Have you donated blood ?

by wombat 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

I give blood regularly too. What made me do it was hearing about a woman at our local hospital who needed 23 units (yes 23 units!) after haemorrhaging in child birth. I figured that was 23 donations so I'd better get my skates on!

I also like giving my JW sister a lift in my car which has got a GIVE BLOOD sticker in the window.

• Scully
    Scully
    After all, it's not compulsory to donate blood.

When I first started donating blood, my financial situation didn't allow me too much wiggle room to help people in need. I could maybe afford a box of Cornflakes every pay to put in the food bank bin.

It doesn't cost me anything to donate blood, and they give you a nice snack afterward (granted, it's so you don't faint or feel weak, but it's still a nice treat). So it was also a way for me to help other people, without causing undue hardship to my family.

I figure that unless there is some underlying health problem, most JWs who have lived the lifestyle are healthy and free of the diseases that would disqualify them from donating. You can even make your donation in honour of someone who has passed away (including JW children who have died for lack of blood) .... it's a great way of "sticking it" to the Watchtower.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I have in the past and probably will in the future, but due to my recent piercings and tattoo, i have to wait.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Wish I could but I pass out when they take just a little tube of blood.

I get to donate to myself in about 6-9 months. I'm going in for surgery and was told to donate a couple of bags in case they need it. I'm not looking forward to it.

• Buster
    Buster

Absolutely. A-Pos here.

I always find the protocols a bit agravating.

This may be striclty psychosomatic, but starting on the second day afterwards, I always feel great for a few days. I attribute it to the new red blood cells.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I'll try typing this for the 3rd time. This web program doesn't like to copy and paste.

Like a good little JW, I also carry a blood card--from the Community Blood Center in my town. ABP blood type here. I've given several times, and encourage other ex-JWs to do likewise. It helps others (and could save a life), and it's a statement to the $ociety.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

How long should you wait for THC levels to go down before donating?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes.

Blood Type: B+

Bob Evans

Walland, TN

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I'm all for it, in theory. But I get dizzy and squeemish just having a sample drawn at the doc's office, I think I'd prob'ly faint if I saw a whole bag drawn from my arm! I truly want to donate when I get braver. B positive here... is that in demand?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes 2 pints - but quite a long time ago before I got baptized

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit