Which massacres did Jehovah sanction?

by Spectrum 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

The ones I'm familiar with are from the repercussion of the rape and murder of the Levites concubine. Judges 19-21
    About 100,000 died in battle then all the towns of benjamin were put to the sword as were the people that didn't join in against the Benjamites.
    The following verses shows how reprehensible the jewish God was.

=====
    Judges 21
    6 Now the Israelites grieved for their brothers, the Benjamites. "Today one tribe is cut off from Israel," they said. 7 "How can we provide wives for those who are left, since we have taken an oath by the LORD not to give them any of our daughters in marriage?" 8 Then they asked, "Which one of the tribes of Israel failed to assemble before the LORD at Mizpah?" They discovered that no one from Jabesh Gilead had come to the camp for the assembly. 9 For when they counted the people, they found that none of the people of Jabesh Gilead were there.

10 So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children. 11 "This is what you are to do," they said. "Kill every male and every woman who is not a virgin." 12 They found among the people living in Jabesh Gilead four hundred young women who had never slept with a man, and they took them to the camp at Shiloh in Canaan.
    =====

Can anyone deny that the jewish god was demonic? Putting innocent women and children to death because their tribe did not join in a bloody massacre of the innocents.

Honestly how can anyone in the 21st century take this book seriously.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

*** it-1 p. 107 Angel ***

, O you angels of his, mighty in power, carrying out his word." Angelic knowledge and power were displayed when two angels brought flaming destruction upon Sodom and Gomorrah. A single angel killed 185,000 of the Assyrian army

• Forscher
    Forscher

How can anyone in the twenty-first century take the writings of Karl Marx seriously considering the abject failure of his theories and the bloody record of those who followed them? But many still do! Personally, I am not going to dump all over God like some do. Try comparing the God of the Bible with the Gods of the Assyrians, Philistines, Babylonians, Aztecs, Mayans, and a few others around the globe, and he isn't so bad after all. And really, considering the wholesale slaughter of innocents going on in the name of "a woman's right to choose", I have to ask myself just how we can dare claim the moral right to judge him?
    But guess what? We do! I prefer Miyagi's take on the matter. Remember that he told Daniel san not to disparage the Gods, one of them might be listening!
    Good night.
    Forscher

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I like this one:

Duet 2:30 But Sihon king of Heshbon would not let us (the Israelite army) pass by him: for the LORD thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate..... And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.

Charming eh?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    And really, considering the wholesale slaughter of innocents going on in the name of "a woman's right to choose", I have to ask myself just how we can dare claim the moral right to judge him?

That`s fu##ing right!!!

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

"And really, considering the wholesale slaughter of innocents going on in the name of "a woman's right to choose", I have to ask myself just how we can dare claim the moral right to judge him?"

I can't see the connection. Abortionists don't mitigate the wholesale slaughter of the innocents. Look at the context in which Jehovah was sanctioning the killings carried out by his chosen people. And yes as a thinking person a do judge him.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab
    Judges 18:27 As for them, they took what Micah had made and the priest that had become his, and they kept going toward Laish, against a people quiet and unsuspecting. And they proceeded to strike them with the edge of the sword, and the city they burned with fire.

Ever see the movie Conan the Barbarian? The opening sequence contains what must be a fairly accurate re-enactment of how the Merciful God Jehovah, the very Personification of Love, sent his people to destroy a "quiet and unsuspecting" village when it introduces THE VILLAINS!!!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Forscher:

Try comparing the God of the Bible with the Gods of the Assyrians, Philistines, Babylonians, Aztecs, Mayans, and a few others around the globe, and he isn't so bad after all.

Oh, well that's OK then. If he's not as bad as some of the other ancient tribal war gods, then what's the problem? That's certainly what I'm looking for in a deity, someone who isn't Number One on the "Cruellest War Gods" list. The god of the Bible had his people commit genocide repeatedly. He slaughtered his own people on numerous occasions. He destroyed his enemies - and his servants - whenever he felt the urge. He made arbitrary rules and enforced them capriciously. He was a thoroughly nasty character.

And really, considering the wholesale slaughter of innocents going on in the name of "a woman's right to choose", I have to ask myself just how we can dare claim the moral right to judge him?

What a pathetic excuse for an argument. Something takes place which you controversially equate to murder. Therefore, nobody can judge someone who orders genocide and sanctions child rape.

But guess what? We do! I prefer Miyagi's take on the matter. Remember that he told Daniel san not to disparage the Gods, one of them might be listening!

If your god were listening, then I would still curse his name. He is, as Richard Dawkins called him, one of the most unpleasant characters in all of fiction.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. --Rev.19:13
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    Try comparing the God of the Bible with the Gods of the Assyrians, Philistines, Babylonians, Aztecs, Mayans, and a few others around the globe, and he isn't so bad after all. And really, considering the wholesale slaughter of innocents going on in the name of "a woman's right to choose", I have to ask myself just how we can dare claim the moral right to judge him?

So, less sick violent and bloodthirsty (but still sick violent and bloodthirsty) is a GOOD thing? That makes sense... nah, I'll have Saddam, he's not as bad as Lenin... LOL

As for wholesale slaughter of inoccents... perlease... if you feel some divine spark equivalent to a grown human enters an egg at the moment of conception or even before, then obviously we'll never agree...

... but to compare abortion (the average weight of an aborted fetus is under 100 grammes (3 1/2 oz), quite probably nearer to 25 grammes), with (in both cases) less neural tissue than a pet rat. I know it might look human, but I think this is a large part of the issue. If a 16 week-term fetus had scales and wasn't human shaped, no one would think twice about the issue. Because it's human shaped (albeit a few inches long at most long) people understandably equate appearance of humanity with humanity, despite the fact there is no comparison to even a 24 week fetus (6 times the size and neurally complex) in terms of development, let alone a new born.

And those innocents killed by god's command were born humans. I find the comparison invalid and invideous (unless you apply some divine paradigm to it), which is your right, but not your right to apply to others.

Oh, and there is no prohibiton against abortion in the OT. None. The proper word for it doesn't even appear, even though the practise was known. Laws about not having sex with animals, laws about boiling kids in their mother's milk, laws about not wearing polycotton, laws about having a fringe round your garments, but laws about abortion? NONE.

So, have your opinion and live by it and luck to you with it, and leave it there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit