What do your kids say about shunning? Let's get a list going

by AlmostAtheist 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

These are great so far, keep 'em coming!

Dave

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

My 13 years old brother is kind of caught in the middle of the shunning policy. My father is even reading him bits of WT that talk about wether they should talk to DF or DA (me) people. But since my father himself doesn't know if he should, it's even more confusing to my little brother, poor kid. And I like to talk to him once in a while, to show him that I'm still a great person and that what we share as brother and sister is one of the strongest bonds. I want him to see the nonsense. So far, I think he does...he don't go the the meetings a lot, so the only brain-washing he gets is my dad's guilt-tripping.

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

Hey Dave, good little study you've started here!

My 10 year old son has had some issues with God the last few years. Here's how it went at dinner tonight:

Me: "I was thinking.... what if God said you must never talk to me again, what would you do?"

Michael: Huh??? No way.

Me: No way what?

Michael: No way is God gonna say to do that. He'd never say not to talk to you.

Me: But what if he did?

Michael: I'd have to tell him no way. He wouldn't say that though.

Me: I was just wondering .....

Michael: God wouldn't tell me to not talk to you cause it would hurt your feelings and that's not right. Besides, you'd be upset and cry and God and me hate when that happens.........so what's for dessert?

I chose to skip correcting his grammar on this one.

willow

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

What a neat topic Dave! I don't have any kids to ask, so I'm just enjoying everyone else's.

Michael: God wouldn't tell me to not talk to you cause it would hurt your feelings and that's not right. Besides, you'd be upset and cry and God and me hate when that happens.........so what's for dessert?

Heehee! Seems pretty cut and dry to your kid willow. Not even worth discussing deeply. Can't help but giggle about that!

• forsharry
    forsharry

well, I don't have kids but I have a siamese cat. Just yesterday it got locked in the bathroom all day long while my husband I were at work. It was effectly shunned in a powder room with a toilet bowl for water and a small litter box to go in and no outside contact. The other cats couldn't see him because he had a door between them all. My siamese cat was effectively shunned.

When I came home from work, I heard the forlorn (air raid siren-esque) cries of my siamese cat, begging for release, for someone to come and rescue him from his loneliness...well I opened the door and out trotted a very upset meezer, and my powder room was left in shambles. He tore up every single roll of toilet paper, destroyed the trash can and strewn plastic and such everywhere...he had gotten under the sink and pulled out all of my hair supply products and shredded anything that was left to be shredded.

This is what my cat thinks of shunning. Oh, by the way, it took me an hour to clean up a room that's no bigger than a closet.

• Forscher
    Forscher

My youngest son is a bit older than the ones mentioned. He doesn't think much of it either. He also knows I didn't treat the DF/DA'd like most do, even after the hardening of attitude mandated in 1981. It just seemed a little too rude to me to act as if they didn't exist. Even if I didn't say anything, I usually nodded an acknowledgment that I'd seen them. I know from some who were later reinstated that they appreciated that little bit of humanity on my part. But then, I knew what it was like to be on the recieving end of that kind of behavior, despite never having been offically DF'd.
    Forscher

• nilfun
    nilfun

Q: What if we went to a church that told you:

"God says you shouldn't talk to your Mom anymore."

child 2:

That's not nice. I wouldn't believe them and I wouldn't do it because I love you.

child 1:

That doesn't sound very good. I would quit that church and keep talking to you because you're my mom.
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

More good ones, thanks everyone! Even a cat knows shunning is an idiotic practice! Perhaps we should drop by the governing body's bathrooms and tear up their toilet paper?

Anybody else? The more the merrier!

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit