JWs are very much unlike early christians!

by greendawn 13 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

When I called that 1-800-WHY-1914 telephone number, they sent me a packet of things and one of them was a pamphlet that addressed this exact topic (stuff about early Christians, how the early Church was organized, and how different it was from how JWs are organized). It was very well written and gave a lot of specifics. I don't remember the name of it right now or who wrote (Thomas Cabeen or something like that?)... I could look when I get home. It was a good little booklet. You could probably call them and leave a message and ask for it.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Not so! Jehovah lovingly provided a Governing Body in Jerusalem.

Paul was the first District Overseer.

Peter was the first Pope. (hmm...or was it president?)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I believe the rank & file JWs really do believe they are closer than other religions to how the early christians worshipped. The most basic research would reveal how mistaken they are in that view, but their only research material is watchtower publications...so some will never know any better - so sad.

Never mind early Christians, even the JWs were still worshipping Jesus Christ in 1945. They all used to partake of the bread and wine until the 1930s, you know - like the early Christians did.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    It's not just a doctrinal thing as the JWs like to present it there is more to religion than just that eg what is the culture and mindset in a certain church, the JWs as a people are totalitarian, neurotic (not relaxed or easy going), heartless, lack culture and intellectual challenge, historical depth and experience. A very poor and counter creative environment.

All there is really is a very dry attitude of preach the "truth" and obey laws mechanically. Catholicsm doesn't have an innocent past, certainly, but at least now that is history. Also much of what the dubs have to say about christian religions is cheap propaganda.

thanks greendawn, i agree.

ts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit