Sleep trouble - any tips??

by Super_Becka 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Chimene
    Chimene

Oh my goodness, I feel your pain. I have had ensomnia for years now. If someone gives you a suggestion that works, let me know. I've tried everything, and so far, nothing has worked. I feel like I could die from sleep deprovation, uhg!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've read that you should always get up at the same time, even on weekends. I've been doing that lately. And it hasn't worked, I still wake up at 3 am every weeknight with my mind racing (weekend nights aren't as bad). I hate that!!!!!!

• Scully
    Scully
    I've had some friends recommend taking Gravol (the anti-motion sickness OTC medication) before bedtime because it tends to make you really drowsy. Anyone ever try that??

A lot of my nurse friends swear by Gravol or Benadryl for helping them get some sleep. I have only used Gravol a couple of times since I started working permanent night shift. The nice thing about both of these medications is that they are not addictive the way sedatives can be.

I go through occasional bout of insomnia too, and it's incredibly frustrating. I find that it's worst when I feel like I'm overwhelmed with stuff that needs doing (either projects for work, or things around the house that need to be done) and haven't had time to devote attention to them. Sometimes tackling a few of the nagging tasks on my To Do list makes a huge difference.

I'm in a good relationship with a great guy who treats me very well (and my family likes him, too, so all the better)

Maybe the things you are learning about your boyfriend's belief system are causing some conflict for you. It would be natural, for example, for you to feel on some level that your investigations on JWD may be perceived as a betrayal of trust, and this conflicts with your knowledge that you are a trustworthy person. It also puts you in a position where you are no longer at a disadvantage to his belief system. Remember how empowering it was when you first arrived here, and learned why your boyfriend has such a negative attitude toward the celebrations that you cherish? You learned some different ways to cope with his attitude, and by the sound of things he has responded well to the way you handled the matter. Is it possible that you feel a bit "guilty" for "tricking" [for lack of a better word, or to use a word that he might use in this circumstance] him into behaving better?

Only you know the answers to those questions, and please don't feel that I'm not supportive of the action you've taken to improve the relationship from your end. But if there's a chance that this has been bothering you on a subconscious level, it wouldn't surprise me that it would be interfering with your ability to get a good night's sleep. Either way, it would be worth checking into it.

Caffeine may not be the only culprit, either. Do you watch TV, listen to music, or read in bed? Do you exercise right before bedtime? Talk on the phone/computer with the boyfriend before bed? Anything that stimulates you mentally and physically can also result in an interruption in the sleep cycle. Some people do a relaxation routine at the end of the day to prepare themselves to sleep. You can try an evening tai chi or yoga routine, a warm bath with lavendar salts, or a cup of camomile tea. You can learn to give yourself a facial massage, or do the systematic tensing and relaxing of your muscles one by one until you feel relaxed and ready to rest [suggested by Nathan Natas].

Mid winter is actually one of the peaks for insomnia related complaints. We get a bit of cabin fever being in the Great White North, and it usually resolves as the season progresses into spring.

Have you ever tried Melatonin? You can get it over the counter at places like GNC or at pharmacies that offer "natural" remedies and dietary supplements.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    A lot of my nurse friends swear by Gravol or Benadryl for helping them get some sleep. ; I have only used Gravol a couple of times since I started working permanent night shift. ; The nice thing about both of these medications is that they are not addictive the way sedatives can be.

My mom is a nurse who works permanent night shifts and she says that a lot of her friends and co-workers use Gravol to help them sleep if they're having trouble. I guess it's a common remedy in the nursing community, and if it's good enough for them, I guess it's good enough for me. I think I'll pick up a package the next time I'm at the drugstore, just in case.

Maybe the things you are learning about your boyfriend's belief system are causing some conflict for you. ; It would be natural, for example, for you to feel on ;some level that your investigations on JWD may be perceived as a betrayal of trust, and this conflicts with your knowledge that you are a trustworthy person. ; It also puts you in a position where you are no longer at a disadvantage to his belief system. ; Remember how empowering it was when you first arrived here, and learned why your boyfriend has such a negative attitude toward the celebrations that you cherish? ; You learned some different ways to cope with his attitude, and by the sound of things he has responded well to the way you handled the matter. ; Is it possible that you feel a bit "guilty" for "tricking" [for lack of a better word, or to use a word that he might use in this circumstance] ;him into behaving better?

Only you know the answers to those questions, and please don't feel that I'm not supportive of the action you've taken to improve the relationship from your end. ; But if there's a chance that this has been bothering you on a subconscious level, it wouldn't surprise me that it would be interfering with your ability to get a good night's sleep. ; Either way, it would be worth checking into it.

Oh, no offence taken, I don't think you're being unsupportive at all. I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about my relationship and JWs in general and this board and what I've learned and am continuing to learn, and how all of this figures into my life now that I'm in a relationship with a JW, so it could be having an effect on my sleep habits. I'm not especially concerned about this being a betrayal of trust in my relationship, though, because I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I'm a student and I'm researching, and I've also never lied about my research, it's just something that doesn't come up in conversation. If I was lying about it, then I would certainly feel guilty, I have an incredible guilt complex, but I never lie to him about anything, I'm just conveniently not telling him about this board. It still feels so good to learn more about why he believes what he does and behaves the way he does, and I actually think that this is helping me relax a little and not stress out so much about everything. Before I learned anything about JWs and the WTS, I was so stressed out, I didn't know what to think or how to handle things, but now that I'm learning, I feel much better about everything. Actually, I think I've actually been sleeping better since I started posting here, this board is very therapeutic. True, the world of the WTS still confuses and scares me, but I actually feel good about learning about it, I feel better prepared and well-armed with good, solid information, it's a very good feeling. And it's even better that my relationship is going more smoothly since I started reading here, I'm getting better at dealing with my JW boyfriend and understanding him and I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything.

This new sleep problem has arisen very recently, in the past two weeks, but it's not resolving itself, which is unusual. I've been researching for months and posting here since November, so I'm inclined to think that there's some other problem that's keeping me awake, I just don't know what it is. Nothing has changed recently, nothing new at all, I just can't seem to sleep anymore.

I always listen to some quiet music when I go to bed, I've always found that it helps me sleep, but I don't do anything else that might be distracting. I never have caffeine after supper (or "dinner" for all of you non-Newfies out there), I don't talk on the phone in bed, I don't read or watch TV in bed, nothing like that. Hmm, maybe I'm just meant to be nocturnal.

Or maybe I just need a vacation...

Well, it's late here now, so I'm gonna attempt to get some sleep, I have an anthropology test at 10:30am. If I sleep, great, if I don't, I'll probably be back here, perusing the threads, in a couple of hours.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, I appreciate it!! If there's anything else, I'd love to hear it!!

-Becka :)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Better check to make sure that you don't have sleep apnea or GERD. My doctor told me that I had to have "good sleep hygiene". Meaning that the bedroom should be for sleeping. No TV in the bedroom, no eating in the bedroom, no computer in the bedroom. I'm supposed to use CPAP because I have Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, pretty much brought on by my thyroidectomy that left me with a paralyzed vocal cord (it obstructs have my airway). Anyway, just like the others said, "check with your doctor", and go from there.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Here's an article that I found on the web:

HOW TO SLEEP WELL

Updated April 7, 1999

CAN'T SLEEP?

Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to sleep. Tossing and turning. Your mind is racing, going over everything that happened today. Night noises keep you awake. What can you do? There ARE things you can do! Read on and learn some new tricks to sleep well. These tips are also known as "Sleep Hygiene."

• Sleep only when sleepy

This reduces the time you are awake in bed.

• If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something boring until you feel sleepy

Sit quietly in the dark or read the warranty on your refrigerator. Don't expose yourself to bright light while you are up. The light gives cues to your brain that it is time to wake up.

• Don't take naps

This will ensure you are tired at bedtime. If you just can't make it through the day without a nap, sleep less than one hour, before 3 pm.

• Get up and go to bed the same time every day

Even on weekends! When your sleep cycle has a regular rhythm, you will feel better.

• Refrain from exercise at least 4 hours before bedtime

Regular exercise is recommended to help you sleep well, but the timing of the workout is important. Exercising in the morning or early afternoon will not interfere with sleep.

• Develop sleep rituals

It is important to give your body cues that it is time to slow down and sleep. Listen to relaxing music, read something soothing for 15 minutes, have a cup of caffeine free tea, do relaxation exercises.

• Only use your bed for sleeping

Refrain from using your bed to watch TV, pay bills, do work or reading. So when you go to bed your body knows it is time to sleep. Sex is the only exception.

• Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol at least 4-6 hours before bed

Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that interfere with your ability to fall asleep. Coffee, tea, cola, cocoa, chocolate and some prescription and non-prescription drugs contain caffeine. Cigarettes and some drugs contain nicotine. Alcohol may seem to help you sleep in the beginning as it slows brain activity, but you will end end up having fragmented sleep.

• Have a light snack before bed

If your stomach is too empty, that can interfere with sleep. However, if you eat a heavy meal before bedtime, that can interfere as well. Dairy products and turkey contain tryptophan, which acts as a natural sleep inducer. Tryptophan is probably why a warm glass of milk is sometimes recommended.

• Take a hot bath 90 minutes before bedtime

A hot bath will raise your body temperature, but it is the drop in body temperature that may leave you feeling sleepy. Read about the study done on body temperature below.

Trouble Sleeping? Chill Out! - A press release from the journal Sleep about the significance in body temperature before sleep

• Make sure your bed and bedroom are quiet and comfortable

A hot room can be uncomfortable. A cooler room along with enough blankets to stay warm is recommended. If light in the early morning bothers you, get a blackout shade or wear a slumber mask. If noise bothers you, wear earplugs or get a "white noise" machine.

• Use sunlight to set your biological clock

As soon as you get up in the morning, go outside and turn your face to the sun for 15 minutes.

ARTICLES

Sleep Problems Are Costly - CNN

Sleep Tips from CNN Plus Online

Sleep Clinics Help the Weary Find Relief - CNN

Healthy Sleep - Pacific Coast Feather Co.

Tips for Restful Sleep - Group Health Co-Op

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/howto.html

• FairMind
    FairMind

Try counting “other sheep”. I understand they are so many that no man can number them.

• ballistic
    ballistic

My problem I could do with advice on is tiredness in the day.

I find just after 2 o'clock my eyelids are dropping, then again around 7pm. Seems to corelate to around an hour and a half after meals. When I say tired, I mean really tired like I want to go and lay down. It lasts about an hour. Annoyingly I perk up late at night (about now - 11pm) and so I have to be really disciplined and go to bed. About 11pm I feel like starting 101 projects that I have not been getting done, maybe even crack a beer or go to a party. (but I don't).

Any ideas?

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    My problem I could do with advice on is tiredness in the day.

I get that, too, but it tends to be because of the lack of sleep. I find that I really hit a wall early in the evening, say around 7pm or so, and I feel like I could just go to bed then and sleep all night. Of course, if I go to bed then, the problem would be waking up at 3am and I still wouldn't have a normal sleep schedule.

I generally just try to ride it out and wait until a more normal bedtime, say, around 11pm or midnight, but then I tend to be wide awake again. I have no idea how to fix it, no matter how tired I am, I always "wake up" when it's bedtime, even if I was dead-tired all day. Weird.

I'm actually in one of those slumps right now. It's just past 8pm here and I feel like I should go to bed. No can do, I have homework to get finished, but in another two hours or so, when it's getting closer to a normal bedtime, I'll be wide awake again.

I'm starting to wonder if I have "delayed sleep phase syndrome" - that's when a person can sleep for the usual 8 hours or so, but he/she can't get to sleep until really late in the night, so his/her sleep cycle is the same as a normal person's, it's just delayed by a few hours and so doesn't fit into a regular routine.

-Becka :)

• Berean
    Berean

First, see a doctor.

I had problems like not enough rest, waking myself up snoring, headaches, etc. I was diagonsed with sleep apnea and use a machine at night to put pressure in my mouth and nose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit