JWs, why God's organisation and not His church?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

What I see in reviewing the Bible is the emphasis on covenants with God and not on any one organization. Those in a covenant relationship with God are his people, those who are not in a covenant relationship with him are not his people. There is no indication that some in a covenant relationship (WTS's so called remnant) could start up an organization and include many who are not in a covenant relationship and yet call these God's people. No indication at all.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    There is no indication that some in a covenant relationship (WTS's so called remnant) could start up an organization and include many who are not in a covenant relationship and yet call these God's people. No indication at all.

So what does the WTS use as a basis for their assertions that they are "God's Organization"?? Do they use direct Bible references or do they just twist things and quote out of context to make their story fit??

-Becka :)

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    or do they just twist things and quote out of context to make their story fit??

Being a new faith they would most likely only survive by doing the above.

Evanescence

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the emphasis on "God's organization" started with Rutherford. Before that the focus was totally on finding the remaining anointed Christians of the Christ's church. Every Bible Student, member of the WTS, was anointed and part of the church. Thus the vocabulary focused on the church not "organization."

You might enjoy this article by Norm Hovland or "organzation" and Charles Taze Russell.

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/org.russell.htm

Russell's Opinion on Organizations

Norman Hovland

Charles Taze Russell was no doubt a very religious man, and as such as prone to superstition as religious people today. As we know he had some really weird ideas about the pyramids and sexuality. On the subject of "organizing" and religious organizations he also had very clear views. If he had been alive today, he would very promptly have been disfellowshipped for expressing his ideas about organizations. Just take a look at some of the things the Watchtower wrote in his time:

"Beware of "organization." It is wholly un-necessary. The Bible will be the only rules you need. Do not seek to bind other consciences, and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's word today, and so continue to growing in grace and knowledge day by day." (Zion's Watch Tower, 1895, p. 216.)

"In view of these facts and also of the nature of the harvest work, and the addition. In fact that each one so gathered is expected to enter into the harvest work as a reaper, and will do so to the extent of his ability and opportunity, it is plain that the forming of a visible organization of such gathered out ones would be out of harmony with the spirit of the divine plan; and, it done, would seem to indicate on the part of the Church a desire to conform to the now popular idea of organization or confederacy. (See Isa. 8:12.) ... While, therefore, we do not esteem a visible organization of the gathered ones to be a part of the Lord's plan in the harvest work, as though we expected as an organization to abide here for another age, we do esteem it to be his will that those that love the Lord should speak often one to another of their common hopes and joys, or trials and perplexities, communing together concerning the precious things of his Word, and so help one another, and not forget the assembling of themselves together as the manner of some is; and so much the more as they see the day approaching. -- Mal. 3: 16; Heb. 10:25." (Zion's Watch Tower, 1894, p. 384.)

(continued)

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/org.russell.htm

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I reckon it's a perfect description because they model themselves on business not spirituality.

Actually had a p.o. say to me, successful in business, good ms and elder.

Not a mention of spiritual maturity

• SomeGeek
    SomeGeek

I know one time I was talking with my Jw freind about how some people think tattoos were wrong. I metioned that some people belive one would be defacing your temple, that is your body. He looked at me blankly. I added "you know how in scripture where it says your body is a temple..." . He said he had never heard that. Go figure. So if they don't use church I could see why they don't use temple. Don't get me started on the convo we tried to have on the church being the body of Christ...

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Super Becka,

I think twist is accurate. They observe that those in the covenant were organized in the Biblical accounts for preaching and other works of charity, From there they add that God has an organization,he has only one and they are it.

Thanks for the article Blondie it is good.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Blondie

• uninformed
    uninformed

Blondie,

Godd reference on Russell.

sorry for the double post. Don't have any idea how it happened.

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

never thought of that....Jesus gave emphasis on His church. The word, "organisation." never came through His mouth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit