JWs, why God's organisation and not His church?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs call themselves an organisation and not a church except perhaps very rarely. But is there something untoward hiding behind this choice?

To me it is objectionable because it ties in with the FDS concept as God's sole channel on earth serving His supposed people. There is an absolute centalisation of power in the hands of a tiny inner circle. Yet nothing like that existed in ancient Israel and its prophets or in apostolic times, and as for Moses he foreshadowed Jesus and not any FDS of the JWs.

So there is much to be said about the choice of the word organisation rather than church.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

That is interesting because the bible often refers to a "church" not an "organisation"

Evanescence

• JeffT
    JeffT

Among mainstream Christians the word church is understood to mean all believers worldwide, and throughout history. It is not confined to a building or a particular denomination. This ties in with Jesus' statement that wherever two or more gather in His name, he is with them; and Paul's statement that mature believers do not need a teacher. This is the exact opposite of the WTBS use of the term organization.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

It makes them 'different'... makes them stand out from the 'world'.... makes them 'special'.....

It's the cult in action.

GGG

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Does the NWT state at any point that the WTS is "God's organization"?? Just curious as to the use of the word "organization" rather than "church" and whether or not the JWs use their Bible to justify that term.

"Church" seems to be a more appropriate word for a place of worship and/or for Christians in general, especially because of the Biblical references that use the word "church". The one that really stands out in my mind is Matthew 16:18 (King James Version) -

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

How would verses like this one read in the NWT??

-Becka :)

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

why God's organisation and not His church?

cause they aren't

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    why God's organisation and not His church?

cause they aren't

Nicely put.

-Becka :)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

church = evil , organization = good, so sayth the governing body

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Super_becka

The NWT rendering of Matthew 16:18 goes like this:

"18 Also, I say to you, You are Peter, and on this rock-mass I will build my congregation, and the gates of Ha´des will not overpower it"

In addition to "organization", JWs also prefer to stick with substitutes like "congregation" and "Kingdom Hall" when referring to a local church, not the worldwide one.

And I believe the reason for this is what GGG has already mentioned: they're raising themselves above others on the pedestals of righteousness and exclusivity.

INQ

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    How would verses like this one read in the NWT??

Use this site, http://www.watchtower.org/bible/index.htm

Their bible online!

18 Also, I say to you, You are Peter, and on this rock-mass I will build my congregation, and the gates of Ha´des will not overpower it.

Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit