Which massacres did Jehovah sanction?

by Spectrum 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

That's a pretty lengthy post, but for all the verbiage nowhere in there could I find a single compelling reason for a society to create a law that forces women to carry children to term. This talk of bringing pregnant women in front of panels of legal and ethical experts is nothing but bullshit. Who cares what experts in which fields have to say about anything? A woman ought to be permitted to do as she pleases with her own body whatever some expert philosopher on some politically charged board has to say about the matter. Who cares if fetuses have legal and ethical rights? The legal and ethical rights of the woman trump whatever rights the fetus allegedly has.

Bottom line: what a woman does with her own body is her business and nobody else's.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hellrider

I was under the impression that the discussion was over:

Oh, but you keep on saying things that make my fingers itch... "he thinks what??!!"

And you are not excluded from having an opinion because you are a man. You are not excluded from having an opinion; you misrepresent the situation. Have your opinion and enjoy it.

You are excluded from the right to force a woman to give birth.

You refuse to deal with the subject in scientific or medical terms, yet expect your opinion to be considered equal to one based on sound secular argument that cite facts. As your opinion is not based on scientific or mdecial facts, it is of no more validity in a court of law than a religious opinion. Get over this will you? Your claims that a fetus at any point is of equal value to a born human is based on the same level of proof as a Roman Catholic insisting abortion (or even contraception) is wrong because 'every sperm is sacred'.

I`ll be sure to inform her first that I am against abortion, and that that is the reason why my pockets are full of condoms.

I have one daughter and have helped a girlfriend through an abortion brought about by torn condoms. What is in your pocket is irrelevent as all contraceptive methods fail at some point. No matter what is on your pockets, if they fail, you will still expect a woman to carry your seed even if this is against her will. Would you make this clear? As we're so 'up' on ethics, you should.

even though you try to hide this fact behind medical considerations

BUT THEY ARE THE CONSIDERATIONS!!! You are hiding from the medical considerations as you refuse to accept them!

Next bit gets funny; I say;

You still going to insist emotions are important in making law? Got any quotes by law makers?

You say;

Now, I found no quotes references as to establish for you (from the mouths of a lawyer or something like that) whether this is the case or not, simply because everybody knows it is,

Hellrider, you are no being what is know as 'intellectually dishonest'.

You totally failed to find any reference backing your claim; in your last post, the word emotion (or variations of it) were only used by YOU, not by the parties you quoted. Man, you are a sore loser... give it up...

Well, I don`t really care what you do or what you don`t, but if you were interested in finding out the truth on an issue,especially an issue on which you have some weird, unclear ideas, you would make an effort. You could at least Google “Law and Ethics”.

No, YOUR argument, YOU do the work... oh, but you can't, as the evidence I called for to back your argument isn't there. If you HAD bothered to cite evidence I may well have done research as required by the evidence you provided. But as you never bothered to do so yourself (as the weakness of your argument shows, in truth), it's hysterical you see this as my responsibility.

Let's cut your argument back to the bone, again; you said;

I refuse to discuss this on medical and scientific terms.

You also say people in the past were wrong "about everything because they lived at a time when they didn`t [know] anything about... anything".

Yet you refuse to discuss the subject from the point-of-view given by knowledge.

If people who didn't know anything about anything were wrong, people who refuse to know anything about anything are also wrong.

What is it about fetuses that disqualifies them from having human value?

Is it because they can`t breathe or eat on their own? Well, in that case, everyone who are connected to a life-support machine (but are not braindead) have no human value.

Misrepresentation of an argument is called a "strawman" argument. I have no doubt (as you did when I introduced you to the term "circular argument") you will throw it back at me without ever considering what it means as regards to the validity of your views.

I have NEVER said that people with meaningful brain activity but connected to life support are 'without human value'. But you trying to distort the discussion in an emotive way by distorting what I have actually said is not suprising as you admit you argument is an emotional one not based on science or medicine.

I could remind you that I was the first to point out the difficulty in this, when I have argued that abortions sometimes are necessary, such as in situations of rape, incest and illness in the fetus (or woman). And the point I made, a point which you of course have ignored, was that: “Just because we may be forced to violate ethical boundaries, this doesn`t mean that we should remove the ethical boundaries alltogether”.

All you do, by breaking your own insistence on abortion being wrong is a woman is sexually violated in some way, is further demonstrate the emotional nature of your argument. You care for the fetus unless your emotions are (rightfully, but not in a wat that makes your argument valid) drawn to the victim of a crime; then the fetus hasn't got a chance, even though it has done no more wrong than a fetus bought about under normal circumstances. This inconsistency is why law should not not based on emotions.

Morals, yes. Ethics, yes. But they can be constrained by logic, whereas emotions are not constrained by logic - as your argument demonstrates.

She hears a german voice in the distant, yelling out a military command, and so, in desperation, she strangles the infant.

Horrible. She crossed a very definnite ethical boundary, but she did it to serve a greater purpose, an equally (??) ethical purpose: To save the lives of a 20 children and several adults.

This doesn`t mean that infanticide should be allowed indiscriminately, does it?

And yes, I know, my “running assumption”, that fetuses are humans, is present in this analogy,

Yes, and you fail to understand (as I point out above) that a circular argument is by definiton invalid. You can repeat it until the end of time, but it is like saying;

We know that as radiocarbon dates would have been affected by the presence of the cloud canopy before the Flood, that the dates over 5,000 years given to some civilisations, buildings and trees must be in error, thus we can see the Flood actually happened.

but on the other hand, the “running assumption” that fetuses are not humans, or shouldn`t be considered as something with human value, is present in everything you write, without it being proven, neither medically, scientifically and especially not ethically, that they are not.

Actually, I have argued quite comprehensively why brain development is the key factor in discussing the rights or wrongs of abortion, and produced evidence to back these claims. You have not proven this evidnece is wrong, You have declared it isn't important.

Just as religious people opposed to abortion typically don't care about the scientific and medical knowledge that lead to the legal, secular view of abortion, you reject the scientific and medical knowledge as it is not important to you.

It boils down to your opinion, without facts, that you would have imposed on others. You might claim it is because the any fetus = a born baby, but that is a claim you are still to demonstrate. Saying that a fetus of 16 weeks (see the posted information about brain development) is equal to a born human is NOT supported by the facts. Saying a fetus of 12 weeks is equal to a born human is not supported by the facts. These, given the brain development at such points, is an 'extraordinary claim' and you have no evidence, let alone the extraordinary evidence you would need to prove your claim.

It's like people expecting you to believe in god because they do. It's good enough evidence for them maybe, but to take it on someone's say-so is not good enough for most people.

We can never agree because of this. I still support your right to your opinion, which is something your opinion unavoidably denies.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Abaddon:

Ok, we`re getting nowhere on this. If you read my post, you would see that:

As we're so 'up' on ethics, you should.
    even though you try to hide this fact behind medical considerations

BUT THEY ARE THE CONSIDERATIONS!!! You are hiding from the medical considerations as you refuse to accept them!

...I did respond to the medical considerations. Furthermore, unlike you, I did not only respond to the medical considerations, I also put them in an ethical perspective, as I wrote:

When I said “I couldn`t care less if fetuses have the neurological tissue of a potty plant until week 35, because this is not the point”, I said that to prove the point I have been stressing all along: That this issue is a highly ethical issue! Yes, medical considerations are of course part of this issue, but that doesn`t mean that this issue is, was and always will first and foremost an ethical issue. But ok, let me respond to your medical arguments, and the validity of these arguments: You claim that at 16 weeks, a fetus only has “a few grams of neural tissue”. How many grams? I forget if you mentioned that, but...3? 4? Anyway, I tried to clarify this by mentioning that the fetus, at this stage, weighs about 100 gram. Well, I weigh 100 kilos. My brain weighs..what? 3kgs? 4 kgs? .See...

You claim that all the basic development of the featus (development of neural tissue, brains etc) is basically finnished at 20 weeks into the pregnancy, and that after week 20, the primary activity of the fetus is to grow. Still, you insist that it is ethically responsible to perform abortions up until week 16 (or week 20 ??), but not in the weeks 20-40. And....???? Why? If nothing neurolgically important happens after week 20 (just growth), then there is no logical reason why abortions shouldn`t happen between week 20 and 40, if there is no difference of significance in the neurological status of the fetus in week 19, and in week 38. Does something “magical” happen between week 16 and 20, is that what you are saying? The point here is: What is it about fetuses that disqualify them from being counted as humans, or living creatures with human value? You tried with the “potential”-argument, but I showed you that that argument works much better for me than for you. The fetus has a tremedous potential for life, intelligence and (in the future) a productive life. You claim that the neurological development is just about done in week 20. Still, you persist in claiming that fetuses are virtually “braindead”, and that abortion therefore should be allowed up until week 16! (or was it 20?) – but not after this (even though there is very little neurological difference between a fetus in week 20 and a fetus in week 38!!). Your claim that they are braindead, is probably an argument to hide the fact that we simply don`t know whether or not the fetus feels any discomfort when it is hacked up and pulled out, in week 16. (Did I make you feel at unease with that statement? Angry? If so, try to forget your anger with me for a second, and try to analyze the feeling instead. Why do you think you felt at unease, or got angry? Think.). What is it about fetuses that disqualifies them from having human value? - Is it because they can`t breathe or eat on their own? Well, in that case, everyone who are connected to a life-support machine (but are not braindead) have no human value. - Is it because they can`t take care of themselves? In that case, people on life-support machines, children under the age of...7? – and old people in beds at nursing homes have no human value.

Then you insist on:

You've yet again indulged in circular argumentation, I ask 'what's the difference between forcing a woman to give birth and forcing her to get pregnant and you tell me the word used to describe non-consensual sex; thank you, I know. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Answer the question. In terms of violation of bodily rights and freewill, what is the difference?

But I did answer that question:

I`ll give you this: I agree with your stand on this issue, to a certain degree. Yes, I can easily see that it is ethically questionable to force a woman to go pregnagnt for nine months and to have a baby that she doesn`t want to have. Not only can I see this, but I am constantly evaluating this as one (of, in my view) many ethical considerations. You are under the impression that there is only one ethical consideration on this issue, the womans rights. I am perfectly aware that there are more than one wthical consideration on this. However, the point here is that different ethical principles collide! This what it`s all about! And this is what is both extremely difficult, but also very fascinating about ethics. You are touching this subject with your:

If you are unable to see that that is an answer to your question, then that`s your problem, not mine.

I could remind you that I was the first to point out the difficulty in this, when I have argued that abortions sometimes are necessary, such as in situations of rape, incest and illness in the fetus (or woman). And the point I made, a point which you of course have ignored, was that: “Just because we may be forced to violate ethical boundaries, this doesn`t mean that we should remove the ethical boundaries alltogether”.

All you do, by breaking your own insistence on abortion being wrong is a woman is sexually violated in some way, is further demonstrate the emotional nature of your argument. You care for the fetus unless your emotions are (rightfully, but not in a wat that makes your argument valid) drawn to the victim of a crime; then the fetus hasn't got a chance, even though it has done no more wrong than a fetus bought about under normal circumstances. This inconsistency is why law should not not based on emotions.

The fact that you are unable to understand that just because we allow ethical boundaries to be broken once in a while, when these ethical boundaries are outweighed by other, more important ethical considerations, does not mean that the boundaries should be moved or removed alltogether. You have refused to respond to this argument, instead you harping on this message that basically says that "this shows that there is inconsistency in your thinking and that abortion should be perfectly legal" etc. I could repeat this over and over (because I know I`m right on the principle here, that exceptions to ethical rules based on other ethical considerations in the particular situation does not mean that the boundaries are meaningless or should be moved, as a rule) - but you are unable to even grasp that, so it is futile. We`ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

We can never agree because of this. I still support your right to your opinion, which is something your opinion unavoidably denies.

I respect your opinion. But that doesn`t mean that I am "pro-choice", no.

Just for the record (forget the above discussion): I am right about law usually being based on ethical considerations. Abortions is definitely one of the areas of law in which ethical considerations have been the fundamental part of the lawmaking ever since this was first legislated. I know that I failed in showing any good quotes on the connection between law and ethics, and the internet was a bit confusing on this, because, of course, law-people (those engaged in practical law on a daily basis) aren`t so interested in the principles of law anymore, but of its practical application (so all I could find on this was ethics and (some area of law), such as "Public health law and ethics", "ethics of male circumcision", etc, things that didn`t go the core of the principle of what we are discussing). But for future discussions on this, you should update yourself on the almost inseparable nature of law and ethics (I think you understood this, at least from what I wrote before the quotes).

Just one more thing: We did hijack a thread here. I would be more interested in seeing other peoples opinion on this. Perhaps we should move all the posts (on this) over to a new thread, and let people judge on this issue? We have gotten about as far as we can get on this, but others might be interested?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hellrider

I did respond to the medical considerations. Furthermore, unlike you, I did not only respond to the medical considerations, I also put them in an ethical perspective

The "ethical perspective" you present is only present because you ignore the medical perspective, ignoring is not responding, mentioning something in passing and then going straight back to your original and unproven argument is not responding;

Yes, medical considerations are of course part of this issue, but that doesn`t mean that this issue is, was and always will first and foremost an ethical issue.

It's your circular argument of equivalence again, that any fetus = born human, constantly repeated, never proven.

Without this being proven there is not an ethical perspective.

It's like someone saying 'animals are equal to humans, therefore the treatment of animals must meet the same standards of ethics as the treatment of humans', and then expecting all farm animals to be liberated. They have never proven animals are equal to humans, but that doesn't stop them expecting their opinions to be acted on as if they had proven something.

You say;

You claim that all the basic development of the featus (development of neural tissue, brains etc) is basically finnished at 20 weeks into the pregnancy, and that after week 20, the primary activity of the fetus is to grow. Still, you insist that it is ethically responsible to perform abortions up until week 16 (or week 20 ??), but not in the weeks 20-40. And....???? Why? If nothing neurolgically important happens after week 20 (just growth), then there is no logical reason why abortions shouldn`t happen between week 20 and 40, if there is no difference of significance in the neurological status of the fetus in week 19, and in week 38. Does something “magical” happen between week 16 and 20, is that what you are saying? ;

My argument is that as neural compexity is not sufficient to give any real equivalence to a new born in early-term pregnancies, to such an extent that major 'wiring' in the brains that allows pain to be perceived and phisiologically responded to does not take place until just after week 20, around week 20 is a good limit for social abortions.

To say what you said you either did not understand what I said or cited, or did not have the common courtesy to read what I wrote or cited. I don't think you're deliberately distorting what I said or I wouldn't bother replying to you again.

You say you answer the question "In terms of violation of bodily rights and freewill, what is the difference [between forced pregnacy and rape]?" You do no such thing, you just repeat your curcular argument;

However, the point here is that different ethical principles collide !

You're assuming different ethical principles collide based upon your assumption of equivalence, which as we know is merely a repeated claim, not a proven fact.

I am right about law usually being based on ethical considerations.
    you should update yourself on the almost inseparable nature of law and ethics (I think you understood this, at least from what I wrote before the quotes).

I've never said ethics weren't involved in the making of law; please stop using strawman arguments.

You did however fail miserably to prove the role of emotions in law, as I thought you would; linguistically, are ethics and emotion synonyms in Norwegian? They aren't in English. Maybe that explains the 'misunderstanding'.

Like I said, ethics is constrained by logic. Emotions aren't. And your insistance of the involvement of ethics in the above example is only possible due to your insistance it is, not because of a rational demonstration of equivalence between a 12 week-old fetus and a new born.

It really is simple;

• If under law there was proof an early-term fetus was equivalent to a new born, then killing such a fetus would be a crime for the same reasons as killing is normally a crime. Ethics would apply. There is no such proof, ethical considerations do not apply to a early-term fetus as they do to a new born..
    • If under law there was proof a cow was equivalent to a human being, then killing a cow would be a crime for the same reasons as killing is normally a crime. Ethics would apply. There is no such proof, ethical considerations do not apply to a cow as they do to a human.
    • If under law there was proof an early-term fetus could suffer, then making such a fetus suffer would be a crime for the same reasons as deliberately causing suffering is normally a crime. Ethics would apply. There is no such proof, ethical considerations do not apply to a early-term fetus as they do to a new born..
    • If under law there was proof that cows can suffer, then making cows suffer would be a crime for the same reasons as deliberately causing suffering is normally a crime. Ethics would apply. There is such proof, ethical considerations do apply to a cow as they do to a human.in this respect, and causing unneccesary suffering to a cow is against the law.

You create an ethical quagmire where there is none (as is recognised by the law in most Western countries) purely on the basis of your emotions about the issue.

At the same time you would gladly impose your will on others... something that is recognised as being AGAINST the law in most Western countries? Where does ethics come into that?

As for a further thread, well, you can start threads about whatever subject you like. I don't know if I'd find further discussion of any interest if it involved further repetition or a protagonist who will say things like "there is no logical reason why abortions shouldn`t happen between week 20 and 40" when, if they'd been following the discussion carefully, they'd of realised that this is a total misrepresetation of what has been said and ignores citions of hard scientific data in the thread.

Harsh but fair, sad but true.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Abaddon:

Hellrider
    I did respond to the medical considerations. Furthermore, unlike you, I did not only respond to the medical considerations, I also put them in an ethical perspective

The "ethical perspective" you present is only present because you ignore the medical perspective, ignoring is not responding, mentioning something in passing and then going straight back to your original and unproven argument is not responding;

Yes, medical considerations are of course part of this issue, but that doesn`t mean that this issue is, was and always will first and foremost an ethical issue.

It's your circular argument of equivalence again, that any fetus = born human, constantly repeated, never proven.

You are the one who is "pro-choice". Before we even know that there is a choice, it should be proven that the fetus has no ethical rights. And you talk about my circular argument? Your running presumptions and circular arguments go like this: There is no such thing as ethics, or at least they are not relevant to this issue (yes, I`ll come to this in a minute). There is only medical considerations, and these are completely devoid of ethics. Still, it is (ethically, although you would forever refuse to use that word) the womans rights (still, ethics are the basis of the law, although you have refused to acknowledge this thruout this entire thread) to have an abortion. The fetus has no ethical value, and cannot be considered a "thing" that has human value. So, on this basis you establish all your arguments and all your reasonings, without even considering the fact that along with the medical considerations used to determine the status of the fetus, there are allready ethical considerations present. There is an ethical consideration (and unanswered ethical questions) that need to be answered, and this is the reasong for the medical investigation. Ethics are present, allready from the very beginning! It is disturbing to me that you fail to realize this.

I've never said ethics weren't involved in the making of law: please stop using strawman arguments.

You did however fail miserably to prove the role of emotions in law, as I thought you would; linguistically, are ethics and emotion synonyms in Norwegian? They aren't in English. Maybe that explains the 'misunderstanding'.

Complete, utter BS! So you are now trying to rewrite the history of this thread? The fact is, this is probably even the first time the word "ethics" has even occured in your posts! Whenever I have referred to ETHICS (this is the word I have consistenly been using thruout the entire thread), you responded with crap like this:

I'll not ring round law schools to prove the law is normally based on emotion; why should I defend YOUR argument, such as it is? So far, all you've done is give your opinion, whilst I have cited facts that lie behind the law as it is, including documents prepared for Members of Parliament to inform them of facts they might have to know when considering the current law. If you claim law is based on individual's emotions (and exceptions do not prove rules), then it will be easy for you to prove this. But given the fact I've already shown facts are considered to lead (read the document I cited and tell me where it mentions emotions) the debate, I don't think you have much chance.

And YOU dare accuse ME of using strawman arguments? I have never made the claim that the law is based on emotions! I have consistently made the claim that they are based on ethical considerations! Not emotions! Ethical considerations! You are the one that has confused this by continously referring to all my points about ethical considerations as "emotions" (as in the post I cited above!). Any person who bothers to scroll back and read the entire thread will see this! The fact here is that you have researched this issue a little bit further, and have now realized that you were very wrong when you dismissed all my insisting on the fact that ethics are the basis off all lawmaking (usually, in this manner: And ethical question needs answering, because there might be need to adjust the law. In the case we are discussing right now, this would mean to perform a medical investigation on the basis of the new ethical considerations, and then use the ethical conclusion based on the medical investigation as basis for the following adjustments of the Law) - so you are now trying another tactic, claiming that I have said that emotions make the basis for the Law. Which is as far from the truth as you can get, I have continously referred to ETHICS, NOT EMOTIONS!

You are the most dishonest debattant I have ever had an internet-discussion with! In my opinion, this discussion is now over.

Harsh but fair, sad but true.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hellrider

This is hysterical man,

Prehaps it will come as a surprise to you, but you say a few posts above;

Emotive arguments are a very important part of the law, and an even greater part when the law is practically applied.

Despite this clear statement, you say in your last post;

I have never made the claim that the law is based on emotions!

You also say;

I have continously referred to ETHICS, NOT EMOTIONS!

Errr... I suggest you read what you write more closely; to not read another's response is rude, to not remember your own is... silly... however, as you responded directly to my request that you prove emotions are part of law (with quotations which proved MY point), your claims of never making that argument just make your new argument even more muddled and contradictory.

Additonally you accuse;

you dismissed all my insisting on the fact that ethics are the basis off all lawmaking

Please provide the quotation to support this claim, or is this another instance where your response to me shows you have either not read or fully understood what I have said? You won't be able to show me dismissing ethics from lawmaking... in fact you must realise this on some level because you also say about my last post;

... fact is, this is probably even the first time the word "ethics" has even occured in your posts!

How did I "dismissed all my insisting on the fact that ethics are the basis off all lawmaking" when you admit yourself I'd probably not used the word until responding to your last post?

I certainly don't say ethics has nothing to do with lawmaking there; just that without your assumption of equivalence there is not an ethical dimension to early term abortions. Previously I was merely showing that emotions are not part of lawmaking, which was a direct response to your above quoted claim.

LOL. So I guess I redirect this comment in your last post back at you;

So you are now trying to rewrite the history of this thread?

However, I choose not to apply this comment in your last post back at you;

You are the most dishonest debattant I have ever had an internet-discussion with! In my opinion, this discussion is now over.

... as I like to think you are prehaps a little muddle-headed in discussions and maybe at a disadvantage due to English not being your native language.

Any confusion over this issue Hellrider seems entirely due to your debating abilities and/or how closely you read the responses, plus possibly your English. I've even questioned whether 'ethics' and emotions' are synomynous in Norwegian as I have seen how confused an argument you've been making, and hoped by doing so it would make the thread less oppositional, but you ignored this in your eagerness to attack me for things you have done.

Don't get pissed with me if you mis-stated what your argument is, or if your 'forget' you have included x in your argument and later deny you had x in your argument. Will you now get angrier with me because you've made mistakes, or will you admit error when it occurs? You might note I don't have any problem doing this when I have made a mistake, as shown above.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Spectrum,

Not sure how your thread got hijacked into an abortion debate but anyway, I just wanted to mention that there are several lines of reasoning why the Outrage at Gibeah story at the end of Judges is probably false, was appended, or is at least anachronistic.

So my point is that one can take a view of the Bible that it still is valuable and is worthy of our attention and consideration without accepting that every iota or tittle is true (or even inspired).

-Eduardo

• Caedes
    Caedes

Hellrider,

At last we are getting somewhere, you are conceding that I was not judgemental but have in fact been complaining about my sarcasm. It suddenly all becomes clear, at least I hope it is, since you have failed to actually show me in what way I have judged Forscher…again. I consider it intellectual cowardice to ask other posters to back up a point that you are failing or unable to make yourself.

See my reply to Abaddon on this issue. Only a ...intelectually challenged person...would fail to see that even though we, as humans, sometimes have to weigh ethical principles towards eachother, and then, as a result, choosing to lay more wight on the one than the other, this does not excuse our behaviour, nor does it establish a presedence for ridding ourselves of the ethical principle that in some situations are outweighed by other principles. The fact that both you and Abaddon continue to harp on this, even though I have offered an explanation that is considered as legitimate among all philosophers and others that write and do research on ethical questions, is just ...beyond me.

So you are also arguing that "Only a ...intelectually challenged person" would fail to agree with your opinion. Well how on earth could I possibly disagree with you when you are backed up by "all philosophers and others that write and do research on ethical questions". I take it you are going to provide some evidence of that? Of course a truly intellectual person like yourself wouldn’t engage in merely ad hominem attacks when they cannot win an argument would they?

Which is exactly why the abortion-board should be back.

Why? So that people who aren’t "intelectually challenged". I.e people who agree with your extremist views can sit in judgement on other people.

Personally, I hate to use fanciful words and expressions when it is clear as day that these terms and expressions are designed with an agenda. Much better to just call a spade a spade.

Unlike your "pro-abortion" statement, that wasn’t designed with an agenda? You should really be more honest with yourself.

??? Say what? So none of my arguments are relevant, because they are based on a position you do not take? Well, the exact same thing could be said the other way!

All your other arguments on the issue of your entitlement to an opinion are irrelevant since they are not based on a position that I take, they are based on your assumptions.

My position is that you are entitled to an opinion on the subject, so your arguments that you are entitled to an opinion are irrelevant to this argument since I agree that you are entitled to an opinion.

And I am just shocked beyond belief that you are intelectually unable to realize this.

I do understand the legal and ethical issues behind this issue, and I would agree that a foetus does have value just not the same value as an adult human. Do you now wish to debate the case for abortion on legal grounds? Up to now you have indicated you didn’t wish to argue it on legal grounds. The ethics of the matter are for individuals to determine within the context of the current legal status of abortion. As I have repeatedly stated it is my opinion that it is up to individuals to choose not for someone else to choose for them.

those lefties

politically correct utrage

(and ironically, an argument that isn`t considered politically uncorrect when worded by liberals)

Just some of the occasions where you have attempted to use the term liberal and pc in a derogatory way. After all we are agreed on calling a spade a spade, so why the act of innocence, why not admit that you are using these terms with your own agenda?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Abaddon:

You are twisting words again. When I said that " I have never made the claim that the law is based on emotions!" - this is completely correct. Law is, and never was based on emotions, but I have made the claim that emotions are part of the Law, because they are, especially in legislation which deal with penalty for those that break the law, such as when I wrote:

And you know this very well, and because you know this very well, this makes you intelectually dishonest. You have, by all this, compromised your intelectual integrity, and you are therefore not considered a worthy debattatant, at least not in my book. I know that it must be tempting for you to resort to such tactics when you are on the brink of loosing a discussion, but personally, I find that to be less than honorable.

however, as you responded directly to my request that you prove emotions are part of law (with quotations which proved MY point),

Ridicolous. From where did that conclusion come from? From this?

Richard Posner is very critical to how much emotions should be reflected in Law. In “The Problematics of Moral and Legal Theory”,he says: ”:

Our discussions, and the issue we were discussing, was "are emotions part of the Law, or are they not?" I claimed that they are. We were discussing whether or not this descriptive claim of mine was true or not, we were not discussing the normative part of it (we were not discussing whether or not emotions should be part of the Law), something which I made very, very clear in my post (and of course, you know this, but you try to twist it around, becasue of your lack of intelectual integrity). This quotation doesn`t support your view, on the contrary. The fact that R.Posner feels that emotions should not be part of the Law (he made a normative judgement on it), rather supports my (descriptive) statement about the law, than the contrary (you should start of with learning this, by the way, the difference between descriptive and normative arguments).

Also, this is getting more and absurd. When I wrote "I have never made the claim that Law is based on emotions", I realize now that as you are unable to see distinctions, unable to relate to different parts of the argument at once, I must watch what I say constantly. The really bizzare part of this is, of course, that in some parts of the Law, on some levels of the Law, emotions do play a part, such as in penalty legislation (how long a person must be incarcarated for the various crimes). I showed this in:

-If law is completely devoid of ethics and morality, how can anything be considered wrong, and why should anything then be punishable? The fact is, that when a person commits a crime, society demands punishment! Not just protection of society, not just rehabilitation. Of course, you can argue that the law should be devoid of societys thirst for revenge (as many has done), which truly is an emotive motif, but as it is, this is simply not the case. In the U.S., they even have the death penalty. If the law was just about rehabilitation and protection of society (as in, keeping a harmful individual away from society, for the benefit of society as a whole) – then the death peanlty should not exist, because it is unnecessary and an unecessesarily cruel form of punishment. The death penalty is all about revenge (an emotional motive). Prison sentence is both about protection of society, rehabilitation (although it can be argued whether or not most correctional facilities are that concerned with rehabilitation) and, yes, revenge! Now, perhaps it shouldn`t be this way. (That would, of course, present us with some peculiar problems: If a pedophile rapes little children, and rehabilitation has been tried on this pedophile, without effect, then the logical solution would be, not to incarsarate him for his crimes, but move him into a community existing only of adults, lets, for arguments say, and enclosed town where only adults live. Now, would you agree that this would be the appropriate way to deal with someone that has raped children? Or...would you want...punishment!?). The fact is, ethics and emotions are an inseperable part of law. In fact, most universities and law schools have, as a part of their legal department, a sub-department called “department og law and ethichs”...

This does not invalidate my "I have never made the claim that the Law is based on emotions". The key word here is "based"! Even in penalty legislation, the law is not based on emotions, such as the desire for revenge (but it is part of the legislation on punishment) - it is based on ethics. It is unethical to murder, hence, it is against the law. If someone is guilty, then they should be punished (and on this, the emotions starts playing a role in the law). Now, when I wrote "I have never made the claim that the Law is based on emotions", I was referring to how you have continously dealt with my ethical arguments thruout the entire thread! You have, in almost every instance where I have brought up ethical considerations, dismissed this as simple emotions. Fortunately, your posts are there, so I can easily prove this. In one post, I wrote:

A featus does have a chance not only "coming to life", it also has the potential to become an extremely intelligent person. This difference that I am highlighting here, is a the difference of potential, which is an important (ethical - and this is what it`s all about) factor in the minds of the doctors, when they have to make the ethical choice on whether or not to switch of the life-sustaining machine.

So, I made an ethical consideration, but you, in your response, completely ignored this, and just waved it off like "emotional bs", when you wrote:

You are yet to explain to me using secular facts why the law is wrong. You repeat yourself, but provide facts? No.

You are using the 'potential' argument; I have already said I will consider that worth responding to when you can demonstrate we extract the maximum potential possible from those that are already born. To say 'don't abort the fetus, think of its potential' and not to say 'let's eliminate child poverty and social disadvantage, think of the potential' is to use the argument of potential only when it suits you. Inconsistent arguments are not logical. Logic and consistency make laws.

I find it to be very interesting that you here show your complete ignorance on ethical considerations. Abruptly, you just burst out with your usual "logic and consistency make laws", in an effort to dismiss my ethical considerations as just emotional bs (yeah yeah, you didn`t use that word, but it is definitely implied. Now, I expect you to make a big deal of this, like I kid going "noooo, I didn`t sayyyy that!") . And in another post I wrote:

On the contrary. After twenty weeks, "nothing significant happens", other than a doubling of the weight. Hence, there is nothing more unethical (within your view) about aborting a featus in week...35 than in week 20. If you want to allow abortion up until week 16 (or 20?) - I see no reason why week 35 should not be allowed. There is no significant difference in the featus at week 35, other than that it`s bigger.

Again, I made an ethical and logical consideration. I made the claim that if you think it is ethical (although you have never used this word, simply because you don`t know what the word means, and because you are unaware of your own ethical considerations, this is what you meant) to allow abortions up until week 16, then it is not unethical (again, an ethical consideration on my part) to allow them thruout the entire pregnancy, because, as you said, "nothing significant happens in the development of the fetus after week 20, other than growth". My argument here was clearly based on ethical considerations and logic, the way a debate should be done. In your response, again, you simply ignore my ethical and logical considerations as "emotional bs":

I didn't say this, and this shows you have some semi-magical basis for your opposition. You claim you have a secular argument, but it is an emotional one. My choice of twenty weeks as a hard limit for social abortions is precisely due to the completion of some parts of brain growth that mean abortion does become an ethical issue at this point. You feel, quite why you've not explained (although it looking like an ickle baby is obviously one factor) that ANY abortion is bad at any point (apart from rape or incest where suddenly the fetus can be aborted through no fault of its own). It's a feeling. Since when are feelings the basis of secular (as we are having a secular discussion) law?

So, again, you did your best to confuse this discussion of ours by trying to mix the terms "ethics" and "emotions" together. And now you are trying to use this confusion, that you are responsible for, against me?!

This is called intellectual dishonesty.

There are countless other examples, but frankly, I am getting bored. I think much of the confusion here lies in the fact that you know so little about ethics and law. You have just made a google-search and found some piece of amateurish BS that gives a medical support for abortion, and voilà, case colsed (you think). This is a bit to simplified for me. Also, the fact that I thruout the entire thread am forced to teach you about Law, the ethical considerations that are the basis of Law, and the both ethical and emotional elements that parttake in constituing penalty legislation for those that trespass the Law, has made this into a very difficult (and frankly, boring) debate for me.

;... as I like to think you are prehaps a little muddle-headed in discussions and maybe at a disadvantage due to English not being your native language.

Any confusion over this issue Hellrider seems entirely due to your debating abilities and/or how closely you read the responses, plus possibly your English. I've even questioned whether 'ethics' and emotions' are synomynous in Norwegian as I have seen how confused an argument you've been making, and hoped by doing so it would make the thread less oppositional, but you ignored this in your eagerness to attack me for things you have done.

Actually, I am quite competent in debating in the english language. And no, ethics (etikk, norwegian) and emotions (følelser, norwegian) are of course not synonymious in the norwegian language. I am starting to think they might be synonymious in dutch, as you have, thruout the entire thread, believed that whenever I was referring ethics, I was just referring to emotions. I am not sure though, whether this was a deliberat ploy on your part, or whether it was just due to ignorance. I believe it was a deliberate ploy (and of course, this means you are intellectually dishonest).
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

Hellrider

Lots of 'outrage', but no comment about your statement;

I have continously referred to ETHICS, NOT EMOTIONS!

... which I quoted above. You respond to the other quote, the one that allows you some room to wriggle, but I provided TWO QUOTES, as I realised the first one you would be able to mitigate to some extent, but the absolute statement above? The one that shows the extent of your contradictory and muddled argument? You ignore it rather than admit error. Either that or you don't know what the word 'continuously' means, as the fact you 'continously' DO refer to emotions AND ethics means this statement is simply FALSE. Which of the two options is it?

Also, no proof of your claim;

you dismissed all my insisting on the fact that ethics are the basis off all lawmaking

... which I asked for above, because you CAN'T prove it, because it is a FALSE claim. Do you retract the statement? Do you react to me pointing out you contradicted your own claim in the very same post by saying I hadn't previously even used the word 'ethics'? No.

Since when was lying about someone else's words a credible technique in a discussion? I've proved what you've said by quoting your words back at you; you just ignore them and can't even provide quotes to back your claims, and have no comments about triping over your own feet as you so 'eloquently' do.

I agree with you on one point; that this is boring. You're muddled, contradictory, evasive, make statements you can't support, and are apparently incapable of admitting error.

I now have a new challange for you; why not go one step further and instead of not reading what I write properly (a charitable way of explaining your mistakes), simply don't bother reading what I write at all?

This will enable you to continue ignoring the fact your insistence of ethical implications is only possible through a sustained circular argument of equivalence, which under standard terms of proof and debate, it is your duty to demonstrate, as it is your claim - and one extraordinary enough to require firm proof, having as much substance as a religious claim of abortion being wrong.

Enjoy yourself... oh, and I'm English, not Dutch, I live in the Netherlands...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit