What is the real meaning of life?

by Nicolas 30 Replies latest jw friends

• h2o
    h2o

youv'e got it right,there is no meaning,we don't exist,then we exist,then we cease to exist,you only know the middle bit so just enjoy it while it lasts!!!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ballistic,

It's 42.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• patio34
    patio34

I think this question plays right into the hands of the religionists. Who says there HAS to be an express meaning to life other than one's personal meaning? The JWs, that's who. In order to keep their membership.

There's plenty of meaning to life as has been brought out on this thread. I for one have found much more purpose since not being a WT salesman is gone. I enjoy my life much more now. Concentrate on being a good citizen, worker, grandmother, and person. I try to brighten others' lives WITH NO ULTERIOR MOTIVE such as how can I witness to this person. I just enjoy other people. They are no longer 'wicked worldly people' in line for destruction. Etc. You know how the reasoning goes.

Pat

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

What an interesting thread.

My ex-husband is a physicist and staunch evolutionist. He has stated that we, as humanoids, are merely DNA's method of replicating itself. We had many interesting conversations about this one!

I think the meaning of life is being able to love.

ps: ballistic: isn't it 3.14159?

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• joelbear
    joelbear

Well, my theories of lifeism try to answer this question. I believe we are the meaning of life, us and what we bring to the universe in terms of creation and experience.

www.joelbear.com/lifeism.htm

hugs

Joel

• julien
    julien

while 42 is a good answer I believe some would consider 137 to be a better one.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Englishman,

Isn't 42 the answer to the QUESTION of life?
    The earth was destroyed before the question could be revealed.

I wish we could meet at the Restuarant at the End of the Universe to discuss this. My husband could use a Guiness right now.

• heff
    heff

What do you wake up for in the morning? Thats the meaning of life...Do you have children? They're the meaning of your life....What do you have to prove to the rest of society? Thats what your life should center around.....

Yes, you have around 80-100 years or so...make that count....When you're lying on your deathbed thinking about all you should've done..Thats where life is at.

(My humble opinion, of course)

• larc
    larc

Lauralisa,

You and your husband are both right. On the long term scientific level our only job is to pass on our genetic material to the next generation (ask your husband to read that he will like it). On the other hand you are right also. Our joy is to love. As Nat King Cole sang and later Gracie Slick sang from the Great Society, The Jefferson Airplane, and the Jefferson Starship in a song called Nature Boy. "There was a boy. A very strange enchanted boy. He wandered very far, very far, over land and sea. And then one day, one magic day he came my way. We talked of many things, fools and kings, and this he said to me. Strangest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return." Those are words to live by, and that is the meaning of life.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

I like this thread

if we define ~life~ as a breathing human.. how did we come breathe... where did that magic come from. I have my own opinions, but still hard to ignore that a body full of organs , blood and wrapped in skin is full of ~life~ on moment and not the next. so is life something this body enjoys or is there more to it.

I have heard many a discusion of life & what happens after the body is gone and so called ~life~ ceases. But if there was no life with out the magic of the insertion of breath , then where does the breath go .. and further can you define your life as always attached to this carrier of spirit called body.

YOur body must rest a number of hours a day. During this time what is your spirit doing, it needs no rest.. its a lot of time when you get right down to it.

I will share Caroline Myss's Deepok Chopora , and Marianne Williamsons opinion . We are here simply to learn. To learn lessons about managing this thing called spirit. It existed before the body did and will when the body is gone.

When we consider looking outside the physical body to live , we are focusing on the higger part of who we can be. There is less pain there, few sorrowful outcrys, and yes death is not an apparent reality.

Oh my the former thig has passed away!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit