• Think
    Think

CANNOT HAVE SEX !!!!!!!!

That was the last strow for many...

+ + + = LOVE

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi Danny,

I used to have the book "Children". I read it as I was researching when I was in the process of leaving the borg. It is now in a box in my daughter's garage in Florida. I'm in MA...1300 miles away....so I won't have access to it any time soon. ..until my next visit anyway. I haven't tried looking it up on the web...but I will as soon as I get a little free time....

There may be cultural differences in the organization from one country to the next. There was a brother from England who moved here, and was floored when he heard the attitude of jws on education. He had been to college...didn't see what the big deal was.

Growing up (I was born in '52 ) there were very few kids in my congregation. That changed as families were converted into the organization. There were still only a handfull until I became a teenager. None of my jw friends went to college. More than half didn't have children because of the organization...and the ones who did waited until 1975 was safely behind them. (except me, of course...as I said I was pregnant in 75)

Coffee

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Here is a quote from "Children", page 313.

flood. They began to have children two years

after the flood. (Genesis 11: 10,ll) No children

were taken into the ark and none were

born in the ark, and hence none were brought

out of the ark. Only eight persons went in

and eight came out of the ark. (1 Peter 3 : 29;

Genesis 8: 18) That would appear to indlcate

it would be proper that those who will

form the "great multitude" should wait until

after Armageddon to bring children into

the world.

If Rutherford said it was proper you better do it.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Ok, I spent a few minutes searching the web. I used to have every publication listed here....but again, they are in a box in Florida... I found this at the following website

http://www.gospeldefense.org/quote_list.php3?keyword=Marriage&group=Jehovah\'s%20Witnesses

Hope this works...there are a number of quotes.

Record 326

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

Face the Facts Brooklyn, NY: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1938 p. 46

--/--/1938

Would it be Scripturally proper for them to rear children? No, is the answer, which is supported by the Scriptures.

Record 324

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

The Watchtower p. 323

11/01/1938

If in obedience to the divine command the Jonadabs or great multitude will marry and rear children after Armageddon, would it not be Scripturally proper for them to begin doing so immediately before Armageddon? And should the Jonadabs now be encouraged to marry and rear children? No, is the answer, supported by the Scriptures.

Record 325

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

The Watchtower p. 324

11/01/1938

It would therefore appear that here is no reasonable or Sriptural injunction to bring children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are.

Record 327

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

Rutherford, Joseph Franklin Children Brooklyn, NY: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1941 p. 366

--/--/1941

We can well defer our marriage until lasting peace comes to earth.

Record 328

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

The Watchtower p. 199

04/01/1964

As an example, some prohibit the people from eating meat on particular days and their priests from getting married. Besides restricting one’s freedom, these laws are expressly warned against by Christian apostle Paul. In his letter to Timothy he said that ‘some will fall away from the faith… forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be, partaken of with thanksgiving.

Record 330

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

Awake! p. 11

11/08/1974

Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus’ prophecy will shortly have a major fulfillment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time. They have chosen to remain childless so that they would be less encumbered to carry out the instructions of Jesus Christ to preach the good news of God’s kingdom earth wide before the end of this systems comes. - Matt. 24:14

Record 329

Marriage

Jehovah's Witnesses

The Watchtower p. 31

09/15/1979

God ordained marriage (Gen. 2:18-25). So his Word speaks of those who ‘will forbid marriage’ as having departed ‘from the faith, giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of devils, speaking lies hypocritically,’… How inappropriate, then to disapprove of marriage, a lawful act in God’s sight.

*************************************************************************************************

Sorry for the way it's formatted... it's on a chart on their website.

Coffee

• greendawn
    greendawn

Oh well, if you present yourself to someone for obedience you bacome the slave of that one. Do not become slaves of men because you were freed with precious blood. That's what Paul advises so don't be the slaves of the WTS opportunists.

• DaveNwisconsin
  • Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

The WTS has nearly always had a thing about "College Education" :

-The only exception was for a relatively short period of time following a Watchtower article in 1992.

- If anyone is in any doubt as to the WTS present stance on the matter, the recent post "Helpful in a Spiritual way" should reomove any such doubts. (This is a copy of a public talk that was recently given by a GB member - and it dwells at length on how any JW should not go for a "College Education.")

Adding to the list Coffee_Black has made previously, I can well recall a 1971 Watchtower article - I seem to remember the title being "Second Thoughts about a Higher Education."

(If I have the title not quite right, no doubt someone here will quickly correct me!)

Anyway, in this article, they made it quite clear that "Higher Education" was NOT an option for JWs.

This article directly impacted on me - as the following year (1972), I was to complete the final year of High School - then be sponsored through university to do a degree in Electrical Engineering.However, although my father never quite became a dub, the elders had some pull over him at that point. The result was that I never completed High School, let alone attended university.

(This is why today I am just a raggedy-arsed Electrician, working on an undisclosed remote site, somewhere well and truly the other side of the proverbial "Black Stump.")

Further to this, in a 1975 Watchtower, the WTS made it clear in so many words that "The Watchtower Society considers a Higher Education inappropriate." (This was listed in the WT Publications Index as "The Watchtower Society's view on education.")

About the same time that I got ensnared by the WTS madness, they were down on anyone getting married. There was a magazine article early in 1973 entitled "Making a Success of Singleness." This made it sound like that any single JW who was in any way serious about "the truth" would be staying that way until "after the big A".

From what I particularly remember from being an avid reader of their magazines for 28 years (Also what you got from the platform).

Jack.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    * No beards not really. never was a problem
    Maybe not in parts of Europe but try growing a beard in the USA and you'll be on the receiving end of a counseling toot-sweet.

Oh yes, in Europe too. Beards was an absolute no-no when I was a kid, in the late 70s and 80s, and all thruout the 90s, at least here in northern Europe. I still have never seen a JW with a beard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit