About Tattoos...

by Mastodon 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    What Will Others Think?

Oh horror! Someone might not like it! um... can you say GroupThink??!!

Funny how they quote than one and skip over the previous verse: (Leviticus 19:27)"‘YOU must not cut YOUR sidelocks short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard."

ROFL! I'd like to see the JWs with sidelocks and beards....

GGG

• Highlander
    Highlander

I have mixed feelings on the tattoo subject. I probably will never get one, and if I do, it will be tasteful.

Generally speaking, when I see a person with a tattoo it's really no big deal. However, I do pay special attention to any tattoo I see, as many tattoos are gang specific.

Living in Los Angeles, I'm aware of the typical prison tattoos(signifying the person has done time in prison) and various gang tattoos. If I see someone with a gang/prison

tattoo, I'm sorry, but I don't approve of those, or of that person for being proud of his/her prison time or gang affiliations.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Being in a college town in NW Washington state, tattoos are pretty commonplace, even on people 50+. The only thing holding me back from more is the money issue.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I have 2. a evil clown ripping out of my right shoulder, and a spider web on my right ankle. (prison tattoo)

I may get another one day.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

i havent gotten any yet... i wanna get a pheonix on my right shoulder and forearm... and i want to get some lines from some of my poetry written on my back... dammit, i want lots, but theyt all have to be black...

the infamous one

• Highlander
    Highlander

At least the spider web is on your ankle,, I see them on the elbow out here.

May I ask what you were in prison for?

I've been to jail before,, when I was young I tried out running the police on my motorcylce,,, the police cars couldn't keep up,, but the helicopter did.

• carla
    carla

My jw hides his from everybody, even in summer if possible.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

Just to set the record straight. While strictly speaking getting a tattoo is a personal choice (aka conscience matter), the article cited is quite slanted against tattoos and meant to give the clear impression without saying it directly that (true) Christians should not get a tattoo.

The quote (at the beginning of the article) that was highlighted contains a cue word specifically: "Andrew contends ...

The use of the word "contend" in Theocratese is often used to set up that the position following is an incorrect one and will be thereafter shown why it is wrong.

Also note that it is not the Bible or any scripture which says that tattoos are a personal choice, or even the Society, but rather that is what the ("misguided") youth, "Andrew," states. The rest of the article then goes on to lead the reader to the "correct" view of not getting a tattoo in regular JW fashion.

Like virtually all clothing and appearance aspects of the JW culture, these are lagging behing mainstream Society and stuck somewhere in the Knorr Era.

As already noted having a tattoo is pretty much meaningless (in terms of rebellion or a "statement") and is widely prevalent today - even among the local business class - which is the "rule of thumb" that JWs are supposed to emulate as far as formal Service appearance goes.

Personally, I have never seen a tattoo that I thought added any value to the person and I've seen far too many that just seem plain stupid or pretentious. I think the human body is beautiful enough - but not beautiful enough to go unclothed for most :-) that it doesn't need any such further adornment as a tattoo.*

I hope everyone gets a tattoo and piercings and goes crazy with all kinds of body modifications, etc. because maybe then just being clean, with no tats or piercings will become what is cool.

-Eduardo

*Tattoos for ethno-religious reasons are probably the only exception.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Just thought I would add, many Jewish people do not get tattoos, some for religious reasons and some because the Nazis tattooed the holocaust victims (in some camps) with their number. But I am not sure if Jewish youth have the same compunctions today. -Eduardo

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

No, they don`t. I saw a jew with a Lion and star of David-tat once.

I have 6 tattoos now, a big one on each upper arm, and 4 small ones. I regret a couple of the small ones, which were my first ones, done in my late teens/early twenties, when I was fresh out of JW-land, rebellious etc. Noone should get a tattoo before they`re at least 25, and when they do, don`t think solely on getting something that "means something" to you, because that often changes over time, think about how it`s gonna look on your body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit