My Dad's story

by coffee_black 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• bebu
    bebu

Coffee, What a truly meaningful tribute you gave. You've made me miss him and mourn for him. What a real treasure he was!! I think he knows well (even right now) how things are for you, and he is proud! I am sure he'd have caught on, like many elder people have, if he'd have lived to see the internet and this website in particular.

He was a good and faithful servant.

bebu

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

What a beautiful tribute. Your father's love was a true gift. Thank you for sharing.

AJ

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

What an absolutely beautiful gift to share with all of us...thanks so much...

sammieswife

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

What a great dad.... no doubt that if the internet would have been available while he was still here it would have made a big difference in his life. Thanks for sharing a touching story.

D.E.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Thank you for the story Debbie.

I hope my kids feel like that about me when I die!

I too lost my parents when they were in their 60's. My Mom went first and my Dad went 9 months later..

After I lost my hubby (He was 63) I understood just what my parents had gone through. They were NOT JW's..but my hubby was always helping his parents (JW's) and never had the time or wants to help mine.

I loved my parents and did what I could to help them. I was glad my Mom went first as I got to spend some alone time with my Dad and found out so much I didn't know about my parents. I was so sad they didn't have more healthy time together.I still have tears that well up thinking about them..Like you..they died in 1987 and 1988 and I still think about them.

I don't think that we ever get over the pain of losing a loved one. No matter how long ago it was.

I think about how sick my Mom was and they didn't even tell me for a long time. My Dad had a bad hip and heart yet he pushed himself to stay by her side 24 hours a day. He wouldn't leave the hospital and ended up with Pnemonia. After Mom passed away I had to admit him to the hospital for pnemonia.He got better but I know his heart was broken. He died 9 months later...

Losing a loved one is just about the worst pain I can imagine. Especially if they feel like they will NEVER see that person again.

Snoozy Q.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

That was so beautiful and so sad. Thank for sharing a very special person with us...and I don't just mean your dad

~Merry

• jonsey
    jonsey

Debbie,
    My heart was heavy reading about your dad's life...

Mike

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Debbie -

I am at a loss for words..... thank you for sharing that story with us.

I think that your comments about the 'friends' caring so well for your parents struck home in some ways - I really think the organization has taken a massive turn away from familial love that once was there in the smaller congregations. Legalism kills love, and I truly remember the days when it was like a family. I truly doubt I would have ever seen thru the smoke of fantasy without that failing love - your dad and mom truly had a family in the congregation in those days - and it sounds they deserved that kind of love.

Thanx again -

Jeff

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Debbie, thanks for sharing. You're dad was an accomplished man, even though he was a JW. That's quite a testimony to him, and a lesson he passed on.

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks for sharing the story of your life with your Dad. I see you are as proud of him as he is of you, and I'm sure he is reading this tribute to him, too. I'm glad you have all these fine memories of him.

Kind of reminds me of my Dad, a little. He and his Dad were contractors, along with his brothers.

They built many of the houses (3 and 4 family units) in our town many years ago. So, their legacy is still here, as is your Dad's.

I miss my Dad very much, too, Debbie. He died at age 83, in 1989.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit