"Special" meeting in October?

by Esmeralda 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Hi all,

Question. My mother told my husband that there is to be a 'special meeting' in October at the local sports arena (same place as DC's are held here) and that "only publishers are allowed to attend" that they will get "special cards" for admission from their local congregation and have to hand them in to get into the building.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the "annual meeting" they always have (isn't that generally in October? I forget) but she insists that this is going to be 'special instruction' of some kind.

I laughed and said to my husband, "Yeah, if there's any 'special instructions' given it's probably gonna be 'don't listen to the media, especially shows like Dateline NBC! Don't talk to the media!'

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone still in can verify this story or if it's just another of her rantings.

Thanks
    essie

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

This meeting is to follow the day after the annual meeting, there are to be tie-ins from all across the U.S.

Only a certain number of congergations have been invited, your truly happens to be one of them : )

A Bethelite also told me that one member of the G.B. will be at each site.

And yes you will need cards to get in......and you must be in
    good standing

can you smell the anti's foaming at the mouth

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Are they pleading guilty, do you think?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"A lie which is half a truth is ever the blackest of lies"
    ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON, The Grandmother

• blondie
    blondie

How do they decide which congregations get invited? Are they all over the US and Canada or are other countries involved? Are more congregations than normal being invited this year? Last year was the big change in administration....were more invited then?

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

wow can I go

[gree] "They couldn't quite explain it, they'd always just gone there.....mmmm.mmm.mmm. CTDummies [/green]

• troubled
    troubled

Does anybody know what the special meeting is about?

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, troubled, every year around the 1st of October (remember how everything from Jesus birth to the destruction of Babylon happens around that time) there is an Annual Meeting where the ones who hold the business proxies in the WTS come to vote for the brothers who held up the different business groups as required by business law in the US. That probably takes about 10 minutes. Proxy holders do not have to physically attend but can sign and mail in their votes. Because everyone who matters is there, the GB or whoops, not them any more, the nonanointed brothers and other attendees use it for some special JW news. Last year, the change in the GB no longer being in the business end was announced and explained...that is why MH Larson is listed as President of the WTS of NY on the 2nd page of the WT, not Brother Henschel, and the secretary-treasurer is GF Simonis. Don Adams is president of the WTS of PA (I think), etc.

It would be hard to top that this year. Of course, no secrets from the rest of us. I'm sure this was explained somewhere in the publications since...I can't remember where....

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL at Ozzie.

I think it is funny, if my take on this is right. They no doubt want to "fire up" the troops. So inept. The people who don't get to go are going to feel excluded.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Maybe this is how they will introduce the changes to the understanding of Matt 24?

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• LDH
    LDH

My parents are always invited to these 'special' crap things. It's bizarre, because then they will deny there is no separation of clergy/laity when it is CLEAR not everyone is invited to everything.

YUCK.

Then they spend the next week bragging about who they sat next to, who else was there, etc etc. It's a real status thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit