JWs are very much unlike early christians!

by greendawn 13 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you think the JWs are really modelled on the early church as they like to claim?

I don't think they come close to it in terms of doctrine, authority structure, or mindset. Eg they know nothing about charity towards their own or fellow humans in general, they have a very centralised power structure, they kick against any advice given to the FDS, they never celebrate the eucharist, they are jehovah rather than Christ centred. And they have an extremist shunning policy.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Let's put it this way, GD, if Jesus was to walk into a KH today, he would soon be shunned and disfellowshipped for his views.

'Nuff said.

Jeff

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

true. they are more like pharisees, i know i know.

so are you protestant greendawn? do you feel your version is closer to catholicism? the early church? are you a trinitarian? if so, then are you and the JWs worshiping the same god with different names?

ts

• Forscher
    Forscher
    Let's put it this way, GD, if Jesus was to walk into a KH today, he would soon be shunned and disfellowshipped for his views. 'Nuff said.

I agree Jeff! Forscher

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I agree that the Witnesses are very differant fromt what the first century christians whould have been, at the same time i think that MOST EVER CHRISITAN RELIGION TODAY has major differances with what the early congregations where.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Yes, but the JWs are probably some of the rare ones who claim to do things exactly like the early christian did. They seem to take a pride from comparing themselves to them. Trying to justify all those meetings, service and authority of "elders".

• greendawn
    greendawn

Hi Tetra, I am not protestant but I feel closer to catholicism because my mother is catholic. It's not just a doctrinal thing as the JWs like to present it there is more to religion than just that eg what is the culture and mindset in a certain church, the JWs as a people are totalitarian, neurotic (not relaxed or easy going), heartless, lack culture and intellectual challenge, historical depth and experience. A very poor and counter creative environment.

All there is really is a very dry attitude of preach the "truth" and obey laws mechanically. Catholicsm doesn't have an innocent past, certainly, but at least now that is history. Also much of what the dubs have to say about christian religions is cheap propaganda.

As for what they present as God it is a grossly distorted image of the real divine person, too savage, vindictive and demanding. Even more significantly christianity is more about Jesus rather than jehovah and Christians refuse to think of jehovah as their god. Their head is Christ not jehovah.

AK if Jesus knocked on the WTS door he would certainly have the door slammed in his face. Even their founder Russell would get thrown out LOL.

Drew you are right even all serious religions do deviate from apostolic thinking and behaviour, you just need to find who you fit better with or go solo.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I believe that JW's are definitely like the early christians. If you read some of the early Church Fathers you see the same pettiness.

Tertulian said women should dress modestly because "eve" was responsible for bringing sin into the world and tempting Adam.

Women were dirt in the early Christian Congregation.

They provided welfare only to widows who were on the special "list".

The apostles were fighting over positions while Jesus was still on the earth. Imagine what things were like after it became clear Jesus wasn't coming quickly.

Unfortunately.... in many ways JW's are like the early Christians.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've never been a dub, but I was recently out to dinner with my JW friend and their brother. They calculatingly shifted the conversation to religion (which they always do) ... out of the blue the brother asks me "Do you believe there are false religions" (they both know I go to church and I knew where he was going). I replied "yeah, I think there are many false religions around. Look at the extreme muslims that blow themselves up, yet say they are a religion of peace". The brother then asks "how about Christian religions - do you think most Christain religions are false in that they are unlike the first-century Christians". I then said, "Well, Christianity itself has evolved, look at your religion, a lot of people would say that it's a false Christian religion since they are so far from what went on in the first century." Stunned silence for a split second as the siblings looked at each other...then the babbling began.... round and round we went, an hour later nothing was resolved, yet they were still on the defensive. That was three weeks ago. They haven't contacted me since....I guess I'm bad association.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Proplog you are right there were negative things in the early church, a bishop of Carthage around 250 AD excommunicated all young women not because of sexual misdeeds but because he just didn't like the way they dressed and the make up they used. He later relented and reinstated them but it shows the point, yes there were arrogant bishops but that was after the apostolic age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit