Sleep trouble - any tips??

by Super_Becka 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Gotta say it.

I reckon sex is the best way to get a good nights sleep. Truly

Spoken like a true man, doofdaddy. My boyfriend has the same advice - except he lives on the other side of the continent, so he can't help me out here.

-Becka :)

• Soledad
    Soledad

I've been an insomniac all my life. I do mean *all* my life. My mother tells me the stories from when I was very young.

Excercise late in the afternoon (between 5 and 7pm) works well for me.

I need to have a full belly before going to bed, but I don't eat anything heavy. 2 graham crackers with peanut butter and warm milk is my usual treat.

I also need the room to be at a cooler temperature (60-65 degrees F). A too-warm room makes me very uncomfortable.

Absolutely avoid naps during the day. That's guaranteed to mess up your sleep cycle for at least 1 week!

If all else fails, take 1 benadryl with 1 cup of chamomile tea. That will knock you out quickly (the downside is that you may wake up at 3 am and not be able to regain your sleep, but then again that may help you get a good sleep the following night because you have been awake the previous 18 hours.)

• ballistic
    ballistic

bendryl, same idea as mine, diphenhydramine must work the sane as chlorphenamine.

• caligirl
    caligirl

My doctor recently prescribed Ambien for me for occasional use, but I haven't tried it yet. I refused her offer of a sleeping pill for more than a year before finally giving in and accepting the prescription.I had been using Tylenol PM to force me to sleep, but it only worked some of the time. It happens to me 2-3 times a week, not being able to go to sleep even though I am tired. My doctor recommended that I only take the sleeping pill if have a couple nights in a row of not being able to sleep. it sounds like you have had a long stretch of not being able to sleep, so it might be worth checking with your doctor.

Many times, I cannot pinpoint a particular reason or specific thing I am stressing over, it is just that my mind won't shut down.

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

I agree with the others, check with your doctor first. If everything's okay, try putting a little cotton pouch of dried lavender flowers in your pillow case. Lavender scent is deeply relaxing and soothing, very good for inducing sleep. As you relax, repeat this:

"Purple flowers work your charm,
    Remove me from all earthly harm.
    A heavy weight upon mine eyes.
    Deep sleep until dawn reaches the skies."

Dried lavendar flowers can also be added to a warm bath, or try burning a lavender scented candle in the room about a half hour before you want to sleep.

willow

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Read a Watchtower.

• Mary
    Mary

You know what I take every night? About one hour before I go to bed, I take1200 - 1800mg of Calcium-Magnesium. It works quite well and is also a natural muscle relaxant.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Along w nn's suggested breath focus, a friend of mine uses that technique to get to sleep. He gradually slows it down a bit. That puts him to sleep.

S

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Firstly, don't try alcohol to solve it, it only makes the problem worse

I guess I should note that I don't drink, not at all, so this wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm a full-on teetotaler by personal choice. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a geek, I don't drink and I don't smoke, either, I'm clean. And I'm not on any form of medication at all, none at all, prescription or otherwise, nothing that might keep me awake, but also nothing to help me sleep, either.

Read a Watchtower.

Heh, good suggestion, Frannie. I haven't even seen one of those around here in years (not many JWs in these parts), might make for an amusing and sleep-inducing read. It might make me laugh too hard, though, and then not only would I not be sleeping, but my three roommates wouldn't be sleeping, either.

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone, if there's anything else you can think of, I'd love to hear it!!

-Becka :)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Seriously, SuperBecka, I sometimes have trouble sleeping myself (like the past 2 or 3 nights) and I forget (slaps self for not remembering) that if I take 3 calcium w/magnesium tablets before going to bed and go to bed with a fairly good novel to read, I'm ready to sleep within the hour. The calcium relaxes my muscles, the reading relaxes my brain.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit