Smashing

by cyd0099 10 Replies latest jw friends

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Was your old congregation one of those that got together and publicly, noisily, happily destroyed your records?

Mine was.

It was pretty dumb because most of us replaced our albums within about a year after missing music that we liked in the first place.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

What? Please tell me they didn't actually do this !

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

That is the Unforgiveable sin

• deeskis
    deeskis

far out!

reminds me of the public book burnings in nazi germany.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I was briefly at a congregation Minneapolis, Minnesota. I remember an elder stopped by for a social visit with my roommate and his girlfriend. My roommate was telling me

that this elder proceeded to inspect all the movies, cd's that were in the house to see if they were up to WT society standards. Shortly after that night,

my roommate discarded the condemned movies and cd's. I couldn't believe that my roommate allowed this to occur,, He's one of the few that has a college degree and is

a thinking person. However at the time he was dating and has since married a pioneer sister, so his goals soon changed to that of becoming a servant, then elder and putting

spiritual things first. I always thought his then GF and now wife, was full of crap. If she was so spiritual, why did she go after a successful college graduate,, why not after

one of the single pioneer brothers that cleaned toilets for a living? hmmm I'm getting off topic now so I'll stop.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The music shops must have been grateful to the dubs for ruining your records so that you had to replace them. What was it about disco music, it originated in pagan Africa? Who thought of them as being such? But the JWs always have to be very strict and ultra pure.

• lola28
    lola28

Thats bullsh**, never mess with the music.

lola

• prophecor
    prophecor

Below is the bridge where I've buried countless albums, tapes, and other such items never to be seen again

At least until I went back and purchased them again. It was a monumental exercise of futility

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I think it was a talk at the DC about 'music that debases' in the early 80's that got us all fired up.

We had a picnic at an elder's house and brought in armfuls of records, although I think the smart kids brought old, scratched to hell records for destruction.

WE partied dub-style while sledge hammering away.

God, I was dumb...

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Cyd,

I remember that! Over 100 albums up in flames.... I didn't replace them, so maybe it wasn't that important to me....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit