do you think the end is near?

by drew sagan 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I will say that the "evidence" for a drastic change in mankinds history (end of the world, the great day of God the Almighty, what ever you want to call it) seems likely when doing a survey of where mankind is a the current point in time. Nuclear weapons, wars, technology, globalization, and ecological destruction all seem to point towards a place that mankind has never been before. Mankind is unquestionably in a position differant from any point in human history. The technology of this world is so far superior of anything that has been done before, and most of it has been invented in the last 100 years!
    BUT REMEMBER THIS IMPORTANT POINT:
    We have no idea where mankind is headed. As much as we want to speculate about the future, we really can't know anything about it. Personally I feel that mankind has taken it's final step into its final change before something big happens, but how long with the current things last? Even if we want to use WWI and 1914 as a starting point (just as an example, I'm not pushing JWism here!) we are shortly coming up on 100 years from then! Think about this, what's the differance in your mind between mankinds history between 1283 C.E and 1552 C.E.? Not much at all, many of us wouldn't even give this time peroid an examination (i just made up the numbers just so you know). Anyway, that was a time peroid of over 269 years. Think of all the people that lived and died during that time, all of the things that happened. Much more than we could ever record in books or on computers, but that peroid of time has come and gone, very quickly.
    It just makes me think about how so many people think they are going to be the ones that expierance something beyond the human expierance. The truth of the matter is though that we don't know if anything is going to happen in 2006 or 2275. 2275 seems so far away, but is it? Not really.
    We really don't know how long mankind will continue to go on. As I said, I feel that mankind has taken a step in the 20th century that has never been taken before, and it may be the beginning of something that is bigger than anybody has ever seen. But even if it is, how can we be the judge of how long it will last? We just don't know.

I know that was long, sorry. What do you guys think?

• daystar
    daystar
    I feel that mankind has taken a step in the 20th century that has never been taken before, and it may be the beginning of something that is bigger than anybody has ever seen. But even if it is, how can we be the judge of how long it will last? We just don't know.

I know what you're saying. The sorts of feelings you're talking about are not unknown to me. But I think we must change our perspective on things like this to gain a better understanding.

Nothing you've said above is unique to those of us living now. (Except for the reference to the 20th century of course.)

You mention a step we've taken in this century. To what step do you refer?

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

You mention a step we've taken in this century. To what step do you refer?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nuclear weapons.

• mdb
    mdb

We're closer to the end than we were yesterday or 1000 years ago. No one knows of the time except the Father and we've been told we should live each day as if it was our last. Maybe tomorrow will be the end for you. I was at a funeral on the weekend and a guy that I know and saw there was killed in a head-on collision on his way home. It was right in front of our home and I stood there while they took him away. Do you think he thought that day was going to be his last (he was only 22 years of age)? I don't think today will be my last, but maybe it will. Quit worrying about when the end will come. Back when the apostles were still on earth, they said to keep watch because the end was near and told the people to be ready because they don't know the day or hour the Lord will return. Keep oil in your lamp, live for Jesus and be ready at all times.

• lucifer
    lucifer

The end is very near, only 4 hours away in fact till the end...of my work shift

• joelbear
    joelbear

well i agree every day should be lived to the fullest extent possible. heck, that's what life is about.

no supernatural being exists that will magically intervene in the earth's events.

the two major things that are different now than in past times are nuclear weapons and the global economy.

nuclear war could of course alter the shape of the world very quickly.

the global economy is also going to shape the world. the amazing differences in the levels of personal income will be

evened out by global market forces. billions of new consumers will be created which will vastly change living conditions

for non-humans. more and more environmental resources will be needed to keep up with consumer demand. that will

change the world. the world won't end, but its evolution will not be pleasant for everyone or everything.

• Jake99
    Jake99

Drew,

The End Time is as you suspect, very near. All that stands between this world and the next is for the Messiah to get the right believer to listen to him, believe in him, investigate the facts presented and spread the word that he has come. For this time to be the one, the Messiah must have already done what the bibles said he would prior to unveiling himself.

• greendawn
    greendawn

As always the end may come tomorrow or after 1000 years, it is unknown and unknowable. The dubs after having lied about the end for 110 years they finally accepted this fact as all serious christian religions had always done.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I guess my point in the most basic form is that there is no doubt that mankind as we know it has found itself in a place it has never been before as regards to technology and population. Religions like the JW's play on this fact as "proof" that we are in the end times. I see how the 20th century is differant from all time periods before it, but who are we to say what the future will hold. Getting over excited about things we just don't know causes us not to se the bigger picture of things. At least that's how I feel about it.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Well, we are coming into the 7th day aren't we? remember the sabbath and keep it holy. Do you think Jesus would send someone who could convince everyone to repent and be spared? Or do you think He is not strong enough to accomplish that, or too mean and evil to try? I'll bet he loves a challenge, and loves us enough to do that very thing. Ninevah got a messenger/representive did they not? Relax....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit