Life in Bethel & Ex-Bethelites know if the GB prayed together?

by Sheepish 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Trojan
    Trojan

I'm still a Bethelite. What-A-Coincidence wrote:

Satisfying how? Healthy meals, your laundry gets done, a medical staff, no bills except a telephone bill, etc. Those are the positive aspects. Then again it depends on who you associate with, some Bethelites are clowns, some are down to earth, some are Borged out. Some overseers Lord it Over. Some are down to earth. I had both. One was a total jerk and another was like a father.

To me that's one of the worst parts of Bethel life! It takes your iniciative away...some Bethelites have the same syndrome prisioners have (I have forgotten the technical name...), they can't live a life outside, you "unlearn" lots of things that are necessary to the "outside" life. I grew up without a father and learned to make my own money since I was 12.....I had to take care of myself and my little sisters, because mom had to work all day long. I cooked my own meals since that age. Now, here I am at Bethel....do you really wan't to know HOW BETHEL REALLY is?

Go, watch the movie "The Island".....anybody who has been a bethelite will agree. Some of the bethelites will make funny jokes about how that movie really portrays the inside life.....

If you have seen the movie (which metaphorically could also apply to the organization itself) there is one part where the main character asks the Doctor (which controls everybodys moves, even if they have too much sodium in their urine): "There must be something else than sitting here and waiting for the Island...." Go and think what that means...

This might be funny to some of you, but we are not very far from the "checking your urine" situation. This bethel overseer told a sister that she can't eat certain foods, chocolates, etc. because Bethel is paying for her treatment and he considers those foods as bad (he was talking about chocolate specifally). The sister told him that the doctor (outside Bethel) haven't told her to do a special diet......

The control is sickening! Only my two pennys on the subject....

OH, and prayers? One of the staff members in Service Department told me that one day he wrote that letter to some poor old pioneer sister, encouraging and so, and at the final sentence he wrote something along the line "and we pray for you and your well being".....his overseer (a very harsh man) told him to take that sentence out, because it sounds as we sit here praying for others and that sounds childish......make it business like!

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

More to life in Bethel:

Things that are HATED amongst ALL Bethelites

Dish Duties - hello! You have a big enough kitchen staff to handle this!!! The sisters up until a few years back were not required to assist but Branch Comm. decided to standardize this for all the branches. Since others were, now we had to. I did not complain

Watchman Duties - The worst of them all!!! Especially all-night ones.

Those are the ones I did. Hated them!!!
    These I HATED
    Fam. Watchtower Study - good lord!!! WHY???
    I understand a prayer to start your meal but to finish it? WHY???

Why the heck have a separate bible reading apart from the TMS??? Why?
    Work on Saturday??? WTF??? give me a break. The reason? I heard (not sure if true) that bethelites were taking long trips - fri after work and coming to work on monday am and being exhausted and for fear that they might get into an accident - so they decided to shorten the weekend by making you work mostly all the saturdays of a month. Makes no stupid sense! Besides, no none really works on saturday. For awhile you could skip your sat. work day and if anyone asked just say you were sick. I guess they caught on and now you have to call the infirmry + your overseer takes roll call early sat morning. You can't be late ... another thing we got counseled on. WE WERE THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVES. WAC

• meems101
    meems101

to Trojan

do you want to leave? why do you stay?

• littlemike
    littlemike

Yes well said Blondie

But they still teach the number was sealed in 1935 and they are replacements. There must be a lot of 80-90 year olds falling away

Mike

• Trojan
    Trojan

What-A-Coincidence!

Hey, NOW i know you where a bethelite. Only a insider could mention the stuff you addressed in your thread. Yes, it's all me! (Hate the dish duty thing, the watchman and the extra watchtower).

Here is what they recommend: if you are spiritual and a well behaved boy, you prepare the Watchtower with your wife.....MAN, GIVE ME A BREAK! PLEEEASE....how often should I study the Watchtower?????

No. 1 - Once it arrives (YOU SHALL read everything the FDS gives you RIGHT AWAY)

No. 2 - Family Study with your wife

No. 3 - With the Bethel family

No. 4 - At the Hall.....

This is what I call indoctrination!

Me: Read over it in 15 min. Don't do the No. 1, 2 and often 3.......

The nice thing about watchman duty is you can miss the meetings.....(there is a rule in the Dwelling together manual that says that Bethel is the foremost important thing in your life....it goes BEFORE meetings, service and whatever there is....BETHEL is FIRST. Oh, for the ones that don't know: Dwelling together is the little manual "Bethelite for Dummies" - one bethel friend called it the work of the devil...because if the submission thing in the WT scares you, then you should give this little green colored brochure a look.....

Why I'm still in? I had a thread about that.......I'm working on my way out.....believe me....it's very complicated to get out.....I'm the prisoneer that is using a spoon to scratch a crack in my prison wall....once it's big enough.....I'm out. In the meantime I've got to scratch on that wall....

Trojan.

• meems101
    meems101

are they monitoring your internet use also?

• tweety
    tweety

Trojan,

You compared Bethel to the movie 'Island'. I watched that movie and the ones in control told the people how they should act, what they needed to eat, what to where...that was a good comparison.

So tell me, you're like the charactor Lincoln who starts to question the ones in control and the compound where they live? I won't mention anymore about the movie or the ending...in case there are ones who want to see it. But that was Awsome.

Tweety

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

WAC-What exactly do watchman duties consist of? I imagine they are kinda like being a security guard?

How long is a bethel hitch? I will look up your other posts so I don't bug you with too many questions...(yours too Trojan!)

That comment about praying was what I suspected. The prayers of most elders I knew were stilted and perfunctory. Not at all like they were talking to a friend....

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I can't say that Bethel controls your every move. I mean from M-F 7am-7:35am; 8:00am-11:55; 1-5pm you are basically tracked, they got GPS on your a$$, or at least it seems like it, not much diff. from a legitamate company.

After that, you can do what ever you wanna do. Go to a pub, get loaded (not that I ever did or heard of that but you could.) with GB members in "The City".

WAC

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Sheepish ... regards to Watchman Duties ...

underlined by WAC

TO ALL BROTHERS HANDLING OA:OC January 21, 2000
    WATCHMAN DUTY ASSIGNMENTS
    Dear Brothers:
    Every assignment we receive in Bethel is sacred service to Jehovah and
    should be viewed as a privilege and an honor to fulfill. The Scriptures remind us,
    "Whatever you are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah." (Colossians
    3:23, 24) Therefore, we should have the same view of all Bethel assignments as
    was expressed by Isaiah when he said: "Here I am! Send me." (Isaiah 6:8; Dwell-
    ing par. 23, 27) This attitude should be especially evident in how we care for our
    watchman assignments.
    According to Insight on the Scriptures, a watchman is defined as "one who
    guards against possible harm to persons or property, often during the night, and
    who may sound an alarm in the face of threatened danger." (it-2 1171; Jeremiah
    51:12, footnote) To ensure the personal safety of the Bethel family, along with the
    security of the Society's buildings, evening watchman duty assignments are vital.
    You have been entrusted with this important responsibility. It is expected that you
    will always be present to care for your assignments, start them on time, and not
    leave until the designated time. It is important that you be alert and conscientious
    as you perform your duties, thus showing yourself to be a person 'faithful in what
    is least' and 'faithful also in much
    .'—Luke 16:10.
    If you cannot fulfill an assignment because of vacation, sickness, etc., please
    arrange for your own substitute as soon as possible and then notify the Bethel Of-
    fice Scheduling Desk in writing. If a brother forgets his assignment, arrives late, or
    fails to notify the scheduling desk of a substitution, the Lobby Desk has the diffi-
    cult task of locating a replacement. On occasion, this has resulted in the watchman
    who was assigned the earlier shift having to remain for an additional shift. Please
    prove yourself trustworthy so as to avoid creating such situations by applying the
    counsel of Jesus: "All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also
    must likewise do to them."—Matthew 7:12.
    We can be sure that Jehovah will bless your efforts as you concentrate dili-
    gently on faithfully fulfilling this privilege of service as 'skillful' watchmen
    .—
    Proverbs 22:29.
    Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit