When did you realize that you were part of a cult?

by JH 48 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

As a JW, I never thought that I was in a cult. I thought that other religions were a cult, but not us.

What made you realize that the JW's is a cult?

• Scully
    Scully

When I was 15. After some browbeating persuasion from my parents, I changed my mind. It took me until I was in my 30s to figure it out again, especially after the "We Are Not a Cult" issue of the Awake. LOL

• rebel8
    rebel8

When we were studying the Revelation book at the book study and got to the part abt birds eating carcasses, the dubs were so thrilled. They couldn't stop talking abt how happy they'd be to help clean up the bodies and to watch animals eat the bodies of all the non-dubs. This happened right around the time some bad interpersonal conflicts were going on btwn me and these same ppl, so it just showed me they are really disturbed.

• KW13
    KW13

When you see how Witnesses are cut off from all sorts of things, family, friends and the rest of the world. Then content they view is controlled...Elders can be harsh, they have been with me over trivial things.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Whenever an organization has to say "We're not a cult!", then you know it's a cult.

• gumby
    gumby

I knew when my desire to start sacraficing the neighborhood cats to the god "ALIBABBA" that I'd been tricked! Sick cultish bastards!

Actually it was during and after I read COC. I collapsed on the floor and cried like a baby.......seriously.

Gumby

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

When I was a jw, we didn't even want to be called a sect or a religion. I was ouf for a couple of years before it really sank in that I had been in a cult. My best friend, who was out for at least 10 years before me still has difficulty admitting that it's a cult.

Coffee

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

pretty much yesterday I TRULY realized it's a cult. long story......I'll explain later.

like black coffee said, it takes awhile sometimes to actually getting to the point of admitting it and realizing it.

• gumby
    gumby
    pretty much yesterday I TRULY realized it's a cult. long story......I'll explain later.

Good for you girl! It's a tough one to go through especially if you were raised a witness and was a loyal one at that. It's a tough road out for many......but worth the travel.

Gumby

• luna2
    luna2

I hadn't gone to a meeting in over four years but it wasn't until about April/May of this year, when I joined JWD and then read COC, that I realized that I'd been in a cult. I was a total wreck for several weeks after that and often felt like this board was my only port in the storm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit