THE GOVERMENT AND SHUNNING.....

by Mary 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Of course, shunning is not unique to JWs so the groups that practice it would have to be included in any government action, i.e., the Amish. In the US, religious beliefs are so protected that it would be hard to pass a law limiting these beliefs.

I agree with this up to a point....that being that the Amish keep their beliefs and practices to themselves, they don't go out as an organized group and knock on other's doors trying to cleverly convert them with deliberate weasel-words and twisted scripture, and they don't try to arrogantly foist their beliefs off on any one they come into contact with (at school, at work, the parking lot at the mall, the bus station, etc etc), which is in stark contrast to the practices of the WTS and its followers.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Dear Lipscurly,

Please post a copy of the letter from the society that your father got. Please. Even if it is in French. It is very important that it be on the internet for all to see!

I'm very sorry to hear your father has caved in to the Borg.

Love,

Lisa

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    And they definitely do not disclose that they are planning a DOCTRINE study, in place of what they originally said was going to be a Bible study.

We were told to call it a Bible discussion

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh said: A family's religious freedom is just that. If they choose to shun their own and create divisions amongst themselves, than so be it. You cannot leglislate morility or family values. Once you begin to try you overstep the boundaries of a democratic society.
    Yes but that's just it: these people generally do not make this choice of their own free will. It's forced upon them by the WTS. If they go against it, they risk being cut off themselves. So this is not a matter of an individual "choosing" to shun their family.

I'm going to have to disagree with you yet agian Mary. Your right that the WTBS makes rules that the rank n file must obey or be thrown out. It's still a personal choice. Do I raise my family as JDubs knowing that some day if they turn their back on Jehovah that I may have to shun them? If I feel that JW's are indeed the true religion then that's a chance that many JDub's have to and do take. If their children grow up and disassociate themselves then the parent has to make a choice; continue along the path of the JDub and shun their child or suffer the consequences of disobeying the WTBS and continue to have a relationship with their children. The WT is not physically twisting any one's arm. True, emotionally the WTBS is manipulating the rank n file to do what is in its own best interest, but the ultimate choice is still an individual one. If the government can step in and stop the WTBS from making these rules, then rest assured, that it will only be a matter of time before they can tell you personally who you can and cannot associate with.

• Mary
    Mary
    Darth Yhwh said: Your right that the WTBS makes rules that the rank n file must obey or be thrown out. It's still a personal choice.

Well hon, I guess we got a different idea of what constitutes "personal choice". Say someone is holding you hostage and they hold a gun to your head and say "sign this document" or something like that. If the person signs, can it really be said that they exercised "personal choice"? To me, the answer would be 'no', given what the alternative is (death) if you choose to disobey them.

The WTS in effect, is holding a spiritual gun to everyone's head. They might claim that everyone has a 'personal choice', but given what the alternative is: spiritual and emotional death by complete shunning from your family and friends for the rest of your life if you disobey the Governing Body----I don't consider that have much of a choice.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Well I for one would like to know what happened to the Catholic religion to relax their excommunication procedures?

They used to be so gung ho about it and now you never hear of it.

If we knew why maybe it would work on the WTBTS ?

I believe the Catholics at one time also had the shunning process ?

I am talking like 30 or 40 years ago. I used to hear of it quite often.

Snoozy Q...

• kool aid man
    kool aid man

What a great subject, but take comfort that the government, at least in the U.S.A, has been made aware of the practice of shunning by Jehovah's Witnesses. We have been told that religions do have a right to practice shunning, so we have brought to the attention of local and federal agencies the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses teach and practice hatred! This is clearly seen in their publications such as is stated in Watchtower Oct. 1,1952, July 15,1992-Sept. 15, 1993, July 1,1994, June 15,1995, March 15, 1996, and one truly offensive statment made in the Watchtower Nov. 15, 1952, which states:"

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God's law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship. However, God's law requires us to recognize their being disfellowshipped from his congregation , and this despite the fact that the law of the land in which we live requires us under some natural obligation to live with and have dealings with such apostates under the same roof."

This disgusting Watchtower article is, in fact, encouraged and enforced hatred to be shown to any and all who disagree with the Watchtower organization! This is without question to be considered inflamatory, and needs further investigation by the proper governmental authorities.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Great point!!!!!!!

Hate crimes are punishable!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit