Beginning the road out.

by wozadummy 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

HELLO TO ALL

Yes I'm new to this forum and I have been searching the net and reading with interest peoples comments here and on other sites. As most know reaching out as a Faithfull JW to others outside of the congregation is difficult at first ,as I guess we think anyone outside the congregation is wordly etc. and we can't open up easily to "strangers" as Jehovah would not approve. But I put it forward ,as I am personally discovering ,that the real issue of not opening up to "outsiders" is not really a problem with the society blocking us from doing so ,but it is WE OURSELVES in our minds that percieve that we can't reach out and talk normally about things with outsiders because we have been indoctrinated into seeing others as "lower" or dangerous to us and our spirituality. This born from the teachings and attitudes of the carefully scripted writings of the Society over a period of time .I feel I have been imprisoned by my mind and it has kept me from coming closer to others over the years as I have percieved alot of people with suspicion because of FEAR of the outside that was cultivated by Society teachings. I came from the world and yet my view became distorted . To illustrate ....my wife and I went on a short holiday recently after not going to meetings for a couple of months. Our view of the Society has been very slowly changing for some time and it was'nt until an experience on holiday shook me into facing the changing person inside me. We stopped at a petrol station and while my wife was at the counter I stayed by my car and engaged a motorcycle rider in conversation parked next to me and my wife observed this . When I farewelled the rider my wife was astounded and asked me to think about what I had just done..."You never would normally talk to someone, a stranger like that before?"

Now this might seem odd to some or even only a small thing but it did illustate to me how wrong I've been in the TRUTH in my relationship with others in the world . That is not to say I"m unable to deal with people as I have a business and deal with people all the time, but now I'm more relaxed around others without having to change the inner me in fear of them being "worldlings".I hope some one understands me,and I feel this is only one change that I will feel I guess now we are leaving the grips of the Society.

I have many questions for you all and I guess I will deal with my thoughts and relate my experiences in the org. in due course. I don't have any time for manic so called apostates that spit hatred over the org. but need to heal through reason and getting to know and trust others again I guess. Hope this is'nt too long.

• KW13
    KW13

You are among people here who will understand what you are going through and will be able to offer sound advice. Your not odd or unusual, your normal

For example what i couldn't comment on, someone will be sure to!

I wish you the best going on this journey, its not always easy leaving the Witnesses but trust me, the folks here are friendly and honest with each other and on every topic that is started. There are no lies and no tricks and your under no obligation to accept what people say either.

Enjoy your stay, welcome to the forum.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi Wazadummy,

Welcome to the board.
    Thank you for relating part of your story. Yes, we are slowly becoming more 'human" when leaving the organisation in some ways...

You will notice that maybe some here have a hatred for the society, but not all. For me, I do not hate the them, and surely I do not have the witnesses. Everyone has a different story, some very painfull, some quite easy. Some are still "in" the organisatrion, like me.
    There are so many differences here, but different thought count here and can be expreseed, not suppressed.

Danny

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, the average 'worldly person' is ok. They are not the devil guided robots that the wt had us thinking they were. Many of them are sympathetic and helpful. Many are looking out for themselves. There are people on both ends of the spectrum, users/exploiters on one end, and the very helpful, empathetic ones on the other.

S

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Welcome here from me too , It is so true that with blanket statements all non JW's are 'worldly' and are to be feared. You have already realised this is not true and just as 'in' the organisation you will find loving and wicked people, its true for everyone else. It just takes time for the indoctrination to fade, maybe not all of it will, but it wont become such a problem to any of us as time goes by. I think the biggest thing is not taking in any more of the propagander the society uses to reinforce its belief structure on its members, in fact that is why so much emphasis is placed on doing 'theocratic' pursuits (things not required or mentioned in the Bible). If you stop taking it in, your mind returns slowly to its normal state where thinking and reasoning can prevail again.

• z
    z

Welcome to the board!!!!!!!

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Thank you for your encouraging words and after such a quick response from you all I feel encouraged a bit. I think I have been leaving mentally for many years but I could'nt see any other place to go, many years ago I went to many churches to see if God was there ,brought up as a Mormon till 12 years old and have been searching for inner peace all my life. I thought I found it earlier in the Truth but many experiences puzzled me ...hypocrites,teachings changing etc etc etc. I don't know how to go about this as leaving in the mind and heart completely is an unknown as it was in coming into the Truth. I am puzzled in that if this is'nt the TRUTH why did so many extraordinary things happen to me that convinced me at the time that I should rely on Jehovah and his organisation and join .....should I relate somethings that happened ?

• Severus
    Severus

"wozadummy" apparently refers to the past tense.

Welcome to the board!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hello, welcome and congratulations! It's a long road, and it's the ride of my life! I'm so happy and just have to tell everybody about it, especially our new buddies.

I find this site so liberating; every time I read a new thought here it lets something go inside - it took years to coat my soul with so many lies, and it is taking a while to shake them. It will happen, and knowing that I'm not the only one (by a mile!) is so encouraging. Everybody here knows where you're at and what you need. Make yourself comfortable.

much love, Sass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit