Life in Bethel & Ex-Bethelites know if the GB prayed together?

by Sheepish 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I have always wondered how seriously they took this dispensing doctrine thing. Do they all get together and actually pray or just have meetings? Would anyone actually know? Ex- Bethelites say they wrote doctrinal articles for the Watchtower or Awake. Anyone have first hand info?

I would also like to know about Life in Bethel. I think that would be interesting.If it has already been discussed to death, sorry, I missed it.But the magazines only give you the "party line" on what it is like.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I think it's a given that the GB pray before their meetings/discussions.

Have u read Ray Franz's books?

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Ray Franz talks about the 'order' of the GB meetings in detail in Crisis of Conscience. I believe they prayed before the meetings, but he states on a number of occasions that prayer was rarely used as a means to deciding issues.

Barbara Anderson talks about some of the articles she wrote while she was at Bethel. It appears that it is common for staff writers to pen the articles and then submit them to the head of the writing dept for approval....

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Did Barbara Anderson write a book? Or is she on this site?

I did read CofC years ago...I guess I need to reread it, it has been so long I didn't remember that.

Thanks!

• meems101
    meems101

Barbara Anderson and her husband have some information on macgregorministries.org.

it's a very enlightening site.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Given that most of them are in their mid-90s, I suspect that the recent "young ones" (i.e. under 80) that have been appointed, just wake them up long enough for a prayer and then let them drift off into dream land again for the rest of the board meeting. Then they are wheeled back to the nursing home.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Life in Bethel "can" be very satisfying as long as you are blinded to the truth about the truth as I was until taking the "Pill".

Satisfying how? Healthy meals, your laundry gets done, a medical staff, no bills except a telephone bill, etc. Those are the positive aspects. Then again it depends on who you associate with, some Bethelites are clowns, some are down to earth, some are Borged out. Some overseers Lord it Over. Some are down to earth. I had both. One was a total jerk and another was like a father.

With regards to the spritual instruction in Bethel - Morning Worship (Daily Text consideration, Bible Reading, Bible Highlights), Family Watchtower Study, Special Programs, Gilead Graduation, etc - I mean nothing "great". Many times during a Special Talk for the Bethel fam. a speaker would say something "out of line" but was shrugged off as, "He is gonna get spoken too." We never gave it much thought. Many times a GB would say something with regards to sisters/wives and we would all say damm, he said that? I guess he can because he is GB. WTF?

The GB I spoke too were very cool, down to earth, and sincere. Jaracz is not the friendly type, more business like. R Franz is right on the mark when he speaks about each GB member. As far as them praying together - same as what was mentioned earlier.

WAC

• greendawn
    greendawn

If I remember well Ray Franz wrote that by far most of the WTS writing was being done by non annointed JWs. He also wrote that they voted on issues with some being against and some for, that makes a non sense of the Spirit direction of the GB.

• blondie
    blondie

Now let's do a little research on the birth year of the Governing Body's members:

Out of the current 12 only 5 were born before and possibly old enough to have been selected as anointed making the replacement anointed in the majority (7).

Carey Barber ………………1905

Albert Schroeder…………..1911

John Barr ………………… 1913

Daniel Sydlik……………… 1919

Theodore Jaracz……………1924

Guy Pierce …………………1934

Samuel Herd ……………….1935

Gerritt Losch ……………….1941

David Splane ……………... 1944

Steve Lett …………………. 1949

Anthony Morris..................Late 40's/Early 50's (?)

Geoffrey Jackson ..............Late 40's/Early 50's (?)

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/gbgrowsold.htm

I'm sure the GB pray together just like the elders pray together for their meetings. What the quality or sincerity of their prayers remains to be seen. I do know that many elders felt that the Bible was unnecessary at such meetings relying on the words of the FDS.

Blondie

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Thanks everyone. Thanks "meems" for the site. Thanks "What-a-coincidence" really appreciate first hand info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit