& is getting stamina back after a lot of travelling and of course the effects of the bombings. #*$&$ was in South Africa for the UN conference on race representing nongovernment organizations.

These people are NOT have never been JW. I can't believe I've got an inside track--will email this person today and pick their brains.

Lisa

(PS MA, although your thoughts are valuable, you are not the collective conscience of the board, determining 'who' or 'what' constitutes and issue being 'overblown.' Every brick removed from the foundation of the bullshit WBTS building is valuable.)

• Moxy
    Moxy

if i might interject and ask if this is really all that different than becoming a registered religion in a given coutry by means of whatever national agency handles this in each country? or becoming a registered not-for-profit organization with a given country's national finance ministy.

the part that initially got me was the agreement to promote the UN thru literature -- but it sounds to me now from the discussions with the UN you folks have had that they are pretty lax about this.

im wondering if this is really such a big deal now...

mox

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

The WTS sought and obtained "associative status" with UN-DPI because they see such status as helping their cause. Who could be a better judge of such than themselves? Therefore, whether the UN "disfellowships" them, or whether the WTS chooses to "disassociate" under threat of DF, either event is a huge loss for the WTS, as well as a publicity nightmare.

Since the "judicial committee" is set to review evidence next week, then we should provide as much evidence as possible.

It seems that the two major weaknesses of the WTS with regard to its "associative status" with the UN-DPI is the very basis of such association.

First, the WTS is firmly on record as being "anti-UN". However, the very basis for gaining "associative status" is for an NGO to hold UN ideals in common, to agree to support such, and to carry on a positive public education program to disseminate such.

Second, the "subject" of the WTS's association with DPI is "Human Rights". However, as the Aussie politician points out in the link I posted on page 4, the WTS's position on blood violates the rights of children.

Then, there are the issues of:

*Shunning causing the breakdown of family relationships.

*Shielding of child molestors in the U.S.

*The WTS's intra-church judicial procedures which denies
    -right to representation.
    -right to face your accusers.
    -right to a public hearing.
    -right to a record of such.

All of these issues (and others) should be brought to the DPI's attention.

Emails should be business-like, and succinct. Each email should address only one issue, and should contain at least one quote from the WTS's own literature. Each email should be sent from a different email account.

Be smart! Write about what you know, and your own personal experiences. If someone has a question about something, post it here.

Now's the time for all good men to come to the aid of our cause!

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Moxy:

if i might interject and ask if this is really all that different than becoming a registered religion in a given coutry by means of whatever national agency handles this in each country? or becoming a registered not-for-profit organization with a given country's national finance ministy.

The comparisons you mention are compliances with legal requirements which do not force the WTS to agree with the ideals of the government, nor force the WTS to promote such.

The WTS's association with UN-DPI was a VOLUNTARY REQUEST INITIATED BY THE WTS. The WTS also agreed in writing that it supports the ideals of the UN Charter-thus the UN itself-, and the WTS agreed to carry on a positive educational program to gain support for the UN's goals.

... but it sounds to me now from the discussions with the UN you folks have had that they are pretty lax about this.

Have you read all this thread? Since 1991, the WTS has published several mag articles which promotes UN programs without any negative criticism of the UN, or references to it being the "image of the wild beast". DPI isn't lax! They have been snookered!

Now's the time to provide DPI with evidence of such!!!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Please note - This is from the DPI. You will first see my Email I received from Ms. Oca and then the first of three attachments. The first one is called "Application.doc". The document was sent to me in as WORD file so its format really sucks but I want to get it out. The next POST I make will have the "required applications materials" form and the "criteria for association" form.

To all people who want original copies of these forms, I will send these three documents to dungbeetle and then she can distribute them to whoever wants them. I have requested dungbeetle to get them to Kent so he can post them (if he is interested) at the Watchtower observer. Maybe, other Watchtower observers can contact dungbeetle and post the original documents on their web sites too!!!!

hawk

----------------------------------------------------------------
    First the Email from Ms. Oca to little old me

Dear Mr. hawk,
    Further to our telephone conversation today I am attaching a copy of
    the application form to be filled by NGOs who wish to be associated with the Department of Public Information (DPI) at the United Nations as well as the criteria for association and the required application materials.(See attached file: Application-Form.doc) (See attached file:Criteria-for-association.doc)(See attached file: Required-application-materials.doc)

Thank you for your interest in the activities of the United Nations.

Sincerely,
    Isolda S. Oca
    Information Officer
    DPI/NGO Section

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Next

Application-Form.doc (Note to readers this is in a "Word file" format and thus I am editing so we can read it. Therefore please see Kent's site or those who have received the actual forms and posted it on their web site so they can see what the actual form looks like. This will hopefully happen in the near future with the help of people like dungbeetle)

Please note that the association of your Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with the Department of Public Information (DPI) requires that you provide us with proof of your organizationƒ­s non-profit status and with an annual report on its activities related to United Nations issues.

APPLICATION FORM FOR NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
    (Please read each question carefully and mark the appropriate box or fill out the blank spaces in either English or French.)
    RESPONSES MUST BE TYPED

Completed by: _________________________________________
    Date: _______________________

1. a) Name of organization
    b) Month/Year of foundation:
    c) Country or countries where it is registered as a non-profit organization:
    d) Year(s) of registration

2. a) Headquartersƒ­ mailing address:
    b) Telephone:( )
    c) Email:
    d) Telefax: ( )
    Country + Area
    e) Web site:

3. Will your organization have a representative at the United Nations? No Yes

(Please note: Although is it not a requirement, it would be preferable that one of your representatives reside in the New York area in order to make full use of our NGO Resource Center.)

Main representative:
    First name Surname/family name

Address:
    Telephone: ( )
    Telefax: ( )

Alternate representative:

First name Surname/family name:
    Address:
    Telephone: ( )
    Telefax ( )

4. Please list the principal officers of your organization:
    First name
    Surname/family name
    Tile/function ________________

5. Listed below are some of the most common areas of NGO activity. Please indicate, in order of importance, the threes main areas of your organizationƒ­s work (with ƒ±1" being the most important):

___ Ageing ___ Food problems ___ Law/Criminal justice
    ___ AIDS ___ Health Care ___ Literacy/Education
    ___ Children/Youth ___ Housing/Shelter ___ Narcotics/Drug abuse
    ___ Disabled ___ Human/Civil rights ___ Peacekeeping/Peacemaking
    ___ Disarmament ___ Humanitarian relief/Refugees ___ Population
    ___Discrimination/Prejudice __Indigenous people _Sust.Dev./Environment
    ___Economic/Social Development___ Labour/Union rights ___ Women
    ___ Other (please specify)

6. Following is a list of some of the most common categories used to group NGOs according to their main purpose/objectives and constituency. Please indicate which of them best describe your organization (you may check up to three):

Ĕ Academic/research Ĕ Humanitarian Ĕ Service
    Ĕ Business/industry Ĕ Political Ĕ Union/labour
    Ĕ Cultural Ĕ Professional Ĕ Women
    Ĕ Educational Ĕ Religious Ĕ Youth

Ĕ Other (please specify) ______________________________________________________________________

7. What is the scope of your organization (check one)?

Ĕ Local Ĕ National Ĕ International

8. How many people or organizations are members of your organization?

a) Individuals: _______________ b) Organizations: _______________

9. Are you already accredited with an intergovernmental organization within or external to the UN system?

Ĕ NO Ĕ YES (please specify and indicate year of accreditation): ___________________

10. Are you affiliated with other NGOs?

Ĕ NO Ĕ YES (please specify and indicate year of affiliation): _______________________

11. What is your most recent annual budget? US$ ____________________

12. Which of the following are the main funding sources for your organizationƒ­s activities?

Ĕ Fund-raising activities Ĕ Membership fees Ĕ Voluntary contributions
    Ĕ Government subsidies Ĕ Non-governmental donations Ĕ Sales of publications, reports,
    other promotional materials
    Ĕ Other (please specify) __________________________________________________________________

13. Over the last year, have you organized any activities related to the United Nations?

Ĕ No Ĕ Yes (Please describe them below and attach additional pertinent documentation)

Activities

Subject(s)

Date(s)
    No. of
    Participants

Conferences

Editorsƒ­ roundtables

Fund-raising events

Journalistsƒ­ encounters

Lectures/meetings

Seminars/Workshops

Other (please specify)

14. Over the last year, which of your organization's activities/representatives have received media coverage or attention?(Please enclose clippings or tapes)

Activity/Representative
    Name of print, radio or TV organization and date(s)

15. Please provide details below about any UN-related newsletter, magazine and/or newspaper, or website, issued regularly by your organization and attach sample copies. (For electronic information, such as Web sites, please also include a hard copy.)
    Title
    Frequency
    Circulation / print run

16. Has your organization produced/sponsored any radio or television programmes/public service announcements over the last year?
    No Yes

17. Would your organization be interested in undertaking joint information projects with the DPI on United Nations issues and activities?

Very Likely Maybe Not likely

Please specify:

18. Over the last year, has your organization been in contact with the UN Information Centre or any other UN office in your country or region? (If no, we strongly recommend that you do so).

No (Continue with question 20)
    Yes (Continue with question 19)

19. If your organization has engaged, over the last year, in joint information projects with the UN Information Centre in your region, or any UN office/agency/programme, please provide details below (you may attach additional documentation):

UN office/agency/programme
    Project subject or title

20. Is your organization on the mailing list of any UN office in your country or region?
    No Yes (Please specify):

21. References: List four organizations (UN or others) who are familiar with your organization and its work:

Name Contact information (full address, telephone, fax, e-mail)

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

As per above post. Here is the CRITERIA-FOR-ASSOCIATION.doc, again direct from the DPI and is part of the package a NGO recieves during its application stage.

CRITERIA FOR ASSOCIATION
    WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC INFORMATION

a) The NGO must support and respect the principles of the Charter of the United Nations;
    b) The NGO must be of recognized national or international standing;
    c) The NGO should operate solely on a non-for-profit basis and have tax-exempt status;
    d) The NGO must have the commitment and the means to conduct effective information programmes with its constituents and to a broader audience about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; or enlisting the attention of the media;
    e) The NGO should have an established record of continuity of work for a minimum of three years and should show promise of sustained activity in the future;
    f) The NGO should have a satisfactory record of collaboration with UN Information Centres/Services or other parts of the UN System prior to association;
    g) The NGO should provide an audited annual financial statement, conducted by a qualified, independent accountant;
    h) The NGO should have statutes/bylaws providing for a transparent process of taking decisions, elections of officers and members of the Board of Directors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the REQUIRED-APPLICATION-MATERIALS.doc

REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS

To complete your application for association with the Department of Public Information, kindly provide us with the following materials within the next six months:

_ _ A completed Application Form for Non-Governmental Organizations
    (Note: All responses must be typed. Handwritten responses will not be accepted.)

_ _ A completed Summary of Application

_ _ A copy of the organization's constitution/charter or by-laws

_ _ Official proof of non-profit status, issued by public authorities, and tax exemption status
    (Note: The document should be on official letterhead and dated.)

_ _ A copy of the organization's most recent annual budget or financial statement

_ _ Evidence of an active information programme relevant to the United Nations:
    at least six (6) samples of the organization's most recent information materials (e.g. newsletter, periodicals, tapes of radio or television programmes, conference reports)
    (Note: Electronic materials, such as Web sites or periodicals, should be sent in hard copy form.)

_ _ Letters of recommendation of organizations (UN or others)

_ _ References (see question 21 in the application form)

(Note: All submitted materials must be in English or French, the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Material in any other language should be accompanied by an unofficial translation into either of these two languages.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit