What is the real meaning of life?

by Nicolas 30 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    YOur body must rest a number of hours a day. During this time what is your spirit doing, it needs no rest.. its a lot of time when you get right down to it.

Experiments with computers modleled after our brain, nueral-nets, have shown that dreaming is a necessity of this sort of wiring. The nuerl net needed to rest every couple of hours and generate random data or else all the tiny errors in the net would multiply and cause massive system failure. In the same way, we need to sleep and generate random data, dreams, so as to keep our brains healthy.

So you run the network in wake-sleep cycles, and it learns. The authors got a big collection of handwritten digits from the post office. They fed the digits to the network, and it learned to recognize them - without anyone telling it what to look for.
    They also printed out the network's dreams--the simulated input patterns. Images of the 10 digits appeared in the dreams. What's more, the images were not idealized representations of the digits. Rather, they were all variations on the ideal, and the variations in the dreams very much resembled the variations found in the actual input data. A sample of the input and a sample of the dreams looked pretty much the same.

On this theory, you could start to understand why people hallucinate when they aren't allowed to dream. If you don't dream, then your brain can't keep its perceptual categories optimized for your current reality. And a divergence between perception and reality is essentially the definition of a hallucination.
    You could also start to understand the experience of dreaming: a dream would appear to be the subjective experience of your brain running backwards.

.. http://world.std.com/~swmcd/steven/stories/dream.html

.. http://www.imagination-engines.com/newpcai.htm

-Dan

• mommy
    mommy

Hearing my children's laughter
    Seeing the twinkle in my daughter's eye.
    The way the sun makes her hair sparkle.
    My son's quippy remarks that make me belly laugh.
    The feeling of rain soaking your body.
    The smell of freshly cut grass.
    The look of appreciation in another humans eye, when you take time to help them.
    Laying in a field of grass, looking up at the sky.
    Watching the stars at night, and perhaps seeing a falling star.
    Making a wish and seeing if it will come true.
    Setting a goal, and attaining it.
    Accomplishing something you have never accomplished before.
    Meeting someone new, and learning from them.
    Having a friend you can tell most of your secrets to.
    Contecting with another human.
    Sex
    Walking barefoot in the sand.
    Watchign the sunrise, and sunset.
    Listening to music.
    Listening to silence.
    The little things in life, that make it all worth it.
    Doing something nice for someone without a chance of a reward.
    Living your life without a chance for a reward.

Nic,
    I can go on and on and on. There was a time that I thought without the thought of a creator, life would have no meaning. I am now realizing that before I based my life on what would happen after this one. We control what happens now, and on the other side(so to speak) we don't really have control, because we really don't know what is there. If you live your life now to the fullest, you will have a full life.
    wendy

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

A book I found helpful in answering this question is Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl.

Man's Search for Meaning tells the story of eminent psychiatrist Viktor Frankl, who was imprisoned at Auschwitz and other concentration camps for three years during the Second World War. Immersed in great suffering and loss, Frankl began to wonder why some of his fellow prisoners were able not only to survive the horrifying conditions, but to grow in the process. Frankl's conclusion - that the most basic human motivation is the will to meaning - became the basis of his groundbreaking psychological theory, logotherapy. As Nietzsche put it, "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Although the Viennese psychotherapist himself survived Auschwitz, his mother, father, brother, and pregnant wife were all killed by the Nazis. He lost everything, except one thing: “the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances.”

"What matters is not the meaning of life in general but the specific meaning of a person's life at a given moment. Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life to carry out a concrete assignment which demands fulfillment."

"The salvation of man is through love and in love."

"Everything can be taken from a man but ...the last of the human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

Perhaps my reason for being is to later act as fertilizer for daffodils. I hope to make a bit more of a difference. I often ponder how people before me have enriched my own life by leaving their books, their discoveries, the fruits of years of research and work. I've been able to learn so much in such a short time. In effect, they have lengthened my life and enriched it.

I hope to do the same. I would like to share what I have learned, perhaps by writing a book. If only one person reads it, learns from it, and saves some time, well, that is something.

While growing up JW, books were my solace and my escape. With some books, I felt as though the author was holding my hand during a lonely, restless night. I'd be in awe: "Somehow this writer knows and understands, even though no one around me does." I'd like to offer a hand to someone else in need.

Ginny

• Okidok
    Okidok

The meaning of life is to pay your bills.

"It takes two to speak the truth -- one to speak, and another to
    hear."
    ---Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Mommy, nice list. Lets combine it with the wisdom of Solomon, and we'll really have something. Maybe something from your list

Ginny, put me on the advance copy list.

• conflicted
    conflicted

This is MY opinion only, I just post it to see what you think, not to convince you that it is true.

Religion is anti-life. The sole point of religion is to prepare one for the "next level". Unfortuneately, nobody knows if there is a next level. Those with unshakable faith will say they know, but even they don't know, they hope.

I say we are alive now, if you have to search for a meaning behind your existance, go for it - you have that right. If you are satisfied with you life and are happy in being you, great, you have that right as well.

I for one dont need someone else to tell me why I am here, the fact that I am is good enough. I live a peaceful life, and that is all I wish for everyone else. I am an individual, and I don't need to belong to an organization (not just JW's, but ANY group) to make me feel whole.

On the other hand, some people DO need a group to define themselves, and again, I say they have that right.

If organized reigion makes you happy...
    If raising a proper and decent family makes you happy...
    If being one with yourself makes you happy...

Happiness is the answer, because in the end each one of us is going to do... what makes us happy.

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2
    Religion is anti-life.

Exactly! This is why there were kamikaze pilots, suicide bombers in Israel, and other suicidal cults. they beleive that the next life is much better than this life. So why care about dying? Or killing?

dan

• mommy
    mommy

Six
    You are going to have to stop teasing me and show me the action

Actually I am really thankful for this thread, I was in a good mood all day. I kept finding more and more things to add to my list. I agree with Conflicted happiness is the most important thing. And today I have had a very happy day
    wendy

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• ReverendRoy
    ReverendRoy

love and happiness

what else do you seek? there may be nothing more than just this short existance on this planet....and if that is the case, just this short time, should we try to savor every moment of it?

it has been said many time, in many ways....all you have is right now

• rem
    rem

It seems to me that the purpose of most religions is to convince people that life really sucks and keep them waiting for a better fantasy land to come.

To me life is neither good nor bad. It just is. To me that explains why we have fortunate ones with easy lives and unfortunate ones who never have a chance to reach their full potential - or even enjoy life. No apologetics necessary for some schitzo sky daddy who it is claimed loves us, but has apparently abandoned us all if he does indeed exist.

I don't believe there is a purpose to life, but I'd still like to get one. :)

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit