who attends a church now?

by meems101 44 Replies latest jw friends

• meems101
    meems101

i'm interested in knowing how many, after leaving, started to attend a church. if so, what one and how did you decide?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I do, just got back from my church. Love it, love it, love it. It's a non-demomination church. Found it through my kids, a friend of my oldest son invited us to a church function and we have been going ever since.

Josie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I don't know how you'd find out how many - maybe start a Weekend Poll?

Mrs Ozzie and I attend a christian church - any christian church is OK by us. Does that help?

The difficulty with the question is that the label attached to a church in one country may not be the same as the use of that label in another. Take Anglicaan as an example. There are so many variations of the worship practices that it mught be misleading to label ALL Anglican churches as being homogeneous.

For the record, Mrs Ozzie and I mainly fellowship with an Anglican church, but also a Baptist church.

We choose to fellowship with the Anglican church in the area we do for at least two reasons:

1. it appeals to an ex-dub who's had enough of rules and organisation - the Anglican church is known as a "broad church".

2. we want to build up the faith of the believers in that particular area.

Oh yes, and like Mrs Jones, we simply love it!

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers, Ozzie

• greendawn
    greendawn

Any non cultic Christian religion is OK to attend be it the Catholic, Orthodox or (serious)Protestant. I myself have kept a distance from them and attend occasionally one or other church.

It is the strange high pressure cultic religions like the mormons and the scientologists that are very dangerous for one's psychological well being. There is a deadly demonic power operating in them.

• meems101
    meems101

i have attended some presbyterian services and have enjoyed them. my kids like sunday school and enjoy learning.

• slugga
    slugga

"computer says no"

(Sorry Brit in-joke)

Too well brainwashed here, I couldn't go to another church. I know that idolatry, the trinity and all those other practises are "wrong"

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference here between those dubs that are born into it and the dubs that have been brought into it. I think that those of us born into it will have a harder time coming to terms with going to a new church.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

slugga:

What you say may be true but not for me.

I think I should add that the whole point is that the JWs is simply not "another church" so going to church is something done quite afresh.

• meems101
    meems101

i was born in to it, my mother was around 10 when her parents started, that was late 40's early 50's. i've been out of it for 20 years now but still have this crap in the back of my head about what's right and wrong about going to church. i spoke with my dad about it today, never a dub, and he said he and my mom now go to weddings, funerals and other services at all churches. i asked if mom would have a problem knowing i attended christmas eve services at a presby church and he said no. funny now that i'm in my 40's i still feel like that kid sometimes who has to sit still during the meetings and not talk.

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

No, other church attendance for me. I have had enough of any man or men telling me what is right or wrong. I'll read and figure it out for myself.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    i still feel like that kid sometimes who has to sit still during the meetings and not talk

How do you mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit