What is the real meaning of life?

by Nicolas 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

I mean, if we have been created by the evolution then, our life really have no purpose. We live about 80 years and then we die and it's finish. It seem really dull to me. What is your opinion. Please don't answer me with the Bible or another book of this kind cause I'll consider you as an apostate.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hello Nicolas,

You ask, if we were created by evolution, then what is the purpose of life?

While I tend to think that there is a higher purpose to life, though my reasoning has nothing to do with the Bible, I think I would answer your question that, if we are here solely because of evolution and there is no creator or divine plan governing our existence, then the purpose of life is for life to evolve to such a state that it can create its own purpose. If we evolved with no help, then life exists for its own sake and the purpose IS evolution.

Silverleaf

• StifflersErSlayersBrother
    StifflersErSlayersBrother

If evolution then has a purpose for life, then at our current state of society, we are in control of that purpose. We are in control of what our environment is becoming and how it changes. If evolution is the adaption to our surroundings over the course of millions of years then we are in fact, in control of what we as a species become. Because we as a species are the most industrious, creative, and controling of all the other species on earth and that in effect changes our environment. So in return evolution dosn't have a purpose for life, we do...

• proplog2
    proplog2

If you really analyze that question you will see that it is nonsense.

Life and meaning are the same. Life is a type of meaning or purpose.

So you are caught in a tautology of what is the meaning of meaning. Or - what is the purpose of purpose.

You can ask a question that is more biological in its nature. What is life? Or what defines an organism? Or what does this particular organism do?

True, on that outlook, that lifelong question does seem dumb. However, thats not the point of the question. The point of the question is why do we live? And if we live for a reason, what is that reason? Its not just simple symantics of what is the meaning of meaning. Good point though proplog2.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think the meaning of life is 79.

Er, or was it 62?

I was too far out... and not waving but drowning - Stevie Smith

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I don't have the answer and I don't think any one else really does either,although there are some pretty interesting ideas out there.
    Sometimes, I wonder why we get so cought up in looking for the pourpose and meaning of life?I mean, why can't we just accept life as the wonderful gift that it is no matter how it came to be?
    Wouldn't it be nice just relax,accept life,live it well,and then If there's something else after this life we could consider it a bonus?
    I go round and round with the questions you ask as I'm sure many others do to and the questions I asked above is where I end up.
    Ranchette

Most people in my opinion are impatiant though Ranch, including myself. Thats one of the reason being a JW is so hard. Endlessly waiting for the end to come :P. Well, like the rest of the impatiant society, we all want to know what the meaning of existance is right now! hehe cudos to you Ranch for your patients.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Stiff,
    Your right,our training as JW's makes us dissatisfied with this life.In fact I think all religions do this.It's a hard habit to break.I look at this think of it as such a waste now.For me personally I've probabably wished away at least a third of my life not fully appreciating this one!I'm trying to change my thinking now.
    Ranchette

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

a monty python classic. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit