What is Apostasy ?

by Acurardx2007 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Acurardx2007
    Acurardx2007

I have researched the word Apostasy, and it makes the statement about one changing beliefs and speaking out against one's current religion. As a matter of fact at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy Raymond Franz is noted as an apostate of Christianity. However my question is, is it apostasy when it is the truth for instance the Society was part of the UN? This is not Apostasy but truth, while I agree in my opionion some of what I read here my be apostasy other things are fact. I would not considered some one an apostaste that points out something wrong a religion is doing.

• undercover
    undercover
    I would not considered some one an apostaste that points out something wrong a religion is doing.

The WTS agrees with you. In one of the publications they state what you said almost word for word. I wish I had the reference. I think it's in the old blue "Truth" book. Maybe someone will post it.

But, isn't it hypocritical for them to say that and then when a JW points out something wrong they have done, the JW is accused of apostasy?

• Acurardx2007
    Acurardx2007
    But, isn't it hypocritical for them to say that and then when a JW points out something wrong they have done, the JW is accused of apostasy?

Yelp it is. That is my biggest problem when pointed out something wrong one becomes label an apostate. Yet I would fear Jehovah more if I just set back and let things go on. I am by no means saying start a revolution, but a person should be able to bring out the wrong things and even able to ask questions. Jesus disciples ask him questions and even the Apostle Peter told him to be kind to himself when Jesus was going to suffer, which may not be appropiate, but Jesus did rebuke him but did not cast him of, heck Peter even denied Jesus during his trial but Jesus did not caste him off at this point either.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

I've seen several definitions:

A London based band

A rare form of leprosy found in sub-saharan Africa and parts of East Asia that can be cured but leaves pock like marks on the skin.

Protestant religions and modern fundamentalist religions (like JWs)

• DannyHaszard
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

Apostasy in the New Testament is linked to the man of lawless and the Antichrist. Therefore, by diverting worship from the Christ to the Father only the Watchtower Society is by definition Apostate in the biblical sense.
    Anyone that leave the WTS is an Apostate of the WTS, but no where in the bible is that wrong, it is only wrong to leave the teachings of Jesus.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I nuked the jingoistic sounding description of apostacy on wikipedia.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Signs of apostasy vary widely among many Christian denominations, the most common include:
    1. Denial of the Trinity and the deity of Christ;
    2. Denial of the deity of the Holy Spirit;
    3. Denial of moral absolutes, as found in the Bible;

Compare the teachings, practices and doctrines of the Watchtower Society with the above signs and what do you get?

An apostate religion founded by an individual who falsley proclaimed the date of Christ's second coming by measuring the inner passages of an Egyptian pyramid to arrive at several unfulfilled dates.

• Kaput
    Kaput

From the Reasoning from the Scriptures book, pg. 34:

Definition: Apostasy is abandoning or deserting the worship and service of God, actually a rebellion against Jehovah God. Some apostates profess to know and serve God but reject teachings or requirements set out in His word. Others claim to believe the Bible but reject Jehovah's organization.

This organization would of course be the one which has been carefully crafted by celebrated WT scholars.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Apostasy doesn't have to be the leaving of true teachings, such as those of Jesus. It simply means the abandoning and/or refutiation of an organizations teachings. The word is not really a bad label but the WTS makes it out to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit